Visitor User

I-693 Medical Examination disqualification?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello. Does being on a medication like Paxil for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Anxiety prescribed by a previous psychiatrist/primary care physician disqualify someone from AOS?

Edited by Visitor User

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Hello. Does being on a medication like Paxil for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Anxiety prescribed by a previous psychiatrist/primary care physician disqualify someone from AOS?

What exactly do you mean? If you are on medication that has been prescribed by your MD or NP, and your medical record reflects that, how that can possibly "disqualify" you from AOS?

25 minutes ago, JSWH said:

What exactly do you mean? If you are on medication that has been prescribed by your MD or NP, and your medical record reflects that, how that can possibly "disqualify" you from AOS?

Being a danger to yourself or others can disqualify you.  You might be required to provide a copy of your medical file, or a statement from your therapist with diagnosis and prognosis. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Being a danger to yourself or others can disqualify you.  You might be required to provide a copy of your medical file, or a statement from your therapist with diagnosis and prognosis. 

The mere fact of being on Paxil,  or having diagnosis of OCD or GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), or other mental health issues, even having a schizophernia does not automatically make a person a danger to themselves or to others. The question was about being on Paxil for OCD/GAD, if I get it right. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JSWH said:

I was not sure. The form does ask for mental disorder. I wasn’t sure if it falls into that category. Would this medication be listed in my I-693?

51 minutes ago, JSWH said:

The mere fact of being on Paxil,  or having diagnosis of OCD or GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), or other mental health issues, even having a schizophernia does not automatically make a person a danger to themselves or to others. The question was about being on Paxil for OCD/GAD, if I get it right. 

OCD and Anxiety only.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

Not a danger to self or anyone. 

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

I was not sure. The form does ask for mental disorder. I wasn’t sure if it falls into that category. Would this medication be listed in my I-693?

OCD and Anxiety only.

Are you going to redo your medical? If doctor questions you whether you have ever been treated for mental health disorders, be honest and disclose your diagnosis. Take prescriptions for meds with you. Mention that you never had suicidal/homicidal ideation, never thought about harming yourself. 

I am a mental health professional. I deal with anxiety myself and have to take medication for it. There is nothing wrong in having mental health issues. The things you should avoid by all means are taking controlled substances without a prescription from your doctor and providing false information to immigration authorities. Don't torment yourself, you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, JSWH said:

I simply meant that Visitor user might be asked to provided more details from their therapists - certainly not an excluding factor in most cases. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JSWH said:

Are you going to redo your medical? If doctor questions you whether you have ever been treated for mental health disorders, be honest and disclose your diagnosis. Take prescriptions for meds with you. Mention that you never had suicidal/homicidal ideation, never thought about harming yourself. 

I am a mental health professional. I deal with anxiety myself and have to take medication for it. There is nothing wrong in having mental health issues. The things you should avoid by all means are taking controlled substances without a prescription from your doctor and providing false information to immigration authorities. Don't torment yourself, you'll be fine. 

My initial was in June 2017 so it’s expired now. I did disclose it. Same doctor is my PCP and does not think it’s an issue.

Edited by Visitor User

19 hours ago, Visitor User said:

No, it doesn’t. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

No, it doesn’t. 

But would it be listed on the form in the mental disorder section?

3 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

But would it be listed on the form in the mental disorder section?

Are you adjusting status?  Have you already done your medical for your entrance visa?

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Are you adjusting status?  Have you already done your medical for your entrance visa?

I am doing AOS in USA. I did my I-693 back in June 2017 and my lawyer submitted it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.