9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Are there any honest Attorney's available in Columbus, Georgia to complete your immigration case or Do you really need an Attorney to do your case?   Reason I asked is because I used an attorney which I thought was honest and going to help me and my husband with our case.  From the very beginning he told me the filing fee for the I-130 was $1,070 and his fee was $1000.   I found out from Immigration (USCIS) that the fee is $535 for the I-130 Petition.    Also he advised me that it would only take about two weeks for him to complete the paperwork and file it with Immigration.  This was back in February 2018 it is now February 2019.  He took all of my money and did absolutely nothing on my case.  When I talked to Immigration they told me I could file on my own behalf.  So I sent this local, no client ever in his office attorney a respectful letter asking him to return my money so I could file on my own.  Of course this dishonest attorney refused to return my money.  So I'm currently going through the State of Georgia Bar Association to request my funds from this attorney so that I can go ahead and file the Petition for my husband.  I'm so upset because this attorney wasted our time, and money,  playing games with me and giving me the run around every single week starting from February 2018 to August 2018 when he asked me to stop calling him every week asking him when he will complete my case and send it to USCIS.  This is when I truly started realizing he had stolen my money and was not intending on helping me and my husband with our case from the very beginning.  So my suggestion to anyone thinking of hiring an Attorney to file a Petition for them to please do your research and look at all the reviews of these Attorneys as well as talking to someone that may have used the Attorney you decide to have represent you.  I did not do my research, I trusted what this man said to me.  Now I have to continue talking to my sweet husband, my FaceTime, Facebook Messaging and FaceBook Messaging Video Chat,  Emails and sometimes phone calls which the phone calls are expensive from USA to India.  We only resort to the phone calls if the internet service is not working well in India.  But we have to see each other, talk to each other and show our love for each other daily.  

Uhm, You have a civil dispute with the attorney and a complaint with state bar. I don't see an immigration question here. 

You you document your attempts to contact with him in writings, that will strengthen your case with the state bar. When contacting him, you should use the words "abandonment of a client". 

Good luck!

Timeline

Most likely you are correct it wasn't an immigration question.  Except of the question do I need an attorney or not.  I'm wondering if it is best to hire an attorney to complete the filing or just do it on my own behalf.  Also I did vent a little and I apologize, but this matter is very upsetting to me.  Thanks for your response and I will take all of this information into account.  Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Pamela Singh said:

do I need an attorney or not

It does not sound like you need an attorney.   Just follow the guides and research here and ask any questions.

This is very do-it-yourself unless there are issues about prior deportations and overstays.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

No attorneys needed for a non-complicated CR-1 filing. 

ON a side note, calls between the US and India are rather inexpensive. Whatsapp is a highly used App in India and calls over the internet are free. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline

We have used whatsapp in the past, but for some reason our connect was always very poor.  So we just use Iphone  FaceTime, FaceBook Video Chat and Messaging, Emails and Direct Phone Calls.  Which the Direct calls are pricey.  But in the area in which my husband lives and the service he can afford, the network is very poor and very slow.   When the Network is not working this is when we do the Direct Calls.  But either way we never miss a day of talking to each other....Lol

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Where is he in India? 

Did the lawyer actually file the case? If so, he should have shared the case number with you. Before we found this site, we too had a lawyer for our CR1 case who shared the case progress with us and responded to our calls/queries. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.