TimonLovesSkylour

Does the consular officer at interview, or the CBP officers at POE, care about a late-ish wedding date? (~80 days after POE)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there everyone,

So, my question is basically in the topic title... my fiancée and I are wanting to get married on January 17, 2019. As long as things go well at the interview (October 10) with getting my visa and passport back, we're hoping I'll be able to make entry to the US on October 26, 2018 (please also let me know if this part of the timeline is overly optimistic or anything).

The thing is, this is 83 days after the date of POE -- it is within the 90 days, but it is close to the end. So will that bother the Consular Officer at the interview, or the Customs agents I'll be speaking to at POE once I'm flying there?

If it helps clarify things, the reason we'd like to wait is because there are so many other special days coming up (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, her birthday in early January) -- and we want our wedding to happen at its own time, and not be rolled into the holidays, or her birthday, and the stresses that can come from running around to different people's houses for those events.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not an issue, delays EAD etc could complicate Health Insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Not an issue, delays EAD etc could complicate Health Insurance.

Hmmm...good points.. hadn't had time yet to consider things like that, we've just been trying to finalise a time this weekend (a lot of family travelling from other places to coordinate with). Thank you for pointing it out!

You could also do what my partner and I are planning, which is a courthouse wedding soon after POE and then a celebration with friends and family next summer when we're settled and I have all my papers submitted etc. 

1 minute ago, databit said:

If you marry by December 31, you get to file your taxes as married for all of 2018. :)

Also this! 

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

After Visa is issued you have 6 months to enter from the date of the medical exam. I was planning the same thing. Have had Visa since August and my fiancee will not enter until November 20th right before Thanksgiving. We are planning a Valentines Day wedding on February 14th, 2019, and that will be 86 days into the process. Will ship out the AOS next day the 15th after picking up the wedding certificate, and should be received at the exact 90 day mark.

EAD is going to take forever anyway, I learned a long time ago into this process to expect everything to take years or more, then you don't worry about the process at all, why sweat the little things.

And heath insurance can be bought at any time for a temporary short term policy, then after marriage add her to your insurance, not sure how that complicates health insurance. I already have health insurance for my fiancee paid for that starts the day she lands November 20th, and continues for 90 days. It's not a cover everything policy, but it will protect me in case she has a heart attack or some other unforeseen illness that would otherwise destroy you financially. It is a calamity policy I believe they called it.

And if you are getting married for the Tax break, or the discount in auto insurance, you should reconsider the relationship.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

Delaying a few months delays many things, EAD, AP etc.

Having to pay full wack for Obama compliant Insurance can be a challenge to some.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Delaying a few months delays many things, EAD, AP etc.

Having to pay full wack for Obama compliant Insurance can be a challenge to some.

Yes, the EAD and AP are delayed by a few months that is true, but on the insurance side of things they removed the Insurance mandate penalty starting in 2019. If the OP fiancee arrives late October 2018, they can use any insurance they want, it does not have to be Obama compliant. You can go without insurance for up to 90 days without penalty under the current laws in effect for 2018 by filing for an exemption ( Just checking a box on your tax form) and explaining why you didn't have coverage for up to the 90 days. Obviously you didn't even enter the country until late October is a good reason that you didn't have coverage for the rest of the year, and in this case pretty easy to prove if questioned as you will have passport stamps and I94 to reference if they want to make a big deal out of it.

So get a Aflack, or similar policy to cover any really expensive things, and if you really need to visit a doctor as crappy as the insurance is in this country anyway you would be amazed the discount you get for paying cash. I believe the 90 day policy I got was around 300 dollars or so for the 90 days coverage, so about a hundred a month. not bad as when I add her to my policy at work next year it will cost me around 140 a month extra out of my paycheck to add a spouse with all the coverage I have in place., and I just have the Core plan, the general run of the mill insurance.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

As another note, she won't Technically have to file taxes for the year 2018 anyway because she won't even come close to the 183 days of stay to be considered a resident for the tax year. they would be considered a Non-resident alien, and not required to file. Now if you are here on a work visa or something that is a whole other story.

Timeline

Aflac?

Really?

PS There was a reason it was cheap.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as long as its within 90 days its fine. alternatively, you can can get married (legally) as soon as she arrives and have the wedding later. that is what we will be doing.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

No issue with getting married later as long as it's within 90 days. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
18 hours ago, TimonLovesSkylour said:

As long as things go well at the interview (October 10) with getting my visa and passport back, we're hoping I'll be able to make entry to the US on October 26, 2018 (please also let me know if this part of the timeline is overly optimistic or anything).

This MAY be possible as long as all your ducks are in a row, however be prepared just in case they want additional documents / a new form of a document that you have. I did my interview Aug 15th, and they wanted a new medical from me. Got the medical to them the next week, they took 4 weeks to process it, and another 2 for me to send my passport and get my official "VISA ISSUED" status.

However, that very easily couldn't be the case, just want you prepared! :) Wishing you the best of luck.

Capture.JPG

Timeline
On 10/8/2018 at 9:00 PM, Loren Y said:

After Visa is issued you have 6 months to enter from the date of the medical exam. I was planning the same thing. Have had Visa since August and my fiancee will not enter until November 20th right before Thanksgiving. We are planning a Valentines Day wedding on February 14th, 2019, and that will be 86 days into the process. Will ship out the AOS next day the 15th after picking up the wedding certificate, and should be received at the exact 90 day mark.

EAD is going to take forever anyway, I learned a long time ago into this process to expect everything to take years or more, then you don't worry about the process at all, why sweat the little things.

And heath insurance can be bought at any time for a temporary short term policy, then after marriage add her to your insurance, not sure how that complicates health insurance. I already have health insurance for my fiancee paid for that starts the day she lands November 20th, and continues for 90 days. It's not a cover everything policy, but it will protect me in case she has a heart attack or some other unforeseen illness that would otherwise destroy you financially. It is a calamity policy I believe they called it.

And if you are getting married for the Tax break, or the discount in auto insurance, you should reconsider the relationship.

Well, just to clarify, I'm the Canadian beneficiary, she is the US petitioner. Anyway, I'm young, and in very good health...so I'm not really sure it's worth it to spend the money on insurance for a few months, I don't know... I suppose freak accidents are possible. We haven't specifically addressed that yet. We'll give it some consideration, thank you for raising the issue.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:45 PM, KaeAlexandria said:

This MAY be possible as long as all your ducks are in a row, however be prepared just in case they want additional documents / a new form of a document that you have. I did my interview Aug 15th, and they wanted a new medical from me. Got the medical to them the next week, they took 4 weeks to process it, and another 2 for me to send my passport and get my official "VISA ISSUED" status.

However, that very easily couldn't be the case, just want you prepared! :) Wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you!

The interview went smoothly and I received my visa a couple of days later via Canada Post Xpresspost (paid for the to-house courier delivery), so it looks like things are going to work out on the timeline we were hoping for!

The medical exam I had was done by Dr. Lyndon Mascarenhas, in Toronto (office is at St Clair and Bathurst), for anyone wondering, and the consulate had no issues with it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.