N & Nancy

Birth Cert Rejected by NVC without Explanation

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've reached out to a couple of CR members directly, but I wanted to cast a wider net. I happened to call the NVC tonight and found out my wife's birth certificate was rejected today. No messages on the portal, no explanations from the operator, only that it does not conform to the requirements. I  called back and spoke to two different operators who told me the same exact thing. One guessed that it was because my receipt was covering the title page, but was not sure. The second sent a supervisor request, but there is no time-frame on that.

Can anyone see what is wrong with the linked document below? It appears to come from the right issuing authority, per the NVC Reciprocity Website. I hope to be able to submit again this week. My wife is going to get another copy (via an 8 hour bus ride to Chepe...fun fun). But it seems hopeless to submit the same document and expect a different result.

Thanks for any advice...

Link to Redacted Cert

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, N & Nancy said:

Hi All,

I've reached out to a couple of CR members directly, but I wanted to cast a wider net. I happened to call the NVC tonight and found out my wife's birth certificate was rejected today. No messages on the portal, no explanations from the operator, only that it does not conform to the requirements. I  called back and spoke to two different operators who told me the same exact thing. One guessed that it was because my receipt was covering the title page, but was not sure. The second sent a supervisor request, but there is no time-frame on that.

Can anyone see what is wrong with the linked document below? It appears to come from the right issuing authority, per the NVC Reciprocity Website. I hope to be able to submit again this week. My wife is going to get another copy (via an 8 hour bus ride to Chepe...fun fun). But it seems hopeless to submit the same document and expect a different result.

Thanks for any advice...

Link to Redacted Cert

hi

you can't even read the certificate, try sending it without the receipt, they just need the certificate. it covers the whole right side and it's not readable  There are a couple of pages that you sent with and without the receipt, it's confusing. keep it simple, without any staples or receipt, each page one time. Make it clear and simple for them to see

Edited by aleful

Yes, that's definitely one option. Costa Rica started using the receipts instead of the timbres recently, so I thought they should be included. I scanned each page with and without the receipts so, but I did not detach them fully so they do cover some words near the top. This might have been incorrect, but none of the representatives I have talked to (3 at this point) can tell me what is wrong with it.

To make it more confusing, I called again this morning and was told it was NOT rejected and hasn't been reviewed....even though there is a note saying that the document didn't meet the requirements.

So two agents told me it was rejected, and one said it was NOT rejected and I'm in some limbo because it has not been 3 weeks from submission.

To make it worse, it's been flagged for supervisor review.....which could add another 6 weeks, at least.

Soooooo, confusing.

25 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

you can't even read the certificate, try sending it without the receipt, they just need the certificate. it covers the whole right side and it's not readable  There are a couple of pages that you sent with and without the receipt, it's confusing. keep it simple, without any staples or receipt, each page one time. Make it clear and simple for them to see

Edited by N & Nancy
typo

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I would suggest following their guidelines for uploading documentation. The documents should be scanned in 1 file. The front and back should be scanned if an impression of a seal is shown. The first page should be the original birth certificate sealed by a government official. The second page should be the translation of the original document if needed. The receipts should not be sent unless they are specifically requested by the NVC. If you must show the receipt, you should scan the receipt for the final page with an english explanation of what the receipt is for.

3 minutes ago, JP87 said:

I would suggest following their guidelines for uploading documentation. The documents should be scanned in 1 file. The front and back should be scanned if an impression of a seal is shown. The first page should be the original birth certificate sealed by a government official. The second page should be the translation of the original document if needed. The receipts should not be sent unless they are specifically requested by the NVC. If you must show the receipt, you should scan the receipt for the final page with an english explanation of what the receipt is for.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, the document is invalid without the timbre receipts, which take the place of the physical timbres which are no longer issued. This is stated on the document (in Spanish) itself.

My understanding is that an English translation of documents is not required for the NVC stage, so long as they are in the official language of the country. Direct quote from the NVC document guide: "All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations."

I'd considered getting a translation anyway, but didn't want to overload the document and have to reduce the resolution too much.

I really think the NVC is just unaware that the timbres were replaced with "timber receipts". My wife picked up a new copy this week. It turns out CR actually changed the process AGAIN, and now ONE physical timbre is issued.

I also called and spoke to the embassy in CR, but they refused to answer any questions on the required documents because the case hadn't yet been transferred to by the NVC. 🙄

With any luck, this new document will get us by. Thanks again for your input!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

No receipts and no apostille.  Receipts can go on a separate page if you think you need to send them.  You will never see a request for apostille.  There is no question that the attached receipts are the problem.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

32 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

No receipts and no apostille.  Receipts can go on a separate page if you think you need to send them.  You will never see a request for apostille.  There is no question that the attached receipts are the problem.

Huh, so it says on the document that it is "canceled" without the receipts, which are the new equivalent of the previously issued physical timbres. Do you think it will be accepted if it is invalidated (cancelled)?

I think you are right, and it must be that they are on the front. Although, the police certificate, which was accepted, had the same receipts attached to the front. It was also apostatized. This is why I am totally confused. It was a different document from the same authority with all the same paperwork (receipts, apostille, etc). It was accepted without comment.

For the new submission, last Friday, the I submitted first page unobstructed. I removed the receipts and attached them to the separate pages. Hopefully this will be accepted.

Again, thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated. 

Edited by N & Nancy

Timeline

No apostille is needed.  (Past tense is apostilled)  Having the apostille should not be a problem.

Apostatized would refer to a person who has committed apostasy.  Just FYI

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

No apostille is needed.  (Past tense is apostilled)  Having the apostille should not be a problem.

Apostatized would refer to a person who has committed apostasy.  Just FYI

Haha, thanks for the correction. Done in by auto-correct!

So what do you think about not including the timbre receipts when the document says "Nula si no constan cancelados los derechos y timbres en boleta adjunta" at the bottom?

This roughly translates as "void unless evidence of payment of fees and the required cancelled revenue stamps are shown to be at".

Timeline
6 minutes ago, N & Nancy said:

Haha, thanks for the correction. Done in by auto-correct!

So what do you think about not including the timbre receipts when the document says "Nula si no constan cancelados los derechos y timbres en boleta adjunta" at the bottom?

This roughly translates as "void unless evidence of payment of fees and the required cancelled revenue stamps are shown to be at".

In order for the document to be fully scanned, you must remove the receipts and include them in a separate page.  If they can't read the whole document, the scan is no good.  Consular Officers understand that.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

I re-submitted last Friday, as you've described with receipts and apostille on separate pages. Looks like I should be A-ok, based on your input.

Hoping for the best! Thanks again for the advice. 

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up, I was documentarily qualified today. Thanks everyone for the help. Hope this all comes to a close soon....

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.