Alabamak1

Filing 2018 taxes

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi:

Since there is a partial shutdown of the government....are we going to be able to file for 2018 tax year already? I know it is not necessary, but I would like to file early so I can have another evidence for our AOS interview in February. My wife came in 2018, so we can file jointly. 

Thanks

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Hi:

Since there is a partial shutdown of the government....are we going to be able to file for 2018 tax year already? I know it is not necessary, but I would like to file early so I can have another evidence for our AOS interview in February. My wife came in 2018, so we can file jointly. 

Thanks

They barely announced the final version of the 1040 before the shutdown.  They did not announce when they would start receiving returns for 2018 before the shutdown (usually mid to late January).  As of right now, you cannot file even if you wanted to and unless something miraculously happens, it won't be forthcoming for a while.

YMMV

Timeline

thanks, oh well...that is out the door then. I have other evidence anyways. 

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
1 minute ago, gregcrs2 said:

Plus W2's do not need to be issued by law until Jan. 31st.  

Jan 31 has nothing to do with when you can file as many places get them out well in advance of the deadline.  If a taxpayer has received all of the needed tax documents in order to file a complete and accurate return, they can file at any time assuming the IRS is accepting returns

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

Plus W2's do not need to be issued by law until Jan. 31st.  

My corporate employer....already has W-2's out electronically. They announced few days ago. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Jan 31 has nothing to do with when you can file as many places get them out well in advance of the deadline.  If a taxpayer has received all of the needed tax documents in order to file a complete and accurate return, they can file at any time assuming the IRS is accepting returns

And many places don't.  My entire working life, I have never gotten a W2 before that last few days of January and sometime even in early Feb..  The point I was trying to make is that you can't file taxes until your employer has provided the W2.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

And many places don't.  My entire working life, I have never gotten a W2 before that last few days of January and sometime even in early Feb..  The point I was trying to make is that you can't file taxes until your employer has provided the W2.

Not true....  In many situations your final check stub has all the required information in order to file your return and many people do just that

YMMV

26 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Hi:

Thanks

I was reading about that a few days ago and supposedly they will have that they will have volunteering employees for that, which i can definitely believe because IRS 🤑, so let’s see what happens. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Not true....  In many situations your final check stub has all the required information in order to file your return and many people do just that

Try doing a search on "Form W-2 Use final pay stub as substitute" as to why that is not recommended.  

Timeline
Just now, gregcrs2 said:

Try doing a search on "Form W-2 Use final pay stub as substitute" as to why that is not recommended.  

I have been a CPA for more than 30 years.  I know what people do despite any recommendations or lack there of.  A person with simple earnings without any 401k, non taxable medical premiums, etc...  see no differences between the final stub and the W2 and they do it all the time!

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Even with the IRS shutdown, you can fill out your return, paper version, and send it in by mail, keep a copy and use that.  The IRS mailbox might fill up, but you can send it in as many do in early January if they have a W2 or pay stubs for the previous year.  Not sure about electronic filing and the IRS shutdown, but I don't see why you couldn't file.  They're just not going to process any refunds until after they're back to work, and when that happens, there might be a delay because of the backlog of work.

Timeline

This is from the e-mail we received last week from NSTP.

HOW THE FEDERAL SHUT DOWN EFFECTS THE IRS:

In the event of a prolonged federal government shutdown, the IRS has released its contingency plan for Fiscal Year 2019. During a shutdown, agencies are allowed to perform activities that are supported by funding that does not expire at the end of the fiscal year, as well as other activities that are either expressly permitted under the law or are deemed necessary. Sometimes those activities cross over. For example, Social Security payments are funded outside of an annual appropriation, so those employees will continue to work, as well as those IRS employees who support them (even though IRS funding is not outside of annual appropriation).

Here's a partial list of functions that directly impact taxpayers and would typically be put on hold if the government shuts down:

• No tax refunds issued
  • No processing of non-disaster relief transcripts
  • No processing of forms 1040X, amended returns
  • No non-automated collections
  • No audit or examinations (some exceptions apply)
  • No whistleblower office activity

Here's a partial list of functions that directly impact taxpayers which will typically continue if the government shuts down:

• Processing of returns with payments
  • E-filing
  • Mailing tax forms
  • Appeals (statutory deadlines will not be changed)
  • Call centers (only during filing season)
  • Civil and criminal tax cases
  • Certain communications to taxpayers
  • Active criminal investigations
  • IRS.gov

To facilitate those activities, the IRS anticipates that 35,076 employees, or 43.5% of the total employee population, would be retained during a shutdown.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
On 1/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, Ksenia_O said:

This is from the e-mail we received last week from NSTP.

HOW THE FEDERAL SHUT DOWN EFFECTS THE IRS:

In the event of a prolonged federal government shutdown, the IRS has released its contingency plan for Fiscal Year 2019. During a shutdown, agencies are allowed to perform activities that are supported by funding that does not expire at the end of the fiscal year, as well as other activities that are either expressly permitted under the law or are deemed necessary. Sometimes those activities cross over. For example, Social Security payments are funded outside of an annual appropriation, so those employees will continue to work, as well as those IRS employees who support them (even though IRS funding is not outside of annual appropriation).

Here's a partial list of functions that directly impact taxpayers and would typically be put on hold if the government shuts down:

• No tax refunds issued
  • No processing of non-disaster relief transcripts
  • No processing of forms 1040X, amended returns
  • No non-automated collections
  • No audit or examinations (some exceptions apply)
  • No whistleblower office activity

Here's a partial list of functions that directly impact taxpayers which will typically continue if the government shuts down:

• Processing of returns with payments
  • E-filing
  • Mailing tax forms
  • Appeals (statutory deadlines will not be changed)
  • Call centers (only during filing season)
  • Civil and criminal tax cases
  • Certain communications to taxpayers
  • Active criminal investigations
  • IRS.gov

To facilitate those activities, the IRS anticipates that 35,076 employees, or 43.5% of the total employee population, would be retained during a shutdown.

"Breaking" news from yesterday - a refund will be issued by IRS... don't see how though.. Anyways -  the rest stays the same. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, Alabamak1 said:

Hi:

Thanks

IRS will begin processing 2018 returns on January 28, 2019.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28

c9 AOS Concurrently filed I-130 & I-130A, I-485, I-131, I-765

2019-02-21 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

2019-03-09 Notice received via USPS

2019-03-15 Biometrics Appointment Notice received

2019-03-26 Attended Biometrics Appointment

2019-04-01 Case is ready to to be scheduled for an interview

2019-04-22 Interview Notice received via USPS

2019-05-20 Interview: Approved after 82 days.

2019-05-21 Card in production

2019-05-22 Card was mailed to you (no tracking)

2019-05-29 Green Card in hand.

I-751 Removal of Conditions

2021-03-23 Package Sent via FedEx

2021-04-01 Package Received Texas Service Center

2021-04-21 I-797C Notice Date

2021-04-26 Notice Received via USPS

2021-05-04 Biometrics were reused

2021-11-16 New card is being produced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.