LightBendr

O-1 VISA Help

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I signed up with a law firm to do my O-1 visa application and had my first meeting with one of their main lawyers who was very helpful and made me confident about the application. After I signed the contract she told me she had to transfer my case to another partner, who I also met with and seemed very good. Then after that this partner transferred me to a third lawyer who I never met and has been making me do most of the work myself. I had to rewrite all of the reference letters he wrote because they were completely filled with typos and I found two instances of straight up plagiarism from different websites. He's also been very vague and unsure on answering my questions. I supposedly have a very strong case and ended up getting an RFE with multiple pages of requests while my friends who had much weaker resumes ended up getting the visa without the RFE. I haven't submitted my additional evidence yet but I'm not comfortable with this situation. I want to contact the very first lawyer but at the same time I don't want to throw the currently lawyer under the bus. He's a very nice person but clearly not good at his job. Has anyone gone through something similar? My RFE is so long and scary that I don't want to risk not sending something very strong. Would anyone please give me advice on how to proceed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fire the lawyers and do it all yourself.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

O1, most I have come across have an Employer involved sounds like you are doing your own thing. Ditch the Lawyer and find a competent one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ok, look. You can’t jeopardize your case and throw your money away because the lawyer who is screwing up your case is a “nice guy”. Contact the firm, tell them you’ve spent a lot of money, and you need them to assign you someone competent in this area to take your case forward. Otherwise you’re just throwing good money after bad.

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"nice guys often finish last"

time to put on the big boy pants and take this on hardcore as you have one chance to get this fixed or all your time and expense goes out the window .... Personally i would suggest changing firms with competent O visa lawyers who can deal with this RFE.... as an O visa holder that had to deal with RFE's i know they're no joke

Im not sure where you are located but I can recommend my NY firm who got me my O visa (msg me privately for this)

Any other questions feel free to shoot them my way 

@SusieQQQ @ChiUK Thank you so much! I'm reaching out to the main partners at the firm today and hopefully I'll get the extra help I need. As much as I wish I could just ditch them and hire a different lawyer I already spent too much money on this application and I'm not in a position of spending any more. I really hope this works out. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume there isnt one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
12 hours ago, LightBendr said:

There isn't one. I'm applying with an agent because I want to be able to work for multiple companies, so all the costs have to be covered by me. 

That was my scenario as well (agent)...  well bear in mind the time you have in order to get a response in.... and as someone said above don't throw good money on bad lawyers

If it were you i would swallow that bitter pill and get this mess they created cleaned up by a firm that knows what they are doing

good luck.

Edited by ChiUK

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

14 hours ago, LightBendr said:

SOLVED --- thank you everyone for their input!

Glad to hear however It would be great that you update your thread on how things got solved so future seekers of answers can get some clarity. just like you did.

#Pay it forward

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/10/2018 at 10:33 AM, LightBendr said:

SOLVED --- thank you everyone for their input!

hi lightbndr, could you let us know how you solved this? thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.