Jump to content
Toasty_Kitten

I'm a U.S Citizen, Wife is German (Temporary stay for Internship)

27 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

 

Me and my wife have been studying in Berlin, Germany for about 2 years (married 3 years ago in the US), and want to do our mandatory Internship back in the US at the end of this year.

 

We've been looking around a bunch for a Visa for her and are confused about all the different options for our situation: Temporary Work, Training Period, Student, or Spouse Visas.

 

We would be in the US for 4-5 months, what would be our easiest option?

 

I would call in to get direct advice, but living in Germany makes that difficult.

 

Thank you so much for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toasty_Kitten said:

Hello everyone!

 

Me and my wife have been studying in Berlin, Germany for about 2 years (married 3 years ago in the US), and want to do our mandatory Internship back in the US at the end of this year.

 

We've been looking around a bunch for a Visa for her and are confused about all the different options for our situation: Temporary Work, Training Period, Student, or Spouse Visas.

 

We would be in the US for 4-5 months, what would be our easiest option?

 

I would call in to get direct advice, but living in Germany makes that difficult.

 

Thank you so much for any help!

Spouse visa directly filed with the uscis in Frankfurt if you intend to remain and live in the USA 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/intern/

 

Tourist visa or student visa or spouse visa (????) are not for internship purpose.


K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toasty_Kitten said:

"We would be in the US for 4-5 months..."

 

We'd be returning to Berlin finish our studies.

What is your wife's citizenship? I assume you are a US citizen, though it wasn't clear from your post.
Also, what is the nature of the internship? Is it paid, not paid? Is it working or is it primarily studying?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

What is your wife's citizenship? I assume you are a US citizen, though it wasn't clear from your post.
Also, what is the nature of the internship? Is it paid, not paid? Is it working or is it primarily studying?

 

 

She has a German Citizenship, and it would likely be a paid Internship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toasty_Kitten said:

Yes we eventually plan to live later in the U.S. So we should just get a Spouse Visa right away then, is that something permanent?

Depends on the definition of "later"


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spouse visa leads to the green card, and having green cards means living in the US, not Germany. Too much time spend in Germany and your wife will simply loose the green card.

 

Look into the intern visa.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Too much time.  Spouse visa is the option 5 years from now 

6 minutes ago, Roel said:

Spouse visa leads to the green card, and having green cards means living in the US, not Germany. Too much time spend in Germany and your wife will simply loose the green card.

 

Look into the intern visa.

Okay, we'll focus on obtaining an Internship Visa then.

 

Thank you so much for the quick assistance!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI

 

i have a relative here now on student visa

this process is not fast

1   apply to college or university

2   after being accepted,  pay the fee to hold the spot

3   start the student visa application / many of the larger universities have a lawyer to help with this if you can show  u have the necessary funds to pay for tuition and room and board

4  took my relative over a year to go thru this process 

DFC is available in Germany but requires the USC meets the poverty level guidelines for sponsoring the beneficary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×