humptydumpty12345

Time to complete visa once Embassy contacts fiance

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
13 minutes ago, humptydumpty12345 said:

My fiancee abroad told me she was just contacted by the local embassy to get the medical check, etc. 

How long do we have to do thisbefore the visa application "expires"? 

once the visa is placed in the passport the expiration date of the visa is 6 months from the date of the medical. so if she gets the medical done now the visa will expire on 7/3/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
  • Your NOA2 expires 4 months after it's approved (it can be renewed twice); you have to make an interview appointment before it expires
  • When your fiancée gets her visa, it will normally have an expiration date of six months from the medical exam; she'll have to come to the US before then
  • When your fiancée comes to the US, she has 90 days to marry you before the entry granted by the visa expires, and you should apply to adjust status as soon as possible after marrying
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, humptydumpty12345 said:

how long to do the actual medical stuff, before the stamp is approved?

Where? or do you want us to guess 

YMMV

5 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:
  • Your NOA2 expires 4 months after it's approved (it can be renewed twice); you have to make an interview appointment before it expires
  • When your fiancée gets her visa, it will normally have an expiration date of six months from the medical exam; she'll have to come to the US before then
  • When your fiancée comes to the US, she has 90 days to marry you before the entry granted by the visa expires, and you should apply to adjust status as soon as possible after marrying

Interesting, my fiance was contacted by the embassy on Sept 20 I think, we had a fight and have not made an appointment. I wondered how long we have to "make up", I figured it was too late but decided to ask. So she would have until January 20 to make an appointment, and then we get four more months? 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, humptydumpty12345 said:

Interesting, my fiance was contacted by the embassy on Sept 20 I think, we had a fight and have not made an appointment. I wondered how long we have to "make up", I figured it was too late but decided to ask. So she would have until January 20 to make an appointment, and then we get four more months? 

No.  The approval notice expires @ 4 mos. But the consul can extend up to one year.  Most consuls routinely do.   What does your ceac status indicate?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, humptydumpty12345 said:

You'd have until Jan 20 (probably; exact date is on your paper NOA2) to make an appointment. You can request that the embassy/consulate renew it and give you another four months (and can do it again), but it's up to the embassy/consulate to grant that extension; they may or may not do it. If it's their fault (because no interview slots are available), an extension may be granted automatically (this happens not infrequently in Moscow, for one example that is somewhat relevant to me).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

No.  The approval notice expires @ 4 mos. But the consul can extend up to one year.  Most consuls routinely do.   What does your ceac status indicate?

The "receipt number" i have on the I-797 doesn't work in the CEAC search.

The I-797 notice of action now says Approval notice, valid 8 29 2018 to 12 28 2018. Forgot I had this. So too late? 

Timeline
Just now, humptydumpty12345 said:

The "receipt number" i have on the I-797 doesn't work in the CEAC search.

The I-797 notice of action now says Approval notice, valid 8 29 2018 to 12 28 2018. Forgot I had this. So too late? 

And it won't.   You need the embassy case number as assigned by nvc.  You track on the immigrant ceac tracker 

YMMV

READY "Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at:"

How can I request an extension, if it is possible? Do I call the embassy? The fiancee is still angry with me so this is a long shot anyway, but I have to try

Timeline
7 minutes ago, humptydumpty12345 said:

READY "Your case is ready for your interview when scheduled at the U.S. Consular section. If you have already scheduled an appointment for an interview, please prepare your documents as directed in your appointment letter and appear at the consulate on the appointed date and time. Otherwise, please wait until you have been notified of your interview appointment. Additional information about how Immigrant Visa interview appointments are scheduled can be found at:"

How can I request an extension, if it is possible? Do I call the embassy? The fiancee is still angry with me so this is a long shot anyway, but I have to try

Email the IV unit at the embassy 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

The second notice of action or NOA2 that the US citizen gets in the mail once USCIS approves the petition mentions an expiry date. Such date is roughly 4 months after the date of approval that appears on that NOA. Usually, you should go through the embassy interview before that date comes. But it seems embassies have a lot of leeway in terms of how to handle these policies. In my case (I’m the foreign fiancé), the US embassy in Colombia sent me an email with the NVC case number and all the PDF files that make the packets (I never received anything in physical form through the mail in my home country), and the email specifically mentioned I had one year to schedule the interview. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly, so I sent an email to the embassy asking whether I had to request an extension every four months, and they replied saying no action was required from our part; we simply just had a year to schedule the interview.

As the other commenters mentioned, once the medical examination is performed, the approved K-1 visa will have a roughly 6-month validity period for the foreign fiancé to enter the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.