Jump to content
Carlos Alanis

I need help: K-1 Visa

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi, my name is Carlos, and I'm 19 years old. I lived in Rhode Island for 8 years. This past summer we had to come back to Mexico and our working visa was denied. Long story short - we are living in Mexico now. I have a girlfriend and we turn 2 years in November. Now I'll finish school here in 3 years, this way I can apply for a K-1 visa with my girlfriend at the end of those three years. I just want to know if anyone could give me some information I need to know or any feedback about my situation. Or something that I need to know; since I have just turned 19 & I'm clueless on this stuff. Thank you in advance and if anyone could reply or email me  at XXXXXXX [removed].  Thank you so much 

Edited by TBoneTX
remove identifying info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above has been edited to remove a personal e-mail address from this VERY public forum.

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the K-1 Process forum.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carlos Alanis said:

Hi, my name is Carlos, and I'm 19 years old. I lived in Rhode Island for 8 years. This past summer we had to come back to Mexico and our working visa was denied. Long story short - we are living in Mexico now. I have a girlfriend and we turn 2 years in November. Now I'll finish school here in 3 years, this way I can apply for a K-1 visa with my girlfriend at the end of those three years. I just want to know if anyone could give me some information I need to know or any feedback about my situation. Or something that I need to know; since I have just turned 19 & I'm clueless on this stuff. Thank you in advance and if anyone could reply or email me  at XXXXXXX [removed].  Thank you so much 

Who is the US citizen? I recommend the DCF route in Mexico if you are going to be there for another 3 years for school. This would also give you two time to figure out if you are ready for marriage. Whomever is the US citizen needs to make sure they establish domicile in the US while they are out of country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Umka36 said:

Who is the US citizen? I recommend the DCF route in Mexico if you are going to be there for another 3 years for school. This would also give you two time to figure out if you are ready for marriage. Whomever is the US citizen needs to make sure they establish domicile in the US while they are out of country.

My girlfriend is the U.S. citizen, and she is suppose to have an apartment in the next two years because her university requires juniors and seniors to move out of the dorms and into apartments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Umka36 said:

Is your girlfriend going to school in Mexico or the US?

Boston. She is was born and raised there. I was born in Mexico and at age 10 moved to RI and met her junior year and we dated all junior and senior year (well we are still dating) and now she is going to UMass Boston and I'm in Mexico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand corrected as I thought both of you will be in Mexico. Until you two are ready to file for the K1 visa, there not much you can do besides visiting. It's unlikely you will be visiting the US, but she can visit you in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Umka36 said:

I stand corrected as I thought both of you will be in Mexico. Until you two are ready to file for the K1 visa, there not much you can do besides visiting. It's unlikely you will be visiting the US, but she can visit you in Mexico.

Thank you for everything, I just been trying to get in contact with someone from USCIS but its pretty much impossible without an appointment and I can't schedule something right now, I just wanted quick answers. And yes we are planning for her to come in January. Thank you again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems, if you both are serious, and you still planning on finishing your college in MX, least expensive course of action might be getting married after a year in MX, then applying for CR1 while you are still in college. That way you will enter US with green card, and will be able to work right away. It cost less in a long run too then doing K-1 then adjustment of status etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Carlos Alanis said:

Thank you for everything, I just been trying to get in contact with someone from USCIS but its pretty much impossible without an appointment and I can't schedule something right now, I just wanted quick answers. And yes we are planning for her to come in January. Thank you again

 

Main thing to remember is also to be able to apply for the I-129f petition (fiance visa) you must have met within two years physically of applying, so say you don't meet in person again for 2 years from today and try to apply the petition would be rejected.You both should look into your options as pertaining to the benefits between K-1 or CR-1 visa. This forum has a lot of information. Can search on top right hand corner in the search bar for country specific things or information about each process and read older threads from peoples experiences. On top of this page is the "portals" tab, that will take you to the Mexico forum and you can read there country specific topics.


08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gifvd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gifgiphy.gif     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

 

Main thing to remember is also to be able to apply for the I-129f petition (fiance visa) you must have met within two years physically of applying, so say you don't meet in person again for 2 years from today and try to apply the petition would be rejected.You both should look into your options as pertaining to the benefits between K-1 or CR-1 visa. This forum has a lot of information. Can search on top right hand corner in the search bar for country specific things or information about each process and read older threads from peoples experiences. On top of this page is the "portals" tab, that will take you to the Mexico forum and you can read there country specific topics.

Thank you! I will look into it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×