Abrha

Beginning stages K-1Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I’m in the beginning stages of petitioning for my fiancé in Ethiopia, completing application but my question is my fiancé wants to update his passport because it’s expired, was told it would take 45 days to complete unless he has a letter from US Embassy regarding the need to get it earlier like 3-4 days? Any helpful advice on this would be appreciated, thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Abrha said:

I’m in the beginning stages of petitioning for my fiancé in Ethiopia, completing application but my question is my fiancé wants to update his passport because it’s expired, was told it would take 45 days to complete unless he has a letter from US Embassy regarding the need to get it earlier like 3-4 days? Any helpful advice on this would be appreciated, thank you!

You won't get any letter from the embassy when you haven't even started the process.

There is plenty of time to get a new passport. Have him just go get one. 

Petition wouldn't reach embassy level for at least 5-6 months so there's plenty of time.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Abrha said:

He does not need his passport so you can file I-129F and I-129F can take several month before its get approved and get sent to NVC for processing so do not worry too much.

Edited by RTLE

As @Ben&Zian just explained. He is a long way from needing his passport. Might as well get it done now.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

As @Ben&Zian just explained. He is a long way from needing his passport. Might as well get it done now.

Thank you all for info..appreciate all the help🙂

Timeline
8 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

13 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

You won't get any letter from the embassy when you haven't even started the process.

Petition wouldn't reach embassy level for at least 5-6 months so there's plenty of time.

Thank you, so when I complete application, send all documents I have like pictures, receipts, airline itinerary for proof? I just got back few weeks ago from visiting him, we plan to marry at the local courthouse here, do I need to send documentation of that? We just plan to have simple wedding due to finances.. will that be fine?

2 minutes ago, Abrha said:

Thank you, so when I complete application, send all documents I have like pictures, receipts, airline itinerary for proof? I just got back few weeks ago from visiting him, we plan to marry at the local courthouse here, do I need to send documentation of that? We just plan to have simple wedding due to finances.. will that be fine?

You mean you will have a local courthouse marriage AFTER he comes on a K1, correct? That is another process called adjustment of status.

You should take some time to learn the process in its entirety. Below are some guides and tips to help you. Luckily you have plenty of time to research.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Abrha said:

Relax, take a deep breath and don't over think things.

The mentioned things like receipts/credit card statements showing any purchases, hotel receipts,  and airline tickets/itenerary, passport stamps from entry/exit of his country. Those are proofs of meeting.

Things like pictures are good and all but are 'secondary' evidence. We only used about 5 pictures total together.

Chat logs and all can be used also for proof of relationship.

This is just for USCIS phase during the I-129f petition phase.

At the embassy you can again supply more recent trip information (if you make another trip there during the process). More/new photos, more up to date text/chat logs to show on going relationship. Also have to supply at this stage the I-134 affidavit of support and documentation.

As was mentioned above, if/when you finally get the approval and all from the embassy for him to be able to get the K-1 visa, once he arrives in the US you marry and then have to do the AOS process. A whole, totally different petition.

As for court house marriages or large, elegant marriages.... marriage is marriage. We did a simple court house wedding with 5 people attending. Makes no difference to USCIS about this really. Some people can't afford a large wedding, some don't want to rush to plan it within the 90 days of arrival on the K-1, and others, like us, just don't like doing elaborate stuff like that. Rather use that kind of money later on to travel, down payment on a house, ect.. 

Again doesn't matter.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

One of my top pieces of advice for any visa journey is to renew the beneficiary's passport at or near the beginning of the process, even if it doesn't expire for a year or two. This advice especially applies to CR1's where there's a name change. Get your name changed, get a new passport, and then file the application. Many less headaches on the journey if you do it in this order. Good luck!

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
20 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

20 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.