Jump to content
lauragp91

Aos K1 RFE should I get a lawyer?

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So I got an RFE on both my i-131 and i-765. Both letters say the exact same thing. I’m attaching a picture of the RFE. So my question is, since I have already provided them with the exact information that they’re asking for, shoul I just send the same documents again, or should I get a lawyer? I’m afraid if ny documents were overlooked the first time they will be again. Of course my name is not the same because I changed it when I married my fiancé but that’s what the marriage certificate os for! I’m at a loss here. 

 

Also here’s what I sent on both cases with my original forms: 

 

Form I-131 signed by applicant
Two (2) passport style photos of applicant
Copy of applicant’s passport (biographic, stamps and visas)
Copy of applicants K1 Visa
Copy of Form I-94 Record of Arrival
Copy of Form I-797 Approval Notice for I-129F Application
Certified Marriage Certificate

65B3A127-BEEB-4892-AF42-71FEE11E878D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you send multiple copies of the marriage certificate? I believe one is needed for 485 and one is needed for EAD/AP card. If you only sent one then its with the 485 and there is no marriage certificate with the 131/765. (Did you also apply for 765 EAD?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Damara said:

Did you send multiple copies of the marriage certificate? I believe one is needed for 485 and one is needed for EAD/AP card. If you only sent one then its with the 485 and there is no marriage certificate with the 131/765. (Did you also apply for 765 EAD?) 

I did. I sent separate certified copies with each package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then it probably got misplaced. Not sure how an attny would help with a response. Sure they will take your $$ and file a response but you can do that yourself. Make sure its the certificate and not the marriage license and send it back with all the other things they listed and a brief letter stating you are using your married name on your AOS/765/131.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lauragp91 said:

So I got an RFE on both my i-131 and i-765. Both letters say the exact same thing. I’m attaching a picture of the RFE. So my question is, since I have already provided them with the exact information that they’re asking for, shoul I just send the same documents again, or should I get a lawyer? I’m afraid if ny documents were overlooked the first time they will be again. Of course my name is not the same because I changed it when I married my fiancé but that’s what the marriage certificate os for! I’m at a loss here. 

 

Also here’s what I sent on both cases with my original forms: 

 

Form I-131 signed by applicant
Two (2) passport style photos of applicant
Copy of applicant’s passport (biographic, stamps and visas)
Copy of applicants K1 Visa
Copy of Form I-94 Record of Arrival
Copy of Form I-797 Approval Notice for I-129F Application
Certified Marriage Certificate

65B3A127-BEEB-4892-AF42-71FEE11E878D.jpeg

Sorry just to be clear....

You sent 3 certified MC's?

3 BC's or passport bio pages?

3 K1 Visa copies?

3 I94s?

3 I797 Approval Notices?

And 6- 2x2 passport photos?

 

You only changed your name as follows:

Maiden name: Jane Mary Smith (states that on passport, BC, K1 Visa, I94 etc)

Married name on MC: Jane Mary Smith with the it implied that you will be taking your husband's name of Jones and his name is listed on your MC as Jones.

And the I485, I765 and i131 states Jane Mary Jones?

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damara said:

Then it probably got misplaced. Not sure how an attny would help with a response. Sure they will take your $$ and file a response but you can do that yourself. Make sure its the certificate and not the marriage license and send it back with all the other things they listed and a brief letter stating you are using your married name on your AOS/765/131.

 

 

Thank you! I will do it myself. The stress of this processes makes us not think clealry sometimes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Sorry just to be clear....

You sent 3 certified MC's?

3 BC's or passport bio pages?

3 K1 Visa copies?

3 I94s?

3 I797 Approval Notices?

And 6- 2x2 passport photos?

 

You only changed your name as follows:

Maiden name: Jane Mary Smith (states that on passport, BC, K1 Visa, I94 etc)

Married name on MC: Jane Mary Smith with the it implied that you will be taking your husband's name of Jones and his name is listed on your MC as Jones.

And the I485, I765 and i131 states Jane Mary Jones?

Correct. I sent a separate copy of each document listed above with each form, so 3 copies of everything. 

 

And yes my maiden name was Laura G P...... which is listed my maiden name on my marriage certificate. My husband’s name is Michael V..... and my married name on MC is Laura G V.....

Edited by lauragp91
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lauragp91 said:

Correct. I sent a separate copy of each document listed above with each form, so 3 copies of everything. 

 

And yes my maiden name was Laura G P...... which is listed my maiden name on my marriage certificate. My husband’s name is Michael V..... and my married name on MC is Laura G V.....

Okay then I agree with the others and would guess they lost your supporting documents.

Send copies of everything they asked for in the RFE and write a letter explaining your right to take your husband's name based on your MC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Okay then I agree with the others and would guess they lost your supporting documents.

Send copies of everything they asked for in the RFE and write a letter explaining your right to take your husband's name based on your MC. 

Thank you! I will do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you send your "national ID" that clearly contains biographic information?  You did not include that on the list of documents you sent, but it was stated in the RFE as required.  Make sure you send it in response to the RFE with everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Did you send your "national ID" that clearly contains biographic information?  You did not include that on the list of documents you sent, but it was stated in the RFE as required.  Make sure you send it in response to the RFE with everything else.

@lauragp91 this is a good idea if you can swing it in time. Get a driver's license with your new name; if it takes too long (my state sends every single non-citizen drivers license to the capital DMV for approval, takes weeks), maybe include something else in your new name and an explanation of what happened. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-07-24: TN received at CBP

2015-11-23: TN received at CBP - employer change

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-11: Card is being produced 

2018-12-13: Card was mailed 

2018-12-18: Card received in the mail

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eckoin said:

@lauragp91 this is a good idea if you can swing it in time. Get a driver's license with your new name; if it takes too long (my state sends every single non-citizen drivers license to the capital DMV for approval, takes weeks), maybe include something else in your new name and an explanation of what happened. 

I think the RFE is asking for the home country's national ID for the beneficiary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, carmel34 said:

I think the RFE is asking for the home country's national ID for the beneficiary.

Whoops, you're right, I was more referring to a US ID that also has the legal name 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-07-24: TN received at CBP

2015-11-23: TN received at CBP - employer change

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-11: Card is being produced 

2018-12-13: Card was mailed 

2018-12-18: Card received in the mail

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×