aminley

Is this enough proof? (Morocco)

8 posts in this topic

Firstly, I know that the approval depends on a lot of factors and it's hard to tell me directly but I'd just like some opinions of people that have been through this. After reading advice from others on here, I think it would be best to go with the CR-1 Visa. My boyfriend lives in Morocco and I'm visiting him for the first time in June. My plan is to stay there for 3 weeks this time and then go for a second time in December, stay a month that time, and get married that time. I wanted to mention some other things...

-We have proof that we've been together and texting/video-chatting nearly everyday for two years

-I have proof that I text his sister often and that he texts my mom occasionally

-We don't really have an age difference. He's 5 years older than me

-His English is pretty good and is constantly getting better. I only use google translate for a specific word here and there

I don't know if these things mean anything but I hope so. I know that two visits isn't a lot but I hope the fact that I'm staying for a long-ish amount of time and the things I mentioned above will help? 

Also, can anyone else that has married someone from Morocco tell me how they managed to stay together? I've heard that Morocco has a policy against unmarried couples staying together, but my boyfriend said that some places (specifically apartments) don't care as much. I'm thinking about renting an apartment through airbnb and checking with the owner beforehand to see if it's okay or not. Does anyone else have a better idea? I want to see my boyfriend as much as possible but I also don't want to break the law. 

Edited by aminley

My advice? Slow down...you haven’t even met him yet but you are already planning marriage and a spousal visa. Those are huge life decisions. Take time to get to know him. Visit several times, not just for the best visa approval chance but to give your relationship chance to grow. 

When you do visit, gather evidence of time spent together. That’s much better than evidence of texting his sister. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
11 minutes ago, JFH said:

My advice? Slow down...you haven’t even met him yet but you are already planning marriage and a spousal visa. Those are huge life decisions. Take time to get to know him. Visit several times, not just for the best visa approval chance but to give your relationship chance to grow. 

When you do visit, gather evidence of time spent together. That’s much better than evidence of texting his sister. 

Yes, I agreed!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 minutes ago, JFH said:

I second this....Dear your boyfriend is from a tough country like mine....do not marry on the first visit....return a second or third time and then marry....then start gathering your evidence for each trip you make . Embassies like those are big on family and face to face time...slow down. The most devastating decision is being in AP for a long time or denied. 

Edited by Mrsamoah2019

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

First: Morocco is on the list of high fraud countries so slow down, take your time and build more evidence for SPOUSE visa. You will need a lot more proof thn just a text to his sister.

*Take more trips before his interview 

*Flight itineraries of all trips

*Passport/Visa stamps 

*Boading passes

*Add him as beneficiary to your life insurance, 401k, or health insurance 

*Open or add him to your bank accounts 

*Photos with family and friends. 

*Wedding photos with his family and friends one or two members of ur family should there for the wedding. ( lots of family photos)

*Text/call

*Facebook post 

*Email chat

*Exchange of gifts

*Chat/Call between families 

*Receipts of wedding expenses 

*Receipts of places u visited/Stayed

*DO NOT GET MARRIED ON THE 1ST. TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband is also from the list of high fraud countries (Ghana) we got married on my 3rd trip.  My mother, sister, cousin and nieces were all in Ghana for the wedding....After the wedding in April 2018, I went back for my birthday in October 2018 (4th trip). I'm currently planning on going back there with my mother for our 1 year wedding anniversary ending for March into April 2019 (5trip) thn I'll be there again for his interview (6th trip).

Edited by AfricanQ

Yes, I definitely will get to know him in person. I won't start the process until December on my second visit and that's assuming that everything goes well. I'm just the type of person that likes to plan ahead...especially with a process as big as this one. 

@AfricanQ Thank you for the good advice. I will make sure to print out proof of the things we already have from your list and do the ones that we don't. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to MENA regional forum; OP is asking for Morocco specific answers.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think you have a good plan. It's good to take the first visit to get to know each other, and then marry on a 2nd or future visit. This will allow you to include more evidence of your relationship in your CR1 visa petition. 

I visited my boyfriend (now husband) 4 times in Morocco before he came here and we got married. His family has pretty open views, so I stayed in the family home with him each time I visited. If you can't stay in the family home, it can be difficult to find apartments that will rent to unmarried couples. You cannot spend the night with him in a hotel or airbnb without breaking the law, since it is illegal for unmarried couples to share a bedroom in a hotel together if they are not married. Like you mentioned, some private apartment or airbnb owners (even some hotels) will be willing to let an unmarried couple stay together, and people do this often and rarely face any serious consequences. Though, like I mentioned before, this technically is illegal. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.