Olichka

K-1 Affidavit of support co sponsor - allowed in Kiev ?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I was reading through the "Russia, Ukraine and Belarus" forum, and someone said that Kiev doesn't accept co-sponsors for the K-1...is that true ? This was from a couple years ago, so I don't know if that's still true. I can't seem to find whether the co-sponsor is allowed on official website either. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Olichka said:

Hey everyone,

I was reading through the "Russia, Ukraine and Belarus" forum, and someone said that Kiev doesn't accept co-sponsors for the K-1...is that true ? This was from a couple years ago, so I don't know if that's still true. I can't seem to find whether the co-sponsor is allowed on official website either. 

And you won't find it on the website.   Unfortunately this is one of those situations where those who have gone before you would have to say

YMMV

Timeline

the embassy all it wants, is an affidaivit of support I-134. Nothing said who provided it. In our case, i did, but nobody asked. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
1 minute ago, jdaveh said:

i do not think specific embassies can decide that. Co sponsor is a USCIS thing, not a particular country thing

So wrong.  Uscis does not decide visa policy.   Visa policy is up to the department of state and the department of state gives the consulate some autonomy to decide for themselves 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, Alabamak1 said:

the embassy all it wants, is an affidaivit of support I-134. Nothing said who provided it. In our case, i did, but nobody asked. 

They didn’t ask/look at your I-134 ?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Olichka said:

They didn’t ask/look at your I-134 ?

they asked to see the financial support evidence yes, they didn't ask if it was me (the petitioner) who signed for it. Well, that was obvious, since I was there and my name was on the form I-134, W-2's, bank statements, employers letter and other paperwork handed to them. BTW, I was at the interview 

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

they asked to see the financial support evidence yes, they didn't ask if it was me (the petitioner) who signed for it. Well, that was obvious, since I was there and my name was on the form I-134, W-2's, bank statements, employers letter and other paperwork handed to them. BTW, I was at the interview 

I’m so worried because I read that co-sponsor isn’t allowed. I’ll prob email the embassy to calm myself down.

I’m thinking of going to the interview with my fiancé as well. Security just let you in? I’m guessing all you needed is your passport ? 

Timeline
Just now, Olichka said:

I’m so worried because I read that co-sponsor isn’t allowed. I’ll prob email the embassy to calm myself down.

I’m thinking of going to the interview with my fiancé as well. Security just let you in? I’m guessing all you needed is your passport ? 

yeah, USC (petitioners) are welcome to the interview and IMO highly recommended. Gives you no chance for the CO to doubt the relationship.  

Don't read to much into it. I, personally don't know of anyone that did use a co-sponsor. I know from VJ and outside (friends of my wife) that did go through Kiev and will soon be having an interview also. As long as you have all your financial stuff setup....a co-sponsor or not, you should be good. 

Remember that the petitioner needs to file a I-134 also (petitioner and co-sponsor)

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

yeah, USC (petitioners) are welcome to the interview and IMO highly recommended. Gives you no chance for the CO to doubt the relationship.  

Don't read to much into it. I, personally don't know of anyone that did use a co-sponsor. I know from VJ and outside (friends of my wife) that did go through Kiev and will soon be having an interview also. As long as you have all your financial stuff setup....a co-sponsor or not, you should be good. 

Remember that the petitioner needs to file a I-134 also (petitioner and co-sponsor)

So I should have two I-134 forms right ?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Olichka said:

So I should have two I-134 forms right ?

yes, as long as you are using a co-sponsor. Don't take my word on it, since i didn't need a cosponsor, but that is the normal path. I will try to find it where it is so stated.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Alabamak1 said:

yes, as long as you are using a co-sponsor. Don't take my word on it, since i didn't need a cosponsor, but that is the normal path. I will try to find it where it is so stated.

The petitionner is always a sponsor regardless 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Olichka said:

Hey everyone,

There is this relatively recent review:

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=23653

If it is to be believed for K-1 visas, they just want form I-134, and nothing else (though web site says differently) It seems safest route is to have 2 I-134, one from you, the other from your co-sponsor, but it just might not be needed. I just hope Trump wall shutdown won't slow down the process. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Shiran said:

There is this relatively recent review:

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=23653

If it is to be believed for K-1 visas, they just want form I-134, and nothing else (though web site says differently) It seems safest route is to have 2 I-134, one from you, the other from your co-sponsor, but it just might not be needed. I just hope Trump wall shutdown won't slow down the process. 

Considering the author of that review was active earlier in this thread and said he  self sponsored and did not use a cosponsor not much help.  

Just by the term cosponsor indicates two sponsors.   The petitionner is always the primary and supplemented by a second or cosponsor if allowed by the consular 

YMMV

Timeline

last post before zzzzzz:

https://asl-lawfirm.com/blog/income-requirements-for-fiance-and-marriage-visa-processing

Financial Cosponsorship

Nearly all consulates will allow a financial cosponsor for either fiance or spousal visa processing. A notable exception is the U.S. consulate in Manila who will not currently allow a financial cosponsor for fiance visa processing. In Manila, you must qualify on your own or your fiance will be denied the fiance visa. A financial cosponsor is allowed for all marriage visa processing by rule as well as for stateside adjustment of status to become a permanent resident green card holder.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.