windypatricia

How to know if you need a new biometric screening?

11 posts in this topic

This is my second time applying for n400. The first time I applied was in August 2017.

I had my biometric appointment in September 22nd 2017.

My n400 was denied in May 2018 because my husband and I had been living at the current address for less than 3 months when I sent my application in Aug 2017.

Now October 2018 I want to reapply using the online application      (The first time I used the paper application).

I read on the Uscis website that if I send them the payment for the biometric fee, and it turns out I don’t need another biometric screening, then they will reject my application entirely. 

How can I know for sure if I require another biometric screening or not?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
32 minutes ago, windypatricia said:

This is my second time applying for n400. The first time I applied was in August 2017.

I had my biometric appointment in September 22nd 2017.

My n400 was denied in May 2018 because my husband and I had been living at the current address for less than 3 months when I sent my application in Aug 2017.

Now October 2018 I want to reapply using the online application      (The first time I used the paper application).

I read on the Uscis website that if I send them the payment for the biometric fee, and it turns out I don’t need another biometric screening, then they will reject my application entirely. 

How can I know for sure if I require another biometric screening or not?

That seems strange. Are you sure it isn't the reverse, i.e. if you don't send in the fee and it turns out you do need biometrics, then your application is rejected?

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, the instructions are not very clear on this question.  Essentially, you will not know if you need biometrics until they notify you after you file.  I would recommend you assume a biometrics appointment will be necessary even with filings in a recent timeframe.  I know my wife had an I751 biometrics and N400 biometrics appointment a little more than 9 months apart.

Btw, I have never heard of an N400 being denied for only living at a current address for less than 3 months.  Were you living overseas prior?

Good Luck!

Biometrics Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,

photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, obtain additional information, and conduct background

and security checks, including a check of criminal history records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation

(FBI), before making a decision on your application. After USCIS receives your application and ensures it is complete,

we will inform you in writing if you need to attend a biometric services appointment. If an appointment is necessary, the

notice will provide you the location of your local or designated USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) and the date

and time of your appointment or, if you are currently overseas, instruct you to contact a U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate, or

USCIS office outside the United States to set up an appointment.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Well, the instructions are not very clear on this question.  Essentially, you will not know if you need biometrics until they notify you after you file.  I would recommend you assume a biometrics appointment will be necessary even with filings in a recent timeframe.  I know my wife had an I751 biometrics and N400 biometrics appointment a little more than 9 months apart.

Btw, I have never heard of an N400 being denied for only living at a current address for less than 3 months.  Were you living overseas prior?

Good Luck!

Biometrics Services Appointment. USCIS may require that you appear for an interview or provide fingerprints,

photograph, and/or signature at any time to verify your identity, obtain additional information, and conduct background

and security checks, including a check of criminal history records maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation

(FBI), before making a decision on your application. After USCIS receives your application and ensures it is complete,

we will inform you in writing if you need to attend a biometric services appointment. If an appointment is necessary, the

notice will provide you the location of your local or designated USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) and the date

and time of your appointment or, if you are currently overseas, instruct you to contact a U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate, or

USCIS office outside the United States to set up an appointment.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

This is probably what she meant. you must "Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you claim residence"

image.png.34a66cf02dc8519383b5cc85074da66c.png

Timeline
2 hours ago, Life_love said:

This is probably what she meant. you must "Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you claim residence"

image.png.34a66cf02dc8519383b5cc85074da66c.png

Makes sense.  Thanks for the education.

To the OP, thinking about it a bit more, since it has been over a year (or will be) since your last N400 filing, I would assume you will be required to conduct another one since it has been over a year.  To use the rule for passport photos, these need to be taken within six months of their use (not sure if the same rule applies, but it may).

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Makes sense.  Thanks for the education.

To the OP, thinking about it a bit more, since it has been over a year (or will be) since your last N400 filing, I would assume you will be required to conduct another one since it has been over a year.  To use the rule for passport photos, these need to be taken within six months of their use (not sure if the same rule applies, but it may).

Good Luck!

How does one submit passport photos on an online application? 

They really cant even provide a solid answer to help someone determine if they need fingerprints taken AGAIN!? Not only this, but they are disposed to punishing someone for sending in extra money for a biometrics appointment they don't need?! 

September 25th: I-130 Emergency petition filed at US Embassy in Lima.

October 3rd: I-130 Petition Approved.

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

7 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

That seems strange. Are you sure it isn't the reverse, i.e. if you don't send in the fee and it turns out you do need biometrics, then your application is rejected?

"NOTE: USCIS cannot accept a biometric services fee if you are not required to pay a biometric services fee. USCIS will reject your Form N-400 if you submit the incorrect fee or if you attach payment for more than what you are required to pay. In such a case, USCIS will return any ling fees you submitted with your Form N-400.  "

quote taken from page 16 of this document:

n-400instr.pdf?download=1

October 10th: Consular Section sent checklist and notification scheduling my spouse's visa interview for November 13th.

If you are filing online, the system tells you what to pay (just one total number) so presumably it knows whether or not you need biometrics. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

10 hours ago, insipidtoast said:

They really cant even provide a solid answer to help someone determine if they need fingerprints taken AGAIN!? Not only this, but they are disposed to punishing someone for sending in extra money for a biometrics appointment they don't need?! 

Passport photos shouldn't be required for an N400 in this situation.  I *think* that is only a requirement for people applying from outside of the US (someone can correct me if I am wrong).  

That being said, when using the online application, it allows you to upload various types of files (PDFs, jpgs, etc) providing the file size is below max size.  So whatever documents you need to attach (i.e. tax return transcripts) will be uploaded before you hit the final submit button.  You do also have the ability to upload additional evidence after submission.

People should automatically assume another biometric appointment is required and and pay the fee.  There is no way to know beforehand.  You will get rejected if it's needed and the fee wasn't included.  They don't punish an applicant for sending extra money to cover it upfront.     

Timeline
11 hours ago, insipidtoast said:

1 hour ago, mtempelaar said:

Passport photos shouldn't be required for an N400 in this situation.  I *think* that is only a requirement for people applying from outside of the US (someone can correct me if I am wrong).  

That being said, when using the online application, it allows you to upload various types of files (PDFs, jpgs, etc) providing the file size is below max size.  So whatever documents you need to attach (i.e. tax return transcripts) will be uploaded before you hit the final submit button.  You do also have the ability to upload additional evidence after submission.

People should automatically assume another biometric appointment is required and and pay the fee.  There is no way to know beforehand.  You will get rejected if it's needed and the fee wasn't included.  They don't punish an applicant for sending extra money to cover it upfront.     

I was not stating that a passport photo was required, I was only comparing the fact that the US gov requires a passport photo to be less than six months old.  The OP was trying to determine if they would be required to do another biometrics.  The instructions are not clear on this, so if one is filing by mail, how do you determine if you need to include the biometrics fee.  I realize that USCIS is not always logical, but I thought it might be like the six month requirement.

To be clear, the N400 instructions do not require a passport photo to be included unless the application is coming from someone outside the US.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:56 AM, Bill & Katya said:

I was not stating that a passport photo was required, I was only comparing the fact that the US gov requires a passport photo to be less than six months old.  The OP was trying to determine if they would be required to do another biometrics.  The instructions are not clear on this, so if one is filing by mail, how do you determine if you need to include the biometrics fee.  I realize that USCIS is not always logical, but I thought it might be like the six month requirement.

To be clear, the N400 instructions do not require a passport photo to be included unless the application is coming from someone outside the US.

The answer to the question about including biometrics payment when refiling is that it's mandatory.  I found the answer in the FAQ section on uscis...I think it was number 22.

Yes, passport photos only required if residing abroad.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.