10 posts in this topic

Good evening everyone. I'm trying to petition my fiance from the Philippines, but I'm running into some concerns regarding the application. In the application, I have to put in her parents information, but as a child she became an orphan due to both parents being deceased. She has been adopted and also underwent a complete name change, first, middle, and last name. In the petition, do I put her biological parents or her adopted parents information. Also another concern of mine is that I lost my job fairly recently, but I have a co-sponsor ready for the affidavit of support. I'm seeking to fix my employment status, but would I be ok to proceed with the petition without issue? Don't want to mess this up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can’t comment on her parents because I’m not sure but from what I understand. Manila does not accept Co-sponsors. I would try to find another job asap. You will have a while until NOA 2 so you will have time before you product the I-134.

1 minute ago, NigeriaorBust said:

An adoption ( legal ones )  erases the bio donors relationship and replaces it with the adoptive parent(s) 

Her parents are deceased since she was very young and a neighboring family has taken her in and adopted her. I believe her birth certificate has her new information, since her now parents changed her name as well.

1 minute ago, NigeriaorBust said:

The question is was there a formal adoption.  Who is listed on the birth certificate as parent(s)  

I'll just go with what's on her birth certificate. I'm pretty sure her adoptive parents information is on it. Guess we should also work on getting that too. She's going to have to go to Bicol to get a new one. She's currently in Cebu.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Use the info on the birth certificate. legal adoptions void any other parental info.

for example, my mother remarried when i was 10 (i didnt even know my bio dad at the time). her husband adopted me. The name, and info on my birth certificate changed. I (since that time) have reconnected with my bio dad and CONSIDER him dad - i dont speak often to my adopted dad, i speak to my bio dad all the time). I had to watch myself on my application because i consider my dad...my dad. not my adopted dad. lol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

On the co-sponsor thing I believe they have to accept them for spouse visas so if you have the time up front to get married that would be to your advantage.

MODERATORS please move this to the Philippines subforum as it is Manila specific. OP,  Manila has been tougher on co-sponsor than perhaps other embassies, but it DOES happen...usually with a close relative as co-sponsor. You may also have time to get your employment status stabilized by the time of the interview. Documents such as birth certificates and adoptions can also be "interesting" in the Philippines, so you might get more specific and recent information in that subforum. Good luck.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.