nompish

N-400 October 2018 Filers

1,465 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, dannyphan91 said:

My cousin she had passed her interview today and have oath ceremony this afternoon. Goood luck to you

oh thats great news for your cousin, congrats! i am looking forward to Monday :)

K-1 Journey

2015 01 14 : I-129F Mailed

2015 01 22: NOA-2

2015 03 09 : Packet 3 Received

2015 05 19 : Interview - PASSED (K-1 Visa Approved)

2015 08 19 : Arrived U.S.

2015 10 30 : Married :dance:

AOS Journey

11/05/2015: AOS Package Mailed

11/07/2015: AOS Delivered

11/15/2015: NOAx3 text and email received

11/18/2015: NOAx3 received via mail date 11/10/2015

11/26/2015: Received biometrics letter scheduled for 12/10/2015

12/10/2015: Biometrics completed

01/08/2016: Case status update I-485 "New card being produced"

01/10/2016: Case status update I-485 "Case approved"

01/12/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card was mailed to me"

01/13/2016: Case status update I-485 "My Card picked up by USPS

01/15/2016: GREENCARD IN HAND!! DONE FOR NOW!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Filed: Timeline
On 4/18/2019 at 8:57 AM, Geordie said:

My interview is tomorrow in Fairfax, VA. Mixture of excitement and nerves. I'll post about the experience when I get home afterwards. I'm treating it just like an interview, I'll be wearing a shirt and necktie. 

Huh, I totally understand. Fairfax is cool, I used to live in Vienna, VA.  Good luck tomorrow 

Hello everyone, 

I have a question who already went to the interview. Do I need passport photos or not? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
2 hours ago, Greencardchicago said:

Huh, I totally understand. Fairfax is cool, I used to live in Vienna, VA.  Good luck tomorrow 

Hello everyone, 

I have a question who already went to the interview. Do I need passport photos or not? 

No you do not need passport photos!! But bring them at your oath ceremony just in case you want to apply for your passport right after

Question for the Americans? What did you send in for your passport? A friend said you need to send in your original (only!) copy of naturalization. The gov site says, certified copies are ok, but she insisted that you have to do. Did you send in the OG or a copy? If a copy, did you have to request something special from uscis or is it enough to get it copies & notarized at a bank?

It was my oath ceremony yesterday, in Wichita Kansas. Everyone was invited to arrive at 12pm, so we (me and my husband) got there at  11:15pm only to discover it didn’t start until 1:30pm.

I was expecting a lot of people as it was held in a theatre, and there were around 150 immigrants, plus lots of family and friends. The place was packed.

About 12pm, we were organised into lines by the local director of USCIS – 2 lines of immigrants with family and friends quickly separated from us. I stood in line for over an hour before I got to the check-in desk where for the first of numerous times that day, I had to show my appointment letter. That became the document the IO officers wanted to see the most. I also had to hand in my 2-year and 10-year green card.

Then we had to line up again to get into the theatre. There were two guys dressed in colonial outfits who gave us a pamphlet on the American flag and a program for the ceremony. We were led onto the stage and had to show the invitation letter again, and then go to a table to sign our naturalisation certificate which the IO took back straight away. We were also given a large white envelope with a certificate holder and various booklets on being an American citizen.

By this point friends and family had been seated at the back and we were directed to sit in the first five rows. They were very clear that we couldn’t sit anywhere else. A senior IO took to the stage to announce what would be happening – a judge would be preceding over the ceremony, and when she arrived the theatre would become a federal court, and all the doors would be locked. Then we got a short bathroom break before the ceremony got underway.

We were told we had to say the oath out loud unless you’d been given permission (on religious grounds) not to, and the IOs dotted around the theatre would be watching us – if they suspected anyone wasn’t saying it, you’d be asked to stay behind and your certificate may not be issued.

Around 1:30pm the ceremony started, and the judge welcomed us – she was friendly. Some kids in guard uniform from a local school marched out and put up the flag, and we stood to sing the anthem. Then a local attorney gave an emotional speech about what she went through to adopt her daughter from Vietnam (her kid was on stage looking embarrassed) and then another attorney led us through the oath and then the pledge.

Another IO took the stage and called out each of the 39 countries in attendance. When your country was called you had to stand up for a second then sit down. Everyone got a generous round of applause. I was the only person from the UK. Some people had dressed in ballgowns and black tie, one guy from Cambodia wore his national dress, some went down the ripped jeans and t-shirt route, but most were smart-casual.

Now it was the turn of another attorney, who had a guitar and explained he wanted to sign a song about being American that wasn’t about battle, and invited us to join in with John Cougar Mellencamp’s  ‘Ain't That America’. Everyone was clapping along and singing the chorus.

The judge closed proceedings by thanking everyone who’d made the ceremony possible. The senior IO said we would be called row-by-row onto the stage to get our certificates (again had to show the invitation letter) and said we could have our picture taken with the local USCIS director after.

On the way out there were voting registration stations (just one easy to fill out form) and a lot of people (including me) stopped to do that.

We were out by 3pm, so it took nearly 4 hours in total. Much longer than I’d expected. I raced to the local Post Office, stood in line, only to be told passports were by appointment. LOL. I’ll do it Monday.

So my passport and social security update to do, and then I’ll be done.

Yesterday marked the end of my immigration journey – four years in total. Visa Journey was a massively important part of my story, and I’m very grateful for all the support, help and great advice.

Good luck to everyone still on this ride and many thanks. You guys rock. 😊

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

I had my interview yesterday in Fairfax, Virginia and passed!

My Wife and I arrived about 45 minutes early.  She didn't need to be at the interview, but was there to support me.  The clerk at the desk sternly told me to come back thirty minutes before the interview time so we hung out in the waiting room and I handed in my letter to the clerk, I was told to take a seat and someone would call me.

Two people didn't show up when called, they could have been there for any other reason but I was sad for them as this is an expensive process.

Anyway, I figured I'd get called earlier because of the no-shows and I was right.  My name was called about 15 or 20 minutes before my interview time.

I was taken into a small interview room and I had to do the 'do you swear to tell the truth, and nothing but etc'.  I was then asked for my ID, passport and greencard, the interviewer took them and typed something on his computer.

He then took my fingerprints electronically and another photograph.

The only small talk we did was he asked me why I got a greencard, I told him I Married my Wife and moved here.

I was asked my Wife's name and I made sure to add her middle name just in case.

Then we did the English test, he made a point of saying I'd pass this easily as I'm English.  I can't remember what I had to say but for the written test I had to write 'We pay taxes' on an ipad. Hahahahahaha!

Next was the application, he asked me if my parents were American Citizens and then went through the entire 'No' section.  Have you ever been part of a terrorist group / have you ever taken part in genocide' etc.

Then we did the 10 questions, I can't remember which ones but I got the first six right.

The whole interview was under fifteen minutes.

This was in Fairfax, Virginia.  The interviewer asked me if I knew where Harrisonburg was, and I had to tell him I didn't.

He explained that the Oath Ceremony would be in that city and not Fairfax.  It's based on the zipcode where you live.

I was disappointed that the Oath wouldn't be at the same place and day, but it does mean I'll get another day off work, which is nice!

When I find out when that is and go through with it, I'll post about my experience.

CR1 VISA

Jul 23 2010 - MARRIED

Aug 26 2010 - I-130 received by USCIS

Jan 21 2011 - Approved by USCIS

Mar 04 2011 - NVC received

Mar 15 2011 - Medical

Mar 30 2011 - NVC COMPLETED

Apr 14 2011 - Packet 4 received

May 12 2011 - EMBASSY INTERVIEW

May 23 2011 - VISA received

May 26 2011 - Dulles POE

Jun 20 2011 - GREENCARD arrives

Congratulations! Loved reading your write up, I'm sure that'll help people searching for what the N400 interview is like. I'm glad your experience was a good one. 

Looking forward to hearing about the oath ceremony. :) 

28 minutes ago, Geordie said:

I had my interview yesterday in Fairfax, Virginia and passed!

My Wife and I arrived about 45 minutes early.  She didn't need to be at the interview, but was there to support me.  The clerk at the desk sternly told me to come back thirty minutes before the interview time so we hung out in the waiting room and I handed in my letter to the clerk, I was told to take a seat and someone would call me.

Two people didn't show up when called, they could have been there for any other reason but I was sad for them as this is an expensive process.

Anyway, I figured I'd get called earlier because of the no-shows and I was right.  My name was called about 15 or 20 minutes before my interview time.

I was taken into a small interview room and I had to do the 'do you swear to tell the truth, and nothing but etc'.  I was then asked for my ID, passport and greencard, the interviewer took them and typed something on his computer.

He then took my fingerprints electronically and another photograph.

The only small talk we did was he asked me why I got a greencard, I told him I Married my Wife and moved here.

I was asked my Wife's name and I made sure to add her middle name just in case.

Then we did the English test, he made a point of saying I'd pass this easily as I'm English.  I can't remember what I had to say but for the written test I had to write 'We pay taxes' on an ipad. Hahahahahaha!

Next was the application, he asked me if my parents were American Citizens and then went through the entire 'No' section.  Have you ever been part of a terrorist group / have you ever taken part in genocide' etc.

Then we did the 10 questions, I can't remember which ones but I got the first six right.

The whole interview was under fifteen minutes.

This was in Fairfax, Virginia.  The interviewer asked me if I knew where Harrisonburg was, and I had to tell him I didn't.

He explained that the Oath Ceremony would be in that city and not Fairfax.  It's based on the zipcode where you live.

I was disappointed that the Oath wouldn't be at the same place and day, but it does mean I'll get another day off work, which is nice!

When I find out when that is and go through with it, I'll post about my experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

Good luck for Monday @nompish, not long to go now! :)

Outcome

(Moderator Action)

Seven (7) post removed for bickering, inappropriate language, and/or inciting arguments. Please keep the post here civil and respectful. This is not Instabook or Facegram. People come to this site for help and to share their experience during a difficult process. No need for added drama here.

Continuing to post in such matter will result in administrative action.

VJ Moderation 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

It was my oath ceremony yesterday, in Wichita Kansas. Everyone was invited to arrive at 12pm, so we (me and my husband) got there at  11:15pm only to discover it didn’t start until 1:30pm.

I was expecting a lot of people as it was held in a theatre, and there were around 150 immigrants, plus lots of family and friends. The place was packed.

About 12pm, we were organised into lines by the local director of USCIS – 2 lines of immigrants with family and friends quickly separated from us. I stood in line for over an hour before I got to the check-in desk where for the first of numerous times that day, I had to show my appointment letter. That became the document the IO officers wanted to see the most. I also had to hand in my 2-year and 10-year green card.

Then we had to line up again to get into the theatre. There were two guys dressed in colonial outfits who gave us a pamphlet on the American flag and a program for the ceremony. We were led onto the stage and had to show the invitation letter again, and then go to a table to sign our naturalisation certificate which the IO took back straight away. We were also given a large white envelope with a certificate holder and various booklets on being an American citizen.

By this point friends and family had been seated at the back and we were directed to sit in the first five rows. They were very clear that we couldn’t sit anywhere else. A senior IO took to the stage to announce what would be happening – a judge would be preceding over the ceremony, and when she arrived the theatre would become a federal court, and all the doors would be locked. Then we got a short bathroom break before the ceremony got underway.

We were told we had to say the oath out loud unless you’d been given permission (on religious grounds) not to, and the IOs dotted around the theatre would be watching us – if they suspected anyone wasn’t saying it, you’d be asked to stay behind and your certificate may not be issued.

Around 1:30pm the ceremony started, and the judge welcomed us – she was friendly. Some kids in guard uniform from a local school marched out and put up the flag, and we stood to sing the anthem. Then a local attorney gave an emotional speech about what she went through to adopt her daughter from Vietnam (her kid was on stage looking embarrassed) and then another attorney led us through the oath and then the pledge.

Another IO took the stage and called out each of the 39 countries in attendance. When your country was called you had to stand up for a second then sit down. Everyone got a generous round of applause. I was the only person from the UK. Some people had dressed in ballgowns and black tie, one guy from Cambodia wore his national dress, some went down the ripped jeans and t-shirt route, but most were smart-casual.

Now it was the turn of another attorney, who had a guitar and explained he wanted to sign a song about being American that wasn’t about battle, and invited us to join in with John Cougar Mellencamp’s  ‘Ain't That America’. Everyone was clapping along and singing the chorus.

The judge closed proceedings by thanking everyone who’d made the ceremony possible. The senior IO said we would be called row-by-row onto the stage to get our certificates (again had to show the invitation letter) and said we could have our picture taken with the local USCIS director after.

On the way out there were voting registration stations (just one easy to fill out form) and a lot of people (including me) stopped to do that.

We were out by 3pm, so it took nearly 4 hours in total. Much longer than I’d expected. I raced to the local Post Office, stood in line, only to be told passports were by appointment. LOL. I’ll do it Monday.

So my passport and social security update to do, and then I’ll be done.

Yesterday marked the end of my immigration journey – four years in total. Visa Journey was a massively important part of my story, and I’m very grateful for all the support, help and great advice.

Good luck to everyone still on this ride and many thanks. You guys rock. 😊

Yay! Awesome! Congratulations!

Are you going to send in your OG naturalization certificate for passport or a certified copy? If a copy, how are you getting one so quickly? DO they give you a copy at the ceremony?

7 minutes ago, Butterfly83 said:

Yay! Awesome! Congratulations!

Are you going to send in your OG naturalization certificate for passport or a certified copy? If a copy, how are you getting one so quickly? DO they give you a copy at the ceremony?

I plan on applying for a US passport very soon.

But.

I'm not sure yet what order I need to do things.  I'll research that later when I hear about my Oath date.

I believe after I receive the naturalization certificate at the Oath Ceremony, I take that to a local Social security office to get my SSN card changed, and THEN apply for a passport?

I'm not too concerned yet.

My only worry is that I'm vacationing in Florida next month.  If they schedule my Oath that same week, I'm going to be pissed!  I know I can reschedule it.

CR1 VISA

Jul 23 2010 - MARRIED

Aug 26 2010 - I-130 received by USCIS

Jan 21 2011 - Approved by USCIS

Mar 04 2011 - NVC received

Mar 15 2011 - Medical

Mar 30 2011 - NVC COMPLETED

Apr 14 2011 - Packet 4 received

May 12 2011 - EMBASSY INTERVIEW

May 23 2011 - VISA received

May 26 2011 - Dulles POE

Jun 20 2011 - GREENCARD arrives

48 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

(Moderator Action)

Seven (7) post removed for bickering, inappropriate language, and/or inciting arguments. Please keep the post here civil and respectful. This is not Instabook or Facegram. People come to this site for help and to share their experience during a difficult process. No need for added drama here.

Continuing to post in such matter will result in administrative action.

VJ Moderation 

U r a joke  Didn’t delete the start of the problem lol 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.