KJ2

I-864 versus I-864a

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am aware of the definitions listed as to when you can use the I-864a.  In my case, I can definitely use my father who lives with me as a co-sponsor and he can fill out the I-864a.  My question is not whether he can use the I-864a, but rather can we choose not to pool our income and we can both fill out a separate I-864?  I am a student so my income is not sufficient, however he has more than enough income to provide sponsorship on his own.  I don't know if there is a penalty for not using the I-864a if it applies and if we can choose to both file I-864 separately since in a few months I will be moving out and graduating anyway.  Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It doesn't make a difference ether way. If you are living in the same house but not really being fully dependent on your father, you can both file i-864. If he claims you on taxes he has to use the i-864a because you're a dependent. Even if you are able to make more money later, the i-864/I-864a still requires him to take financial responsibility for you. 

The only problem I foresee is NVC just deciding based on address that you are part of the same household and issuing an RFE for the i-864a. So In that case it might make sense to just use it since there's really no difference in responsibilities based on which you fill out. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

On 1/30/2019 at 12:41 AM, Keas said:

It doesn't make a difference ether way. If you are living in the same house but not really being fully dependent on your father, you can both file i-864. If he claims you on taxes he has to use the i-864a because you're a dependent. Even if you are able to make more money later, the i-864/I-864a still requires him to take financial responsibility for you. 

The only problem I foresee is NVC just deciding based on address that you are part of the same household and issuing an RFE for the i-864a. So In that case it might make sense to just use it since there's really no difference in responsibilities based on which you fill out. 

thank you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 1/29/2019 at 11:41 PM, Keas said:

It actually DOES make a difference.  The I-864a is used when combining income or filing joint tax returns with a household member.  Neither applies here, as the parent qualifies on their own.  If they NEEDED to combine income, then the I-864a would be the way to go.

Being claimed as a dependant has NOTHING to do with which form is applicable.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I-864a is not only for combining income. If they share households you use the i-864a even if the household member's( cosponsor) income alone is sufficient. Point being the petitioner needs to decide how many persons he wants to count in his household, If he'll count the dad or not. 

I-864a contact between household member and sponsor regardless of whether they are combining incomes or if only the household members income alone is being used. 

If his dad claims him he is automatically part of his household since they share the same residence and would need to use i-864a

Edited by Keas

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

15 hours ago, Keas said:

I-864a is not only for combining income. If they share households you use the i-864a even if the household member's( cosponsor) income alone is sufficient. Point being the petitioner needs to decide how many persons he wants to count in his household, If he'll count the dad or not. 

I-864a contact between household member and sponsor regardless of whether they are combining incomes or if only the household members income alone is being used. 

If his dad claims him he is automatically part of his household since they share the same residence and would need to use i-864a

Not really.  Even if Dad claims him as a dependent on his taxes he could still use an I-864 vs I-864a.  The dad would just have to mark down on his I-864 one more household member. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, NikLR said:

Not really.  Even if Dad claims him as a dependent on his taxes he could still use an I-864 vs I-864a.  The dad would just have to mark down on his I-864 one more household member. 

Correct.  There is a difference between being required to use a form and being allowed to use the form.  Allowed, will be determined by the Consular Officer.  Consular officers want sponsors with sufficient income to provide an I-864, not the I-864a.

While it is correct, that the I-864a is not ONLY for combining income, it would only be used by the father in this case if there is a need to combine income.  As I stated, it is for combining income OR for a joint filing spouse, whether they have income or not.  Keas is simply incorrect on both the form's use in this case AND in the assertion that claiming the petitioner on their taxes forces the use of the I-864a.  It technically "allows it", not requires it, and it is still not a good idea, UNLESS they NEED to combine income to qualify.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.