Land of L

Anyone Planing to Submit N-400 to speed up I-751 process

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You shouldn't file N-400 with the objective of speeding up the I-751 process because you most likely will not achieve your objective. There might have been a window about a year ago where many local offices were all caught up and handling combo n-400/i-751 cases as they received them, but since that time almost all local offices have experienced a growing backlog, some worse than others.

If your ultimate objective is to be a US citizen then file N-400 as soon as you qualify to get in the queue as soon as possible. You will receive naturalization in the quickest possible way if you do this. But note you might experience a delay in the adjudication of the i-751 if you do this.

If your ultimate objective is to have a 10 year green card as soon as possible, you should consider holding off filing the N-400. Check your local office's backlog (average pendency time) to be certain.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Russ&Caro- you are right.  If your goal is to get citizenship, better to apply for N-400 when the window is open.  I did it almost one and 1/2 months ago and my I-751 is still pending, but my estimated N-400 completion time is Feb 2020, so I am getting close everyday.  I got I-551 stamp valid until Jan 2020.  Hopefully, i-551 stamp is equivalent to physical green card and will be citizen by end of 2019.

40 minutes ago, BlueBuy said:

Is there Anyone Planing to Submit N-400 to speed up I-751 process?

Hello @BlueBuy!

Unfortunately, there is nothing speedy when it comes to USCIS processing times😥

Currently, there is a huge backlog, especially for I-751 and N-400 applications. No matter what you do it will not be completed fast. Some people reported here their experiences with combo interviews while other people said here about issues - they were called for N-400 and only at the interview for citizenship the officer realized that I-751 had not been completed. Thus, they had to come back later...

You did not provide your Field Office. Some Field Offices are less busy than others.

It is hard to predict what will happen in your particular case.

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

2 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

You shouldn't file N-400 with the objective of speeding up the I-751 process because you most likely will not achieve your objective. There might have been a window about a year ago where many local offices were all caught up and handling combo n-400/i-751 cases as they received them, but since that time almost all local offices have experienced a growing backlog, some worse than others.

If your ultimate objective is to be a US citizen then file N-400 as soon as you qualify to get in the queue as soon as possible. You will receive naturalization in the quickest possible way if you do this. But note you might experience a delay in the adjudication of the i-751 if you do this.

If your ultimate objective is to have a 10 year green card as soon as possible, you should consider holding off filing the N-400. Check your local office's backlog (average pendency time) to be certain.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Got it. Thanks for the info! It"s very helpful.

1 hour ago, Kiolas said:

Hello @BlueBuy!

Unfortunately, there is nothing speedy when it comes to USCIS processing times😥

Currently, there is a huge backlog, especially for I-751 and N-400 applications. No matter what you do it will not be completed fast. Some people reported here their experiences with combo interviews while other people said here about issues - they were called for N-400 and only at the interview for citizenship the officer realized that I-751 had not been completed. Thus, they had to come back later...

You did not provide your Field Office. Some Field Offices are less busy than others.

It is hard to predict what will happen in your particular case.

It make sense. Thanks for the info!

Edited by BlueBuy

6 minutes ago, geroaj said:

I am going to wait for my 10year green card first... once i get it we will apply for citizenship right away 

why? what's the reason behind this decision?

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, geroaj said:

I heard it takes longer if i apply for citizenship without getting I751 approved..we travel a lot so want to have the 10year green card instead of traveling with an extension letter. Just my personal choice 

From what I've seen it depends on your field office, since the petitions are then joined. So if N-400s are taking 12+ months at your field office and your I-751 is 3 months from being approved, it's going to take 12+ months to get anything approved so it makes no sense to just wait to have the 10-year card in-hand.

That's anecdotal, though.

My husband will be simply because his goal is to be a citizen. Might as well get it over with as soon as we can, but we know the wait is long and aren't expecting it to speed things up.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have seen people at my local field office getting combo interviews with a decent processing time. I plan to apply in two months when my window opens. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.