lierre

Venice under water as deadly storms hit Italy

15 posts in this topic

Venice under water as deadly storms hit Italy

Excerpt:

"Italy has been battered by fierce winds and rain which have left 11 people dead in the west and north, while schools and tourist sites closed in several regions amid fears for people's safety.

Winds of up to 180km/h (110 mph) were reported, and two tornadoes ripped through the centre of the coastal town of Terracina, killing one person and leaving 10 others injured.

In the canal city of Venice, rising floodwaters overwhelmed many of its famed squares and walkways, with officials saying as much as 75% of the city is now submerged.

Venice's central St Mark's Square was closed on Monday afternoon, after the water level reached "acqua alta" (high water) of 156cm (5.1ft). It is the fourth highest level ever recorded."

Link to the complete article and a few pictures of the aftermath: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46029302

A view of a fallen tree over a car after strong winds hit Terracina, Italy, 29 October 2018

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

6 hours ago, Unidentified said:

My cousin moved from Naples to get away from Mount Vesuvius and moved to a sinking city... :( 

I’ve never been to Venice, but everyone I know who have thinks it’s a lovely city.

and yes, it is unfortunate this is happening ☹️ I do wonder a lot about cities right next to big active volcanoes, for example, Tokyo.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, lierre said:

I’ve never been to Venice, but everyone I know who have thinks it’s a lovely city.

and yes, it is unfortunate this is happening ☹️ I do wonder a lot about cities right next to big active volcanoes, for example, Tokyo.

Seattle.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Satisfied said:

And no one is talking about Trinidad & Tobago from 2 weeks ago...

Oh wow. Did you post about it on here and I totally missed it? 😲

Edited by lierre

Audre Lorde

It is that time of the year when disasters happen left & right  ☹️

Audre Lorde

1 minute ago, Satisfied said:

Monsoon season is rough.  Typhoon just hit the PI too.  Hope your family there is ok?

Yeah, it happens all the time. Luckily, they live in concrete housing and at elevation.

The communities that are hit hardest are in the rural areas (which is most of the Philippines).

Audre Lorde

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, lierre said:

Yeah, it happens all the time. Luckily, they live in concrete housing and at elevation.

The communities that are hit hardest are in the rural areas (which is most of the Philippines).

If I may be so bold as to ask, in what part of the PI do they live?

Edited by Satisfied

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably this is something due to Trump?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

If I may be so bold as to ask, in what part of the PI do they live?

Manila. 

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Presumably this is something due to Trump?

How so? The climate change theory?

Audre Lorde

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, lierre said:

Manila. 

Ahhh, that’s good, not so much rain there this year.  My asawa just landed there a couple of days ago, her family is 2-3 hours north, Pampanga region.  A lot more rain and winds up there, but all is ok with her family, thankfully.