PapaDukes

Filing DS2029 CRBA in the US?

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to file a CRBA for my 14 year old Daughter who has only been in my life since January. She reached out via social media and we have been building our relationship. My name was not on her birth certificate so we had to get a DNA test and file a petition with the court to have my name added. Her mother married another US citizen and they immigrated a few years ago so my Daughter is naturalized citizen. 

We would like to file the CRBA, however I can't seem where to file in the continental US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

What is the benefit for her?  I am not criticizing......I am curious.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
48 minutes ago, PapaDukes said:

I am trying to file a CRBA for my 14 year old Daughter who has only been in my life since January. She reached out via social media and we have been building our relationship. My name was not on her birth certificate so we had to get a DNA test and file a petition with the court to have my name added. Her mother married another US citizen and they immigrated a few years ago so my Daughter is naturalized citizen. 

We would like to file the CRBA, however I can't seem where to file in the continental US?

So your daughter is in US or no? If she is a US citizen there's no need for a CRBA just take birth certificate and both parents to get passport.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

CRBA only can be done outside the US at a consulate or embassy. If she already has a US passport/is a USC, CRBA can't be done anymore anyway.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
2 hours ago, PapaDukes said:

I actually wasn't sure if there would be an advantage to making the change or not. 

35 minutes ago, PapaDukes said:

She is through the green card process, her Mother was not a citizen.

The only difference would be if you don't go the CRBA route is that she will not be eligible for the office of President (Section 1 of Article Two of the Constitution) or Vice-President (12th Amendment):

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

Without CRBA she would be categorized like Arnold Schwarzenegger; with CRBA she would be categorized like the late John McCain or Ted Cruz.

Currently, she could lose her citizenship in the hypothetical situation of her mother being denaturalized by the government: https://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/can-your-u-s-citizenship-be-revoked-.html But all citizens, including "natural born" citizens, can be have their citizenship revoked by the government (e.g. Tomoya Kawakita).

Like already said, CRBA can only be done abroad. If approved, it would mean that any and all US visas, A-File, LPR status, and/or USCIS Certificate of Citizenship were issued in error (in theory) because she would be a US citizen from birth. Department of State passport records would also have to be updated. The silver lining is that any time already spent in the US is not a negative since US citizens have the right to be in the US. This is assuming you are eligible to pass down citizenship:

Child born out of wedlock to a U.S. Citizen father

A child born outside of the United States and out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father, may acquire U.S. citizenship if the father was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth and, if the father was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, two of which were after the age of fourteen.

In addition, the U.S. citizen father must acknowledge paternity and agree in writing to provide financial support for the child until he/she reaches the age of 18 years old.

The second part of the quote above is part of the CRBA application (page 3 of DS-2029).

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 hours ago, PapaDukes said:

You can not file a CRBA (Consular Report Birth Abroad).  That ship has passed since she is already living in the US.

You and her mother will have to go through the local court where your daughter lives to have you declared as her legal father.  Right now, you are an unrelated person because there is no legal document proving that you are the father.  You will need a court order as the legal document to show that she is your daughter.  Once this is done, then you can seek to get her US citizenship.  

Your daughter is NOT a naturalized US citizen.  Children can not naturalize.  Her mother is not a US citizen, so there is NO WAY for her to derive US citizenship from anyone at this moment.  What makes you think that your daughter is a naturalized US citizen?

Edited by aaron2020

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 11:58 AM, aaron2020 said:

That ship has passed since she is already living in the US.

I'm not saying this applies to OP's daughter but I found this interesting part in the DOS Foreign Affairs Manual, https://fam.state.gov/fam/07fam/07fam1440.html:

Family in the United States, child has never been documented as A U.S. citizen:

1. Cases occasionally arise in which a family that had lived abroad for a period of time returns to the United States for residence. A child was born during the period of residence abroad, but the parents neglected to register the birth at the consular post. The question then arises as to whether the parents can register the birth at the post even though the child is physically present in the United States;
  2. In these cases the parents usually would have obtained a passport for the child, but in rare cases this category could also include persons who came to the United States with a child on a nonimmigrant visa. These cases usually involve medical emergencies in which the parents do not have time or lack full documentation to complete the process;
  3. Parents may execute an application for a Form FS-240 before a notary public in the United States and transmit the application, together with the supporting evidence needed to establish the citizenship claim and identity and the requisite fees to the U.S. embassy or consulate in whose consular district the child was born; and
  4. The post should consult with CA/OCS/L (ASK-OCS-L@state.gov) if any unusual adjudication issues arise.

It piqued my curiosity.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.