Andreypa

Request for initial evidence (copy of marrige cert)

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello guys!

Has anyone recently received similar request to their submitted i-485 form? We submitted all documents and checked them thoroughly,but still got an RFE. I was guessing all this time -what was it? And it appears that for some reason they need a copy of marriage cert,which we already submitted!!!  Here goes the whole message from the yellow letter: "Submit a copy of the marriage certificate,issued by the appropriate civil authority,between the K-1 applicant and the I-129F petitioner". It made me think,that they need a copy of ORIGINAL that we were given by the priest who married us,but that paper was kept for our own records,right? I sent them exactly, what they needed - a FINAL one and only Marriage Certwith a printed seal on it - a copy of it. Why would they ask for it again? They simply lost it? Was the copy not sufficient for them and they need original or certified copy of the certificate? But than again look at the sentence in the yellow letter which says nothing but a copy of marriage certificate. I'm lost. What would be the right thing to go with,what do you think?

Thank you so much!!!

Edited by Andreypa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Check to see what you actually sent. Maybe you sent the marriage license and not the certificate you got after you got married that is stamped by the courts saying you’re married. Sometimes they ask for stuff they already got because they gotta slow the process down. Check your copy to see what you sent. Just send them what they asked for and you’re good. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Check to see what you actually sent. Maybe you sent the marriage license and not the certificate you got after you got married that is stamped by the courts saying you’re married. Sometimes they ask for stuff they already got because they gotta slow the process down. Check your copy to see what you sent. Just send them what they asked for and you’re good. 

Thank you! I clearly remember that it was Marriage Cert copy. So you think not necessary to certify it? just send a plain photocopy once again? What exactly did you send to them,if you did?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I went to the town hall and got a couple copies - I sent one of those “copies” that included the seal.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

We sent a copy that looked exactly like an original. We got a few of them from the place that issued them. I think this was an issue - it sounds you sent them a photocopy...while in fact we sent them an original in a way if that makes sense.

ROC:  Received Jan 25 2021    NOA 1: February 25 2021 (LIN/Nebraska).    BIOMETRICS: April 30  2021
APPROVED: June 23 2021     CARD DELIVERED:   June 30 2021

AOS:          Received Date:  April 2      NOA 1:  April 5 2018
Biometrics:  April 27  Fingerprint Review Was Completed:  April 30
Case Ready to be scheduled: May 3
( that update only showed up in August! after being notified about EAD&AP )
EAD&AP  We approved your case:  August 8   /  In the mailbox:  August 16 2018
Interview   -    March 14 2019    (
Notice Date:  February 1)  -   Approved!

You only need a photocopy.  Make sure you send front and back. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

You only need a photocopy.  Make sure you send front and back. 

Thank you for your response. There are so many answers online - I did tons of research and there are so many opinions about it - the ratio of answers I would say is even. Some swear that original copy is only needed,where others just send in photocopies. I am really worried,because I don't want to get RFE for the second time,in fact I don't even know if it is acceptable to get an RFE once again. It also might depend on officer,who is reviewing the case - to accept the original and decline the photocopy. 

NikLR, was your answer based on your own experience.please let me know?  Thank you!!!

Did you send front and back the first time? 

People always will "swear" they need to send certified copies or originals when they're not asked for such.  The instructions specifically say to only send photocopies unless they're specifically asked for.  IMHO I would hazard a guess that people simply don't send front AND back. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We didnt have a single issue with either our I-130 petition or CR1 visa nor with my ROC.  I tend to be really good with instructions.  It's why I build all of our furniture.  LOL

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Did you send front and back the first time? 

People always will "swear" they need to send certified copies or originals when they're not asked for such.  The instructions specifically say to only send photocopies unless they're specifically asked for.  IMHO I would hazard a guess that people simply don't send front AND back. 

Dear,NikLR 

I sent in only front portion the first time black&white. The back side is all blank. I assume you made them in color? Is there a big difference color or b/w for the back portion? I also always read instructions and take it very cautiously and with all responsibilities! That is why I am not trying to receive another RFE,but carefully examine the whole thing. On page 10 of I-485instr - item #6 Marriage Certificate and Other Proof of Relationship - it clearly states that:

"If you are filing Form I-485 as the derivative applicant spouse of the principal applicant,you generally must submit a photocopy of your marriage certificate issued by the appropriate civil authority where the marriage took place". 

What made me confused, is this part: "derivative applicant spouse of the principal applicant" - I did not really understand the wording.

Because the I-485 can only be filed with an I-130 or after arriving on a K1 visa (which had an I-129F.)  

If you feel more comfortable sending a certified copy because the back is blank then do so.  We didnt have an issue only sending a photocopy of my husband's birth certificate but I believe I wrote at the bottom saying "back is blank."  I also made sure everything was original size and not enlarged or shrunk.  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Because the I-485 can only be filed with an I-130 or after arriving on a K1 visa (which had an I-129F.)  

If you feel more comfortable sending a certified copy because the back is blank then do so.  We didnt have an issue only sending a photocopy of my husband's birth certificate but I believe I wrote at the bottom saying "back is blank."  I also made sure everything was original size and not enlarged or shrunk.  

Thank your for your help! I will think this all over. I will consult somebody I know tomorrow - who works in Immigration Office, just to hear one more opinion. And in the end  - it would not hurt to drive 30 minutes,pay $20 and get the same document as the original to send it in. It will be more on a safe side and will let me sleep at night lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When we married at the courthouse (in 2012) we requested them additional copies of the marriage certificate to be mailed to us. All of them obviously have the county clerk seal, etc. We wanted to get additional copies because one was gonna be used for my AOS (from K1)and the others we were gonna keep for our records, backup, etc. We did not send a photocopy, we sent one of the original copies the courthouse mailed us.  You don't need a lawyer for something so simple like this. Save your money.

Edited by Sunnyland

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

When we married at the courthouse (in 2012) we requested them additional copies of the marriage certificate to be mailed to us. All of them obviously have the county clerk seal, etc. We wanted to get additional copies because one was gonna be used for my AOS (from K1)and the others we were gonna keep for our records, backup, etc. We did not send a photocopy, we sent one of the original copies the courthouse mailed us.  You don't need a lawyer for something so simple like this. Save your money.

Lol, thank you! I was just going to consult somebody I know - it's absolutely free for me :) I made a mistake paying to a lawyer once - going through K1 process, good I matured since than and for Green Card we filed documents ourselves.

Timeline

So, I was just told by paralegal who works on cases like that - she confirmed that photocopy is fine. They most likely were too lazy to browse through the papers - might have been gone unnoticed or simply lost.  From her words - front page photocopy is sufficient. I will have to come up with the decision now :))

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.