lierre

Sibling going to US grad school

30 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, geowrian said:

PD = Priority Date. This determines when a visa number becomes available for the given I-130 petition. When you file the I-130, you'll get a PD. Then regardless of when the I-130 is approved, you wait for that to become current for their classification in the Visa Bulletin before it will proceed through NVC and schedule an interview.

Thanks!! I guess I have to be familiar with that term now if my family decides to immigrate.

29 minutes ago, willcrack said:

Also, remember H1-B is dual intent (entering or adjusting with non-immigrant intent but also is allowed to pursue permanent residency). Now, if she is anyways doing PhD, there is a good case for applying thro' an employment-based (EB) petition made by an employer once she graduates - that will be on her own merit without tagging to any family immigration alternatives. For a Philippines born person, and with an EB (there are multiple priority categories here - research it) route, they would get green card easily within 24 months if not earlier. 

Oh yes, I forgot that H1B has a residency path, unlike J1.

Yeah, employment-based is a possibility for sure. Her case probably falls under E2 or E3. But, she’s not really decided on immigration yet so I didn’t even look at that closely.

Would you say going through the employment route for immigration is easier than the family-sponsored Route? Especially if she gets a full time job here after grad school?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Family route is easier, if you qualify which as a sibling she does and assuming nothing else weird applies then at some point she will get it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, ivyyy said:

Would you say going through the employment route for immigration is easier than the family-sponsored Route? Especially if she gets a full time job here after grad school?

Not easier, given many H1B visas fall under a lottery and there is a lot to happen and no certainty to turn an H1 into a green card, but if it happens it’s likely to be significantly faster - especially if your parents don’t want to immigrate but only your sister does.

Timeline

What is she studying?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

6 hours ago, CEE53147 said:

H-1Bs for PhDs vary greatly by specialty.  Jobs are not guaranteed. She needs to research programs and opportunities post graduation.

7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not easier, given many H1B visas fall under a lottery and there is a lot to happen and no certainty to turn an H1 into a green card, but if it happens it’s likely to be significantly faster - especially if your parents don’t want to immigrate but only your sister does.

Thanks!! I really need to read up more on these other visas. But, I feel like I’m getting plenty here.

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

What is she studying?

She is looking at educational leadership programs, preferring those with an early childhood focus

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Not an obvious area that would result in a work visa, presumably it would be helpful for her career back home, studying in the US is expensive, just wondering if it make financial sense to do this in the US.

3 hours ago, Mr & Mrs said:

If you apply for immigrant visa for your sister and then if she applies for student visa,her chances will be slim of getting student visa once you have immigrant file in place for her.

I don’t think this is necessarily true in the case of a sibling visa for Philippines given the more than two decade waiting time. It’s not like sister will be able to adjust status from her student visa. 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t think this is necessarily true in the case of a sibling visa for Philippines given the more than two decade waiting time. It’s not like sister will be able to adjust status from her student visa. 

I was telling from my experience,i have seen cases where someone have applied for their sibling and despite of getting admission in high reputable universities and scholarships they were denied student visa just because of they have immigrant visa file in place.i know its weird how they think , in some cases i have seen they only asked one question to beneficiaries if anyone have ever applied for them and you have to answer honestly and they just been rejected just by telling that either their family or sibling have applied an immigrant visa for them.they didnt even check their any papers or anything or even ask any other question it was straight rejection. Well its not always true in each case ,m not saying u cant get it but ur chances will be less. I will prefer first apply for ur parents and they can come fast here then ask ur sister to apply for student visa in mean time and then asked ur parents to apply for her.This is more efficient and fast way to go.

Edited by Mr & Mrs

44 minutes ago, Mr & Mrs said:

I was telling from my experience,i have seen cases where someone have applied for their sibling and despite of getting admission in high reputable universities and scholarships they were denied student visa just because of they have immigrant visa file in place.i know its weird how they think , in some cases i have seen they only asked one question to beneficiaries if anyone have ever applied for them and you have to answer honestly and they just been rejected just by telling that either their family or sibling have applied an immigrant visa for them.they didnt even check their any papers or anything or even ask any other question it was straight rejection. Well its not always true in each case ,m not saying u cant get it but ur chances will be less. I will prefer first apply for ur parents and they can come fast here then ask ur sister to apply for student visa in mean time and then asked ur parents to apply for her.This is more efficient and fast way to go.

Yes definitely not true in all cases, I had no problem with NIVs while an F3 petition was in place. My point was that while a shorter time petition may lead to concerns the person will try adjust, a PhD will be what, 6, 7 years maybe, wait time for Phillipines F4 is like 25 years. She won’t be interpreted as intending to adjust on F4 in this case. Will there be other factors, possibly, but in principle it’s silly to expect someone signing up for the time involved in a PhD to be able to show strong ties to home anyway.

and yes “only asked one question” that’s because they have the info they need in the forms already, including the answer to the one you highlight, in almost all cases the decision is already made before the interview. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

The totality of the case is what matters and often we see focus on one aspect.

Yeah, a PhD will likely be at least 5 years and now that I know the family sponsored visa wait for siblings is 25 years for the Philippines, I do agree that her getting an IV might be easier if it’s employee-based.

Don’t know if I can adequately explain why pursuing a doctorate here would be better than going with a program in the Philippines without you having experienced living in the Philippines. But one of the upsides of doing grad school here, from my perspective as a former grad student, you can study for a PhD & be able to fully immerse yourself in the academic environment (e.g. get a teaching assistant position, etc.). To me, the latter would seem very important for growth in that field. Also, educational leadership grad programs in the Philippines are not focused on early childhood.

Thanks for the discussion, everyone! 😊

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Obviously not a cheap option but if it was what she wants to do and can afford it go for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.