midwinterrose

​🇨🇷​Pura Vida​🇨🇷​ Costa Rica Filers

240 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, argylejegirl said:

Is it necessary to get documents apostilled? 

Honestly, just the marriage certificate and the birth certificates...oh and the international police certificate. It's simply authenticated as a valid document on an international level. I'm not sure it is required, but it is safe to do so. I also work case management with immigrants and often authentication of documents from other countries are necessary.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
On 8/27/2018 at 2:19 PM, Eleanor & Jack said:

Yeah like fair enough if you were in some dodgy Facebook groups or whatever, but I really doubt not having a relationship status on or a profile pic of the two of you would make any difference

On 8/27/2018 at 6:15 PM, <3T&M<3 said:

Uhhhhhhh, I didn't ask the question. 🤔😳

you took a paragraph to pretty much disagree, yet agree with me 😝

Its all good :)

People be moody!

1 minute ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

Honestly, just the marriage certificate and the birth certificates...oh and the international police certificate. It's simply authenticated as a valid document on an international level. I'm not sure it is required, but it is safe to do so. I also work case management with immigrants and often authentication of documents from other countries are necessary.

Hey there! Per the Embassy, if the documents are issued in Costa Rica by the Registro Civil o OIJ, the apostille is not necessary. However, it could never hurt to have it, because maybe somewhere later during another process, if needed, you'd have it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
1 hour ago, jay9475 said:

Hey there! Per the Embassy, if the documents are issued in Costa Rica by the Registro Civil o OIJ, the apostille is not necessary. However, it could never hurt to have it, because maybe somewhere later during another process, if needed, you'd have it. 

Yes, as far as I understand the apostille isn't necessary for the K1 process but I know we will need to send his birth certificate during AOS, and who knows what he might need the others for--like maybe the police certificate to get a job or something. The apostille is basically extra legitimization for international use.  It only cost 1,000 colones per document so it's well worth it.  He won't be able to return to CR to deal with anything regarding documents until after AOS is submitted and AP approved, so it's better to be over prepared imo.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
2 minutes ago, radharose said:

Yes, as far as I understand the apostille isn't necessary for the K1 process but I know we will need to send his birth certificate during AOS, and who knows what he might need the others for--like maybe the police certificate to get a job or something. The apostille is basically extra legitimization for international use.  It only cost 1,000 colones per document so it's well worth it.  He won't be able to return to CR to deal with anything regarding documents until after AOS is submitted and AP approved, so it's better to be over prepared imo.

Wow, that's pretty cheap! Yep, then may as well get them done, just in case :)

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

Great! Do you know how long it takes to get them apostilled? Would they be ready the following week? 

Thank you for all this information! :) 

4 minutes ago, argylejegirl said:

Great! Do you know how long it takes to get them apostilled? Would they be ready the following week? 

Thank you for all this information! :) 

Yeah, my husband goes a week later. They will tell you when it can be ready, sometimes it's just a few days; but mostly about a week.

Hola!

Currently at NOA1 for the CR1 process.

Regarding documents though, do they need to be apostilled if they come from an English speaking country?  I am a resident here but not a citizen so my documents are from my country and already in English. Since my primary residence is in CR I am doing the process here.

Timeline
22 hours ago, jojotica said:

Hola!

Currently at NOA1 for the CR1 process.

Regarding documents though, do they need to be apostilled if they come from an English speaking country?  I am a resident here but not a citizen so my documents are from my country and already in English. Since my primary residence is in CR I am doing the process here.

Are you the USC or the beneficiary?  Which country are you from?  The apostille doesn't really have anything to do with the language of the documents, it's essentially a seal from the appropriate governmental institution in your country certifying that your documents are indeed legitimate.  So if you were to have your documents apostilled, you would do so through the embassy for your country.  From what I can tell, USCIS doesn't seem to care much about whether something is apostilled or not, but that may also depend on which country you're from--high fraud countries may be scrutinized more closely.

Edited by radharose

Spoiler

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Spoiler

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Spoiler

Spoiler

event.png

Timeline

Where did you all get your civil documents translated into English? I would do them for my fiance, but it's a lot of official language and it worries me, that the translation should be more official. Do you all know a translator who could translate the documents quickly, or somewhere that translates official documents? 

I appreciate it so much! 

EDIT: We just saw that the same government building that does the apostille can do the translation. :) 

Edited by argylejegirl

4 hours ago, argylejegirl said:

Where did you all get your civil documents translated into English? I would do them for my fiance, but it's a lot of official language and it worries me, that the translation should be more official. Do you all know a translator who could translate the documents quickly, or somewhere that translates official documents? 

I appreciate it so much! 

EDIT: We just saw that the same government building that does the apostille can do the translation. :) 

This is where we are going. I just emailed her tonight and she said 11,000 colones per document.

Translation Service.jpg

Timeline
12 hours ago, Cari & Andy UB said:

This is where we are going. I just emailed her tonight and she said 11,000 colones per document.

Thank you! :) 

17 hours ago, argylejegirl said:

I appreciate it so much! 

Translated all our documents ourselves.  No need to pay for translation services.

K-1 Timeline

See timeline here.

AOS Timeline

1/29/16 - Sent packet

2/12/16 - NOA-1 received

3/11/16 - Biometrics appointment at Las Vegas office

4/18/16 - Approval

4/23/16 - Conditional green cards arrive

ROC Timeline

1/13/18 - Sent packet

1/22/18 - NOA-1 received dated 1/18/18

Timeline
On 9/19/2018 at 1:11 PM, templinc said:

Translated all our documents ourselves.  No need to pay for translation services.

Have you needed translated documents for any of the immigration processes so far?  Have you needed them for anything else, like getting a job, and did they accept your self-translation if you did?  Thanks for the info!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

event.png

14 hours ago, radharose said:

Have you needed translated documents for any of the immigration processes so far?  Have you needed them for anything else, like getting a job, and did they accept your self-translation if you did?  Thanks for the info!

Yes, we used translated documents all throughout the immigration process without issue, including, birth certificates and a 7 page divorce decree.  I don't think we've needed them for her job. 

All we did was include a document stating:

(Name of person listed in document being translated)

(Name of document) Translation

I (Translator's Name), certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and Spanish languages, and that the attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached titled "(insert type of document translated)" for (person document belongs to).              

Signature

(Printed Name of Translator)

Date

Address of Translator

If you search these forums for "Document Translation" there is a ton of information.  Unfortunately, there is a ton of conflicting information like, neither petitioner nor beneficiary are allowed to translate documents pertaining to their case or they have to be done by a certified translator.  Here is the exact wording on the USCIS website saying:

All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

My wife and I are fluent in both Spanish and English and all I can tell you is we translated ALL of our own documents, signed the translation certificates in our own names and had ZERO issues or RFEs.

K-1 Timeline

See timeline here.

AOS Timeline

1/29/16 - Sent packet

2/12/16 - NOA-1 received

3/11/16 - Biometrics appointment at Las Vegas office

4/18/16 - Approval

4/23/16 - Conditional green cards arrive

ROC Timeline

1/13/18 - Sent packet

1/22/18 - NOA-1 received dated 1/18/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.