Kerryt88

Travel to the US while waiting for K1 visa approval

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancé and I will be sending out our I-129 application by January 2019. I am wondering what the rules are regarding travel to the states while awaiting the response of said application. If I want to go visit him for a weekend or go to a music festival in a different city, would I be allowed to? I live in Canada.

thank you for any and all help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

paul comes at least once and sometimes twice a month and has through the whole process. never had a problem other than a few extra questions from time to time

Take strong ties back to Canada for CBP

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
Just now, Kerryt88 said:

Thank you! I’ve been worried about it and couldn’t find answers anywhere!

It's a pinned topic :) And yes, especially from canada travel is frequent. Dont ever lie to them, take strong ties back to your country. I make paul travel with a copy of the k1 packet and subsequent documents. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I lived in Hamilton, ON and my husband (then fiancé) lived in Buffalo, NY, so about and hour and a bit away.  

I was nervous after filing that I wouldn’t be able to visit (we’d spend about every other weekend together) but I never really had a problem.  In the 6 months between filing and moving, I only had a handful of times where they asked more questions than usual.

I *always* carried stuff with me, just in case.  A copy of the files K1 petition, a copy of my lease.  A bank statement showing deposits from work, a letter from my employer saying I was still actively employed and expected back after the weekend.  Not once did I ever have to show any of that.

They did pull me into secondary once and make me sit there for about 45 minutes while they said they called my fiancé to check my story, but then when I got to his house 10 minutes after being allowed over the bridge, he said he didn’t talk to anyone, nor was there a call made to him. I still find that weird to this day, but perhaps they just observed me for those 45 minutes.  I stayed calm and patient bc I had nothing to hide.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

I lived in Hamilton, ON and my husband (then fiancé) lived in Buffalo, NY, so about and hour and a bit away.  

I was nervous after filing that I wouldn’t be able to visit (we’d spend about every other weekend together) but I never really had a problem.  In the 6 months between filing and moving, I only had a handful of times where they asked more questions than usual.

I *always* carried stuff with me, just in case.  A copy of the files K1 petition, a copy of my lease.  A bank statement showing deposits from work, a letter from my employer saying I was still actively employed and expected back after the weekend.  Not once did I ever have to show any of that.

They did pull me into secondary once and make me sit there for about 45 minutes while they said they called my fiancé to check my story, but then when I got to his house 10 minutes after being allowed over the bridge, he said he didn’t talk to anyone, nor was there a call made to him. I still find that weird to this day, but perhaps they just observed me for those 45 minutes.  I stayed calm and patient bc I had nothing to hide.  

that last bit is bizarre ive never heard of that. probably just watching you. weirdos. ;) lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

ROC

Timeline

Also Canadian, also no problems crossing since submitting. I’ve been to the US twice since filing (three-ish weeks each time). The first I got a “that’s a long time; what are you doing?” question and as soon as I said visiting my fiancée got waved on through. This last time I didn’t really get any questions at all.

Like the above I travel with a full copy of our petition (google doc); I also have my boss sign an employment verification letter each time and I seal it in an envelope with both of our business cards. Have not been asked for it thus far but I figure it is a very easy thing to keep with me. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

I live in Windsor Ontario and my fiance lives in Michigan. I travel across every weekend and Tuesday. He visits me once a week. We've had 0 issues since applying 4 months ago. I also have a Nexus pass. Have only ever brought up the Visa once. Unless they ask you don't need to give more information than needed. We've been doing this for a year now. 

Edited by PurelyRavage
New info

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.