lauragp91

Aos K1 RFE should I get a lawyer?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So I got an RFE on both my i-131 and i-765. Both letters say the exact same thing. I’m attaching a picture of the RFE. So my question is, since I have already provided them with the exact information that they’re asking for, shoul I just send the same documents again, or should I get a lawyer? I’m afraid if ny documents were overlooked the first time they will be again. Of course my name is not the same because I changed it when I married my fiancé but that’s what the marriage certificate os for! I’m at a loss here. 

Also here’s what I sent on both cases with my original forms: 

Form I-131 signed by applicant
Two (2) passport style photos of applicant
Copy of applicant’s passport (biographic, stamps and visas)
Copy of applicants K1 Visa
Copy of Form I-94 Record of Arrival
Copy of Form I-797 Approval Notice for I-129F Application
Certified Marriage Certificate

65B3A127-BEEB-4892-AF42-71FEE11E878D.jpeg

Timeline

I used my married name on all 3 forms. My case status for i-485 is “ready to be scheduled for interview” since September. 

3 minutes ago, TexasGuy0101 said:

What name did you use for the form I-485?

Timeline
Just now, Damara said:

Did you send multiple copies of the marriage certificate? I believe one is needed for 485 and one is needed for EAD/AP card. If you only sent one then its with the 485 and there is no marriage certificate with the 131/765. (Did you also apply for 765 EAD?) 

I did. I sent separate certified copies with each package. 

Filed: Timeline

Then it probably got misplaced. Not sure how an attny would help with a response. Sure they will take your $$ and file a response but you can do that yourself. Make sure its the certificate and not the marriage license and send it back with all the other things they listed and a brief letter stating you are using your married name on your AOS/765/131.

18 minutes ago, lauragp91 said:

So I got an RFE on both my i-131 and i-765. Both letters say the exact same thing. I’m attaching a picture of the RFE. So my question is, since I have already provided them with the exact information that they’re asking for, shoul I just send the same documents again, or should I get a lawyer? I’m afraid if ny documents were overlooked the first time they will be again. Of course my name is not the same because I changed it when I married my fiancé but that’s what the marriage certificate os for! I’m at a loss here. 

Also here’s what I sent on both cases with my original forms: 

Form I-131 signed by applicant
Two (2) passport style photos of applicant
Copy of applicant’s passport (biographic, stamps and visas)
Copy of applicants K1 Visa
Copy of Form I-94 Record of Arrival
Copy of Form I-797 Approval Notice for I-129F Application
Certified Marriage Certificate

65B3A127-BEEB-4892-AF42-71FEE11E878D.jpeg

Sorry just to be clear....

You sent 3 certified MC's?

3 BC's or passport bio pages?

3 K1 Visa copies?

3 I94s?

3 I797 Approval Notices?

And 6- 2x2 passport photos?

You only changed your name as follows:

Maiden name: Jane Mary Smith (states that on passport, BC, K1 Visa, I94 etc)

Married name on MC: Jane Mary Smith with the it implied that you will be taking your husband's name of Jones and his name is listed on your MC as Jones.

And the I485, I765 and i131 states Jane Mary Jones?

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
1 minute ago, Damara said:

Then it probably got misplaced. Not sure how an attny would help with a response. Sure they will take your $$ and file a response but you can do that yourself. Make sure its the certificate and not the marriage license and send it back with all the other things they listed and a brief letter stating you are using your married name on your AOS/765/131.

Thank you! I will do it myself. The stress of this processes makes us not think clealry sometimes! 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Sorry just to be clear....

You sent 3 certified MC's?

3 BC's or passport bio pages?

3 K1 Visa copies?

3 I94s?

3 I797 Approval Notices?

And 6- 2x2 passport photos?

You only changed your name as follows:

Maiden name: Jane Mary Smith (states that on passport, BC, K1 Visa, I94 etc)

Married name on MC: Jane Mary Smith with the it implied that you will be taking your husband's name of Jones and his name is listed on your MC as Jones.

And the I485, I765 and i131 states Jane Mary Jones?

Correct. I sent a separate copy of each document listed above with each form, so 3 copies of everything. 

And yes my maiden name was Laura G P...... which is listed my maiden name on my marriage certificate. My husband’s name is Michael V..... and my married name on MC is Laura G V.....

Edited by lauragp91
Typos

4 minutes ago, lauragp91 said:

Correct. I sent a separate copy of each document listed above with each form, so 3 copies of everything. 

And yes my maiden name was Laura G P...... which is listed my maiden name on my marriage certificate. My husband’s name is Michael V..... and my married name on MC is Laura G V.....

Okay then I agree with the others and would guess they lost your supporting documents.

Send copies of everything they asked for in the RFE and write a letter explaining your right to take your husband's name based on your MC. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Okay then I agree with the others and would guess they lost your supporting documents.

Send copies of everything they asked for in the RFE and write a letter explaining your right to take your husband's name based on your MC. 

Thank you! I will do this. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Did you send your "national ID" that clearly contains biographic information?  You did not include that on the list of documents you sent, but it was stated in the RFE as required.  Make sure you send it in response to the RFE with everything else.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
32 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Did you send your "national ID" that clearly contains biographic information?  You did not include that on the list of documents you sent, but it was stated in the RFE as required.  Make sure you send it in response to the RFE with everything else.

@lauragp91 this is a good idea if you can swing it in time. Get a driver's license with your new name; if it takes too long (my state sends every single non-citizen drivers license to the capital DMV for approval, takes weeks), maybe include something else in your new name and an explanation of what happened. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, eckoin said:

@lauragp91 this is a good idea if you can swing it in time. Get a driver's license with your new name; if it takes too long (my state sends every single non-citizen drivers license to the capital DMV for approval, takes weeks), maybe include something else in your new name and an explanation of what happened. 

I think the RFE is asking for the home country's national ID for the beneficiary.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, carmel34 said:

I think the RFE is asking for the home country's national ID for the beneficiary.

Whoops, you're right, I was more referring to a US ID that also has the legal name 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.