Jump to content
eckoin

If the USCIS case status online isn't reliable, then would calling USCIS be a good idea for updates?

16 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So far, the egov website (egov.uscis.gov/casestatus) has been pretty good to me.  When I expedited the EAD, all updates came through there without issues.  All other forms have had zero updates since they were received (not even the biometrics update for I-485 several months ago).

 

The DHS website (myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov) can't find my I-130 at all, and is showing "we received your application" for I-765, despite the fact that I've had my EAD card for over two weeks now.  I-485 does show that my fingerprint review was completed in July.  No other updates.

 

I hear a lot that the online case trackers aren't super accurate.  Would calling USCIS actually get me any more information (potentially), or is that futile?

 

I don't really want to submit a case inquiry since my case is far from being outside of processing times.  I'm just wondering if there are truly no updates, or if the web trackers are failing me.


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You won’t see an update passed that until they are ready to schedule your interview. No need to call USCIS. Just wait. If you just did biometrics in July it will be a while until you hear back. AOS is currently taking over a year. The DHS website is pretty useless but the USCIS one is good. Just wait for the text message and you’ll see a new update. 

 

Uscis doesn’t allow you to submit a case inquiry until you are passed standard processing times. You are far from that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally the status won't change for awhile, it just sits there and seems like nothing is happening. It's still early in the process.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gifvd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gifgiphy.gif     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

You won’t see an update passed that until they are ready to schedule your interview. No need to call USCIS. Just wait. If you just did biometrics in July it will be a while until you hear back. AOS is currently taking over a year. The DHS website is pretty useless but the USCIS one is good. Just wait for the text message and you’ll see a new update. 

Yeah that's fair.  I've just seen a lot of people who applied at the same time as me or later, move into "Ready to be scheduled for interview" so I'm paranoid that I'll get an RFE (or already got an RFE) and the websites just don't update it.  And it got/will get lost in the mail or otherwise be undeliverable.

 

7 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Uscis doesn’t allow you to submit a case inquiry until you are passed standard processing times. You are far from that. 

That's what I understand based on their criteria to submit an inquiry, so I won't be bothering them.  I've heard that suggested as an option though (even if the case is well within the processing times). 


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Yeah that's fair.  I've just seen a lot of people who applied at the same time as me or later, move into "Ready to be scheduled for interview" so I'm paranoid that I'll get an RFE (or already got an RFE) and the websites just don't update it.  And it got/will get lost in the mail or otherwise be undeliverable.

 

That's what I understand based on their criteria to submit an inquiry, so I won't be bothering them.  I've heard that suggested as an option though (even if the case is well within the processing times). 

You can’t judge AOS time by other people. Aos is processed differently than petitions at USCIS. The office processing your case might be different than that of those people you are comparing yours to. Some offices don’t have a big load of cases and can process faster than others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TNJ17 said:

You can’t judge AOS time by other people. Aos is processed differently than petitions at USCIS. The office processing your case might be different than that of those people you are comparing yours to. Some offices don’t have a big load of cases and can process faster than others. 

Mine's still at NBC.  Wouldn't changing to "ready to be scheduled for interview" generally be done at NBC?  I thought that's the point of that status (usually, anyway) - to signal that your application is good to go, send it to your local office, and then you wait for unknown periods of time before the interview is actually scheduled.

 

I don't really care at the end of the day, if it takes two more months or 12 more months.  I'm just, as I said, paranoid that I'm not getting some updates about any potential RFEs/RFIEs, since both egov and dhs are definitely not showing some updates that did actually happen.


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Mine's still at NBC.  Wouldn't changing to "ready to be scheduled for interview" generally be done at NBC?  I thought that's the point of that status (usually, anyway) - to signal that your application is good to go, send it to your local office, and then you wait for unknown periods of time before the interview is actually scheduled.

 

I don't really care at the end of the day, if it takes two more months or 12 more months.  I'm just, as I said, paranoid that I'm not getting some updates about any potential RFEs/RFIEs, since both egov and dhs are definitely not showing some updates that did actually happen.

No not necessarily. And you won’t get any updates until they’re ready. It takes time. That’s how it is for everyone. If you call USCIS that’s what they’ll tell you. That you’re under standard processing times and you need to wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eckoin said:

So far, the egov website (egov.uscis.gov/casestatus) has been pretty good to me.  When I expedited the EAD, all updates came through there without issues.  All other forms have had zero updates since they were received (not even the biometrics update for I-485 several months ago).

 

The DHS website (myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov) can't find my I-130 at all, and is showing "we received your application" for I-765, despite the fact that I've had my EAD card for over two weeks now.  I-485 does show that my fingerprint review was completed in July.  No other updates.

 

I hear a lot that the online case trackers aren't super accurate.  Would calling USCIS actually get me any more information (potentially), or is that futile?

 

I don't really want to submit a case inquiry since my case is far from being outside of processing times.  I'm just wondering if there are truly no updates, or if the web trackers are failing me.

You can call and ask to speak to a level 2 rep. Truth is level 1 reps only have access to what you and I see on our screens at home. -Yup, great allocation of resources, I know- They're there for people who do not have access to internet/computer, or aren't comfortable using one.

 

Charleston, SC. has historically scheduled for interview around the 90 day mark. To get to a level 2, you can just politely tell the level 1 that you want to know the current physical location of your file and that you know that level 1s do not have access to that information, and level 2 officers do. The earlier you call, the better. 

 

 


Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
03/14/2018 - AOS package sent via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox.
03/16/2018 - FedEx confirmation of delivery to USCIS.
03/28/2018 - Four Email/Text notifications 11:18pm; 11:21pm; 11:24pm; 11:27pm.
04/02/2018 - Four I-797 Notice of Action letters received by mail.
04/06/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Notice for 04/18/17.
04/12/2018 - Biometrics Walk-in - Mission accomplished.
04/13/2018 - "We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing your case" - updated 04/15/2018

04/23/2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

You can call and ask to speak to a level 2 rep. Truth is level 1 reps only have access to what you and I see on our screens at home. -Yup, great allocation of resources, I know- They're there for people who do not have access to internet/computer, or aren't comfortable using one.

 

Charleston, SC. has historically scheduled for interview around the 90 day mark. To get to a level 2, you can just politely tell the level 1 that you want to know the current physical location of your file and that you know that level 1s do not have access to that information, and level 2 officers do. The earlier you call, the better. 

 

 

That's not a bad idea, I will call!  

 

I was under the impression that the Charleston office is currently medium-backlogged--not as bad as TX but certainly not as quick as many others.  When you say 90 day mark, do you mean since they physically receive the application?  So if I call tomorrow morning, and they tell me that my forms are at the Charleston field office, it would be reasonable for me to expect some sort of update within 90 days or so?


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eckoin said:

That's not a bad idea, I will call!  

 

I was under the impression that the Charleston office is currently medium-backlogged--not as bad as TX but certainly not as quick as many others.  When you say 90 day mark, do you mean since they physically receive the application?  So if I call tomorrow morning, and they tell me that my forms are at the Charleston field office, it would be reasonable for me to expect some sort of update within 90 days or so?

I've noticed that folks on 1mmiH3LP who filed in Charleston are getting their interviews within 90 days to 5 or 6 months. That being said - you just filed. Take a deep breath. I would instead focus on gathering your evidence of bona fide marriage. DId you send ALL your evidence of bona fide marriage as required by the I-130 instructions on page 3/12?

 


Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
03/14/2018 - AOS package sent via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox.
03/16/2018 - FedEx confirmation of delivery to USCIS.
03/28/2018 - Four Email/Text notifications 11:18pm; 11:21pm; 11:24pm; 11:27pm.
04/02/2018 - Four I-797 Notice of Action letters received by mail.
04/06/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Notice for 04/18/17.
04/12/2018 - Biometrics Walk-in - Mission accomplished.
04/13/2018 - "We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing your case" - updated 04/15/2018

04/23/2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eckoin said:

That's not a bad idea, I will call!  

 

I was under the impression that the Charleston office is currently medium-backlogged--not as bad as TX but certainly not as quick as many others.  When you say 90 day mark, do you mean since they physically receive the application?  So if I call tomorrow morning, and they tell me that my forms are at the Charleston field office, it would be reasonable for me to expect some sort of update within 90 days or so?

Here is the Charleston, SC data.

This field office processes more AOS petitions than it receives. 905 is not really a backlog to be worried about. 

 

 

                                Family based                                            Employment based                               Humanitarian based.

               Received  Approved Denied Pending Received Approved  Denied  Pending Received  Approved  Denied  Pending

01/01/18 - 03/31/18

 

303 356 53 905   44   D 176 22 225   D 252

10/01/17 - 12/31/17

 

344 337 48 903   10   79 27 222   D 111

07/01/17 - 09/30/17

 

355 430 88 838                
04/01/17 - 06/30/17 373 696 63 929                

 

01/01/17 - 03/31/17  

323 294 39 1,156                

 

10/01/16 - 12/31/16

368 304 32 820                

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
03/14/2018 - AOS package sent via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox.
03/16/2018 - FedEx confirmation of delivery to USCIS.
03/28/2018 - Four Email/Text notifications 11:18pm; 11:21pm; 11:24pm; 11:27pm.
04/02/2018 - Four I-797 Notice of Action letters received by mail.
04/06/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Notice for 04/18/17.
04/12/2018 - Biometrics Walk-in - Mission accomplished.
04/13/2018 - "We reviewed your biometrics and are still processing your case" - updated 04/15/2018

04/23/2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, USC4SPOUSE said:

I've noticed that folks on 1mmiH3LP who filed in Charleston are getting their interviews within 90 days to 5 or 6 months. That being said - you just filed. Take a deep breath. I would instead focus on gathering your evidence of bona fide marriage. DId you send ALL your evidence of bona fide marriage as required by the I-130 instructions on page 3/12?

 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:24 PM, USC4SPOUSE said:

 

Hmm, 5-6 months seems quick.  You're right though, it is processing more applications that it receives.  I'll call today and see if it's actually in Charleston already, or not yet.

 

I sent "most" of the evidence.  I'm planning to gather a bunch more, but none of it is a make-or-break (mutual memberships to the museum, both names at the daycare and the vet, both listed as contacts for pet insurance, silly things like that).  I'm also working on the whole joint bank account thing that so far we haven't really cared for--we'll use a joint credit card for some recurring payments.

 

23 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

Actually read the bottom of any receipt sent by USCIS

says 'don't contact us"

Are you being sarcastic or?


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eckoin said:

Hmm, 5-6 months seems quick.  You're right though, it is processing more applications that it receives.  I'll call today and see if it's actually in Charleston already, or not yet.

 

I sent "most" of the evidence.  I'm planning to gather a bunch more, but none of it is a make-or-break (mutual memberships to the museum, both names at the daycare and the vet, both listed as contacts for pet insurance, silly things like that).  I'm also working on the whole joint bank account thing that so far we haven't really cared for--we'll use a joint credit card for some recurring payments.

 

Are you being sarcastic or?

no   it was stated at bottom of all my written notices

was just stating a fact

facts are important to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

no   it was stated at bottom of all my written notices

was just stating a fact

facts are important to me

My notices say 

Quote

If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice or the status of your case, please contact our customer service number.

Perhaps our categories are different, and therefore different communication preferences.  I don't see anything where USCIS discourages me to contact them--though I do know that I'm not in any position to submit a service request.


Adjusting from TN to GC as immediate relative of USC

2015-11-23: Most recent TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2017-08-15: First child

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-03: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, and I-765

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-07-25: Biometrics review completed

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-08-31: Request for additional information for EAD expedite mailed by USCIS

2018-09-07: Request for additional information for EAD expedite received in the mail

2018-09-07: Additional information for EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

2018-09-10: Mailed I-131 to USCIS

2018-09-14: EAD approved

2018-09-18: EAD approval notice received in the mail 

2018-09-18: EAD card was mailed 

2018-09-20: NOA1 for I-131

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

------------------

2018-11-21: TN expires

2018-12-11: AOS Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×