67 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Damara said:

There are inconsistencies-

How does the statements he made mesh together-

My parents traveled to EIGHT different countries in 2018

My parents take care of Grandma and go to her house 2x a week

and my parents have steady jobs and property they maintain....

So either they did the express tour and only stayed in each country for 24-48hrs (to get home for work and Grandma) or his parents arent very tied down. 8 countries in 12 months? How much time did they actually spend in Ukraine? Perhaps instead of listing so so many places like that he (they) can phrase it (if its true) next time as "I get 4 weeks vacation/ june and july off from teaching job and traveled to many places during it- then went back to work' rather then trying to make a case that they are tied to home yet travel extensively. Not sure suggesting they travel even more would help! Then they'd be saying in 2018 we went to 8 countries and in 2019 we went to 20 (!) but we really do have strong ties home even though we are never there and have tons of money and can afford to be where ever we want. Strangely having lots of money can work against you as well. If one can afford to be where ever they want then its even more important to show you want to be 'home' overseas and not with your only child (and future grandkids) in the US.

I'd say that if the parents have a reasonable income then that much travel is easily believable.

With cheap budget airlines I have friends that travel all over Europe all the time. Just jump on a plane Friday night and back Sunday night for work on Monday. Weekends away Paris one week then a month later head over to Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Nice, Barcelona, etc etc...

I live near Glasgow, it's cheaper for me to fly to the south of France and spend the weekend at my brothers place than it is for me to go to London for the weekend.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, MacUK said:

I'd say that if the parents have a reasonable income then that much travel is easily believable.

With cheap budget airlines I have friends that travel all over Europe all the time. Just jump on a plane Friday night and back Sunday night for work on Monday. Weekends away Paris one week then a month later head over to Berlin, Vienna, Rome, Nice, Barcelona, etc etc...

I live near Glasgow, it's cheaper for me to fly to the south of France and spend the weekend at my brothers place than it is for me to go to London for the weekend.

So true!!

It takes about 2-3 hours flight to reach any European  country from Ukraine. And it's really very common and popular to have so called " a weekend trip" to another country. 

Besides, since we have now visa free regime with EU, it has become very popular just to drive across the Europe.

For example, it takes about 2,5 days to make it to Thessaloniki, Greece, from Ukraine -  with a night rest and a few stops to see places on your way. And you have to drive through  3 countries - Romania, Bulgaria and actual Greece. So, here we are -  3 countries have been visited for 2.5 days.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

So true!!

It takes about 2-3 hours flight to reach any European  country from Ukraine. And it's really very common and popular to have so called " a weekend trip" to another country. 

Besides, since we have now visa free regime with EU, it has become very popular just to drive across the Europe.

For example, it takes about 2,5 days to make it to Thessaloniki, Greece, from Ukraine -  with a night rest and a few stops to see places on your way. And you have to drive through  3 countries - Romania, Bulgaria and actual Greece. So, here we are -  3 countries have been visited for 2.5 days.

Also, depends on your job, a lot of training, conferences and seminars are provided out of Ukraine . It's often done for doctors, accountants... I had seminars, organised for accountants, in Croatia,  Monte Negro, UAE. You are considered to be at work during the training, but you are actually in a different country.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 hours ago, Damara said:

There are inconsistencies-

How does the statements he made mesh together-

My parents traveled to EIGHT different countries in 2018

My parents take care of Grandma and go to her house 2x a week

and my parents have steady jobs and property they maintain....

So either they did the express tour and only stayed in each country for 24-48hrs (to get home for work and Grandma) or his parents arent very tied down. 8 countries in 12 months? How much time did they actually spend in Ukraine? Perhaps instead of listing so so many places like that he (they) can phrase it (if its true) next time as "I get 4 weeks vacation/ june and july off from teaching job and traveled to many places during it- then went back to work' rather then trying to make a case that they are tied to home yet travel extensively. Not sure suggesting they travel even more would help! Then they'd be saying in 2018 we went to 8 countries and in 2019 we went to 20 (!) but we really do have strong ties home even though we are never there and have tons of money and can afford to be where ever we want. Strangely having lots of money can work against you as well. If one can afford to be where ever they want then its even more important to show you want to be 'home' overseas and not with your only child (and future grandkids) in the US.

Our Grandma was traveling with us, all together. And also I know people who got b1/b2 with the intention to give a birth in the US, they went to the Embassy with a huge belly...and they got visas, they gave birth and they stayed in the US. So I really doubt the professionalism of officers now...

43 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

Our Grandma was traveling with us, all together. And also I know people who got b1/b2 with the intention to give a birth in the US, they went to the Embassy with a huge belly...and they got visas, they gave birth and they stayed in the US. So I really doubt the professionalism of officers now...

It’s not illegal to travel to the US to give birth, as long as it’s paid for. There is no legal means to staying in the US just because you had a child there so I don’t understand the “stayed in the US” part, do they do so illegally until the child is 21 and can petition them?!

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
32 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s not illegal to travel to the US to give birth, as long as it’s paid for. There is no legal means to staying in the US just because you had a child there so I don’t understand the “stayed in the US” part, do they do so illegally until the child is 21 and can petition them?!

I assume a lot of this is rhetoric, how would the OP know?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Okay, maybe it is not illegal to intent to give a birth on b1/b2, but I personally know some people who were coming to the US with intentions to stay illegally on J1, B1/B2....so how then these people get visas and others who don't want to stay illegally don't get visas. That just proves that officers are not trained to read people (to me personally)..so you only need to be a "fit" for system requirements. But this is not even the biggest problem I see....the more serious problem is people who stay illegally and work illegally here for years...they anyway somehow get documents, green cards, fake marriages for money, etc. What I don't understand is why the law allows to get GC or became legal after you break the law ?? This does not make sense to me. It is like my home country Ukraine... we had a president who was in jail before 2 times when he was young...but it is prohibited to be even a candidate in president if you were in jail, so the government just cleared it from his history (they a right to do so). But all people knew what's going on. So what I am trying to say is people who made a mistake (broke the law) cannot be provided with the same possibilities as people who followed all rules and laws. This is not fair then.

17 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

I personally know some people who were coming to the US with intentions to stay illegally on J1, B1/B2....so how then these people get visas and others who don't want to stay illegally don't get visas.

This is exactly the reason so many legitimate tourists get denied a visa...because lots of people try this and enough succeeded.

18 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

What I don't understand is why the law allows to get GC or became legal after you break the law ??

Not saying I agree with it, but because that's the law. Certain civil infractions are not a bar, such as unlawful employment and overstay when married to a USC citizen or are the unmarried child of a USC.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I assume the OP is referring to Schengen and not the EU.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Agree with geowrian, thank those people for making it harder for everyone else.

i do also agree though that when the law allows forgiving overstay, illegal work etc with no consequence if you adjust as spouse or parent of a citizen, it does act as an incentive for people to do this. Maybe introducing (reintroducing?) consequences for this should be part of the fabled immigration reform package to come one day.

Timeline
On 12/20/2018 at 6:15 PM, Boiler said:

You had proof

You had proof that you would not be staying in the US but you then immigrated?

Yes, i had proof that i will be back for sure, and on that time i didnt know that me and my husband gonna be together at all, as we just met on that period of time. And i didnt plan to move at all. But as we both wanted to be together one of us had to move, and as my husband been already living in poland for 5 years, he didnt wanna go back there and also have a good position here, so the only one who been able to move its me. Even now, if i wouldnt be married or if my husband would like to move, i would move back to Europe. 

K-1 journey

09/30/2017 - petition mailed

10/03/2017 - case received

10/03/2017 - NOA1

04/04/2018 - NOA2

04/25/2018 - NVC received & case # assigned 

04/27/2018 - NVC left

04/27/2018 - embassy received, "ready"

05/08/2018 - medical - sputum test

07/11/2018 - sputum test results

07/18/2018 - embassy recieved results

06/07/2018 - interview - approved

07/20/2018 - VOH

08/05/2018 - POE Miami

08/14/2018 - wedding

AOS journey

09/15/2018 - petition mailed (I-485 + I-765 + I-131)

09/17/2018 - cases received (case status date)

09/27/2018 - NOA1 (hard copy)

10/11/2018 -  biometrics appointment

12/17/2018 - i765 and i131 approved (expedited)

12/21/2018 - combo card received

12/22/2018 - NOA2 for i765 and i131 received

Timeline
On 12/20/2018 at 6:37 PM, Ksenia_O said:

I agree - it's a lottery.

About your mom. The  United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA share the data. So, if your mom is a legal resident of the UK, then she should be fine. 

Don't know if it's true, but when I got my UK visa , I was told that it would be a good  time to apply for USA visa too - like, an open UK visa increases your  chances to get a visa for one of those 5 countries. 

As I've said, not sure it really works - I didn't apply,  since US wasn't in my travel list, well, that time, until I met my husband 😉 , so didn't  "check" if the statement was correct,  but that's what  "people say"...

Well, my sister lives in England, and my parents have the UK visa and also had it  at the time they applied for B1/B2. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.. They got approved. So who knows... 

Dont know about that, cause when i was 16 ive moved with my parents to UK, as a kid under 21 and also under 18 :) i didnt have any choice to stay in ukraine, cause ive been depended on my parents. So i immigrated there, so for CO it was as intention to immigrate i guess, even if it was loooooong time ago, because CO even asked me about me in UK. So not UK visa or not even 21 country visited including 3 countries living for more than 6 month (ALL LEGALLY) and after all of them been coming back to my home country without even a second overstaying or something like that, didnt prove CO that i dont do illigal things. But i dont care :) just thinking how crazy they are when lots of people who really have intentions to move illigally getting approved by the same COs and people who just wants to travel the opposite. 

as we say in ukraine "GOD is a judge for them" 

peace and love to everyone!

K-1 journey

09/30/2017 - petition mailed

10/03/2017 - case received

10/03/2017 - NOA1

04/04/2018 - NOA2

04/25/2018 - NVC received & case # assigned 

04/27/2018 - NVC left

04/27/2018 - embassy received, "ready"

05/08/2018 - medical - sputum test

07/11/2018 - sputum test results

07/18/2018 - embassy recieved results

06/07/2018 - interview - approved

07/20/2018 - VOH

08/05/2018 - POE Miami

08/14/2018 - wedding

AOS journey

09/15/2018 - petition mailed (I-485 + I-765 + I-131)

09/17/2018 - cases received (case status date)

09/27/2018 - NOA1 (hard copy)

10/11/2018 -  biometrics appointment

12/17/2018 - i765 and i131 approved (expedited)

12/21/2018 - combo card received

12/22/2018 - NOA2 for i765 and i131 received

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 8:04 PM, SusieQQQ said:

The UK visa application form is far more stringent than the US one, so, I tend to think that if one is able to get a UK visa then one’s circumstances are probably such that one could get a US one (which is different than saying you get one because you already have the other). Of course, you can have a situation where you have a UK visa but are an overstay risk for the US (such as having a citizen adult child or fiancé), in which case your US visa might well be denied even with a UK visa in hand.

That’s not correct. The application form is more stringent however the actual refusal rate for UK visitor visas is only 9.67% which is lower than the refusal rate for USA B visas which is at least 25%.

https://ukvisa.blog/2018/11/23/uk-visa-success-rate/

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf

Citizen of the World!

Timeline
3 hours ago, PaulTheSheik said:

This why I laugh when many westerners parrot the line honesty is the best policy when it comes to applying for visas. It’s simply not true. When applying for a visa, the best policy is tell them what they want to hear so far as you won’t get caught. Americans get indignant and call people liars for fudging visa applications but that’s the name of the game if you’re not coming from an affluent western country. It’s easy to act self righteous when you’re born in a country where you essentially get to visit most countries without having to apply for a visa. Talk is cheap.

When I had to apply for visas before I naturalized, I had no hesitation being less than truthful in visa applications. Just because you’re from a poorer country you’re starting the interview being viewed negatively and stereotyped that you intend to overstay and abscond in the USA.

They want to hear the truth, do people lie and get away with it sure. You are evidence of that

Do people lie and suffer the consequences, absolutely, plenty of stories on here about that.

Are people who tell the truth negatively stereotyped because so many others lie, also true, perhaps you could start by apologising to those who have suffered because of this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.