sebbiesmd

Tourist Visa for In laws

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

I have not posted in here in a long while and our section has also changed since :). We want to apply for my in-laws to come and visit us for the holidays. Does anyone know how long the process takes?  Last time we had a lawyer do the paperwork and the visa was denied. Wondering what we can do to improve their chances. 

We were told we had to fill out form I-134 but I do not see this listed in the guidelines on this thread. 

TIA 

Edited by sebbiesmd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
  • Depending on the consulate, generally having decision/interview arrange for tourist visa is very quick: 2-6 weeks. It took 1 week for my wife's uncle to get his tourist visa Ho Chi Minh City (July of this year).
  • Your in-law must prove on his/her own merits:
    • Financial ability for the trip (money in bank account, investment, etc.)
    • Strong ties to home-country (spouse, children, properties, job, etc.)
  • Tourist Visa is hit and miss, some very rich people can still get rejected/not very rich can still get accepted.  No one knows the outcome until ...try. However, if the situation has not changed significantly from previous denial, expect the some outcome for new application.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why were they denied?

The paperwork is just a Form, not sure how a Lawyer could help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

And no I-134 is necessary. They will not use it in consideration of a tourist visa, per the official DOS website regarding visitors. They are approved or denied on their own merits.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, sebbiesmd said:

Hi everyone, 

I have not posted in here in a long while and our section has also changed since :). We want to apply for my in-laws to come and visit us for the holidays. Does anyone know how long the process takes?  Last time we had a lawyer do the paperwork and the visa was denied. Wondering what we can do to improve their chances. 

We were told we had to fill out form I-134 but I do not see this listed in the guidelines on this thread. 

TIA 

You were told wrong unfortunately.  Better not to listen to lawyers or agents for visit visas. 

Tourist visas require applicant(s) to show ties to their home country, and there is no set way to show that. COs determine the credibility of the applicant by reviewing the ds160 and responses to the in-person interview. No letters or documents are required. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, sebbiesmd said:

Hi everyone, 

TIA 

Not much you can do to improve their chances. The visas are based on your in-law's own merits, not yours. What has changed in their circumstance since they last applied? 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
8 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

You were told wrong unfortunately.  Better not to listen to lawyers or agents for visit visas. 

Tourist visas require applicant(s) to show ties to their home country, and there is no set way to show that. COs determine the credibility of the applicant by reviewing the ds160 and responses to the in-person interview. No letters or documents are required. 

How do we go about doing this? At what stage do we present the documents that show they have strong ties to their country? I looked at the application and at no time does it request a financial recap?

8 minutes ago, sebbiesmd said:

How do we go about doing this? At what stage do we present the documents that show they have strong ties to their country? I looked at the application and at no time does it request a financial recap?

Correct. The Ds-160 section about employment + the question on who is paying for the trip is generally all they need. If they want to see more documents, they will request it at the interview. Usually they do not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 hours ago, sebbiesmd said:

You mean how do your parents do it, correct? They take supporting documents with them to the interview. You don't provide documents for them. And like @geowrian stated, majority of the times those documents aren't looked at. Most of the info the CO investigates is provided online.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
On 9/24/2018 at 2:22 PM, Boiler said:

Why were they denied?

The paperwork is just a Form, not sure how a Lawyer could help.

Not sure she was given a reason why she was denied they just told her she could not get a visa at the time. 

On 9/25/2018 at 3:17 AM, NuestraUnion said:

You mean how do your parents do it, correct? They take supporting documents with them to the interview. You don't provide documents for them. And like @geowrian stated, majority of the times those documents aren't looked at. Most of the info the CO investigates is provided online.

thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Everybody gets told why, usual eason is unable to show non immigrant intrintent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.