ChadTaljaardt

Visa Interview - AOS Original?

13 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Just a quick questions. For the required document it says "A signed Affidavit of Support from your petitioner and any additional financial sponsors who submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of your visa application.  Applicants may bring photocopies and scanned versions of signed Forms I-864 and associated documents. (Please note that the form must still be signed; typed names and electronic signatures will not be accepted.)".

We filled out the AOS form online, i'm a little confused by the wording of "typed names and electronic signatures will not be accepted.". If we printed the AOS form, then signed it, then scanned it back to get a electronic version and printed that for the interview, would that be valid? Also i assume that when they say "typed names" they are referencing when people type their name instead of putting a signature?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Just reinforcing the previous reply.
I used the free application DocHub (connected to my Google Docs account) to fill out the i-130 and i-864 forms so that everything would be neat and legible.
DocHub offers an electronic signature option.
But, I figured if I'm going to print it and send it, I might as well sign it by hand after I'd given everything a once-over.
Which is good because, per the instructions you quoted, it's apparently a requirement anyhow.

Cheers,

Itchy

Thanks, 

So i'll get her to print it, then sign it, then scan it, then email me it, then i'll print it this side, and then give them the printed version. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

Thanks, 

So i'll get her to print it, then sign it, then scan it, then email me it, then i'll print it this side, and then give them the printed version. 

They need the original i-864, signed in pen.
Make a copy for your records and bring that with everything else to the interview.

The Document Cover Sheet lists the items to send to them in this way:

1. Document Cover Sheet 
2. Photocopies (or copies/printouts of scanned documents after being signed) of Supporting Documents
   Passport,
   Birth Cert.,
   .etc.

3. Signed Affidavit of Support   <----[So, send them the original.]

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Itchy

Timeline
17 minutes ago, ItchyKneeSon said:

They need the original i-864, signed in pen.
Make a copy for your records and bring that with everything else to the interview.

The Document Cover Sheet lists the items to send to them in this way:

1. Document Cover Sheet 
2. Photocopies (or copies/printouts of scanned documents after being signed) of Supporting Documents
   Passport,
   Birth Cert.,
   .etc.

3. Signed Affidavit of Support   <----[So, send them the original.]

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Itchy

I realize now that we didn't fully answer your original question.
For clarity's sake, I'll be a little over descriptive.

Have her sign the i-864 and send it to you.
Once it's in your hands, make a copy for your records, and send the original signed copy to them.

A scan of a signature is the same as a copy of a signature.
They both come out of a printer using ink that isn't from a pen.
The US gov't wants to know that a human signed the document and that it wasn't fabricated by someone else on a computer.

They don't want you to send irreplaceable, important documents like your passport, birth certificate, bank book, driver license, etc.
A form i-864 can be printed and signed again, if necessary.  That's much easier than replacing a passport, etc. that serve important daily functions. 

Kind Regards,

Itchy

• 2 weeks later...

@ItchyKneeSon I found this which says that they accept "scanned" copies of signatures https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/630702-i-864-photocopies-of-signatures-now-accepted

My interview is Monday and i only have the scanned version, so i'll reply back with whether or not they accept it.

Edited by ChadTaljaardt

12 hours ago, ChadTaljaardt said:

@ItchyKneeSon I found this which says that they accept "scanned" copies of signatures https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/630702-i-864-photocopies-of-signatures-now-accepted

My interview is Monday and i only have the scanned version, so i'll reply back with whether or not they accept it.

Hi Im in nvc stage and wondering how to do the signatures aswell.. and is all the forms need to be send online and the docs ? Nothing to mail to them at all?

5 hours ago, Jere & Kath said:

Hi Im in nvc stage and wondering how to do the signatures aswell.. and is all the forms need to be send online and the docs ? Nothing to mail to them at all?

Depends on your embassy.  The NVC does electronic filing of some embassies and consulates but most people need to mail a copy of their docs to the NVC

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 10/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, ItchyKneeSon said:

I realize now that we didn't fully answer your original question.
For clarity's sake, I'll be a little over descriptive.

Have her sign the i-864 and send it to you.
Once it's in your hands, make a copy for your records, and send the original signed copy to them.

A scan of a signature is the same as a copy of a signature.
They both come out of a printer using ink that isn't from a pen.
The US gov't wants to know that a human signed the document and that it wasn't fabricated by someone else on a computer.

They don't want you to send irreplaceable, important documents like your passport, birth certificate, bank book, driver license, etc.
A form i-864 can be printed and signed again, if necessary.  That's much easier than replacing a passport, etc. that serve important daily functions. 

Kind Regards,

Itchy

You no longer need to send the original I-864 to interview.  It would be best practice if there is time to have a wet signature but they do accept a scanned and printed version as long as the signature is not typed or digitally signed.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 11/4/2018 at 10:56 PM, NikLR said:

You no longer need to send the original I-864 to interview.  It would be best practice if there is time to have a wet signature but they do accept a scanned and printed version as long as the signature is not typed or digitally signed.  

Well, that's good to know.
Is there a link to something official rather than a post from a discussion on the topic?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/interview-prepare/required-documents.html

- A signed Affidavit of Support from your petitioner and any additional financial sponsors who submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of your visa application.  Applicants may bring photocopies and scanned versions of signed Forms I-864 and associated documents. (Please note that the form must still be signed; typed names and electronic signatures will not be accepted.)

if you dont understand, in Adobe there is a way to sign the form by just typing your name.  We did this frequently with our house documents when we were offering and countering until we actually had to sign the bill of sale and mortgage docs.  Also at my work we have an electronic signing pad (as do many retail places) for documents.  Fedex and ups also have electronic signing devices.  These are what's not accepted.  A scanned and printed version of a wet signature is accepted. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

Can also confirm that signed copy that has been scanned in and then printed out is all good. I just had my interview today in Estonia. The last bit for I-864 was sent in from US couple of hours before. It was filled in computer, then printed out, signed by hand, scanned back to the computer and then sent to me. I printed it out and it was accepted in embassy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.