Monte

Getting Police Certificate in Thailand

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

So, I would like to share my experience with getting my fiancee's certificate from the police.

We arrived at 8:05 am, and waited outside, but this one lady, who had the first desk named Information waved us in. I gave her the paperwork, and used the NOA 2. She first had an issue with it, but not because it is NOA2 but she was not able to locate the beneficiary name on the document. Once we pointed it out, it was accepted in lieu of the Packet 3 letter.

We then had to sit down on a table next to the information desk and fill out two pieces of paper, one was a cover letter and one was for the fingerprints. There were two guys in white shirts not answering questions but trying to hurry my financee's writing. They kept pointing to samples, but at times they were a little confusing. 

Two other applicants showed up, so we had to wait for the other two to catch up, because the man in the white shirts preferred to process us in batches. First the finger prints, followed by the photos.

After that the info lady moved us on to another lady, who I think I was the investigator. She went over the paperwork, but also had the same issue with the NOA2. She then moved us over to another desk where we paid the processing fee of 100 baht. Then we were asked to moved to another desk, and at that desk a man collected 50 baht for the mailing fee. 

This whole process took us 40 minutes.

Now comes the interesting part. When we left the clearance center and turned the corner, one of the man in the white shirt was waiting for us. He pointed out that the stamp on when the certificate is due for delivery is 26 October. And the day of our visit was 12 September, so basically 6 weeks. He asked if we wanted to expedite the certificate. I said sure, but then instead of going back inside we followed him down the road and went inside the Police cafeteria, where he pulled out a blank cover sheet and asked my fiancee to fill out...again. Why fill out again, and his reply was along the lines I do not trust him. 

By that time I had a very bad feeling, so I said no and we left. I then returned to the actual office and asked the lady at the info desk if we could expedite the document. The man in the white shirt followed us looking shaken, and told her to get rid of us. She pointed us instead to a heavy set man, who had the aura of being the boss there. He told me, sure we can expedite. He asked for 1600 baht, and a photo. He then was handed our original application, where he crossed out the 26 October date and wrote in 17 September, 5 days from now.

Meanwhile the man in white shirt was in panic mode. I suspect he was afraid we going to blow the whistle on his operation. He had that deer in the headlight look. I did notice he works with a lady in the right far back handing her papers. It looked to me they are running a scam on each other there?

I am not a fan of bribes, but packet 3 says 3 weeks and 100 baht. The due date was 6 weeks, and the man in the white shirt gave me zero confidence of being able to deliver. But when I pay a "tip" I sure want it to go the right guy who has the authority to deliver;p

Edited by Monte

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wow! I had heard about all this kind of stuff, which is why I just went ahead and paid my lawyer who has a "contact" down at police headquarters in Bangkok 5000 baht.. no receipt mind you, had the police certificate in hand in 4 days. Pretty shady but good job on following your gut!

Edited by AndrewAlp

Timeline
On 9/14/2018 at 6:03 AM, Monte said:

She pointed us instead to a heavy set man, who had the aura of being the boss there. He told me, sure we can expedite. He asked for 1600 baht, and a photo. He then was handed our original application, where he crossed out the 26 October date and wrote in 17 September, 5 days from now.

I think we encountered the "heavy set man" on our visit as well.  But we were approached by him in the very beginning of our visit.  When he offered the "expedited" service, I refused and he replied that the wait would be 6 months for standard processing.   I replied that the US Embassy states delivery time is 3 weeks (as you noted) and that there is no "expedited" services available.  Of course the expedited service is likely a form of unoffical Tea Money.   The actual standard processing time was 6 weeks (upon our exit from the office we where given a receipt of payment and a completion date of 6 weeks out)   

But I think you handled the situation correctly.   And if the "expedited" service is of benefit to you, then that is to your advantage!

Good luck in the final stages of completing your K1 application!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thank you for sharing that. It looks like my fiance' will be running that gauntlet alone so it is extremely helpful for me to be able to tell her what to expect.

I have a quick question: Is the "House Certificate" that is required for this something that can be gotten in Bangkok (where she has lived for the last decade), or does she need to go back to her hometown to get the certificate from the Amphur there?

Timeline
5 hours ago, x3n said:

I have a quick question: Is the "House Certificate" that is required for this something that can be gotten in Bangkok (where she has lived for the last decade), or does she need to go back to her hometown to get the certificate from the Amphur there?

@Bunyaka, do you have any advice for how to obtain a copy of a Thai "House Registration Book"?

@x3n, my understanding is if she is currently included as part of an existing House Registration Book, she will need to obtain that book to present to the Police.   If she is not included (i.e. listed/entered) in an existing book, technically she will need to be added to the book for the address she currently resides.

Edited by JoelThai

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/29/2018 at 2:18 AM, JoelThai said:

@Bunyaka, do you have any advice for how to obtain a copy of a Thai "House Registration Book"?

@x3n, my understanding is if she is currently included as part of an existing House Registration Book, she will need to obtain that book to present to the Police.   If she is not included (i.e. listed/entered) in an existing book, technically she will need to be added to the book for the address she currently resides.

Omg! Sorry for the very late reply. I think the problem is already resolved but your understanding is right. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My fiance finally got down to the Police HQ but was not able to complete the process because she did not have her "Single Certificate".

The instructions for what is needed ( https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/591452/iv/082013_thaipolicecert.pdf  ) says you need a "Marriage certificate or divorce certificate (if available)". This sounds like you only need something if she has been married before, or that it is somehow optional. I'm posting this to let people know that documentation is needed for the Police Certificate to prove she is single even if she has never been married  - and this document is mandatory (no "if available" about it).  I'm not sure how this relates to potential past criminal activity, but whatever 😕

I knew the "single certificate" was needed as part of the Packet 3 stuff in general but the plan was to get the Police Certificate processing and then make the trip to the hometown Amphur for the single certificate & birth certificate. Now we know that this journey needs to be done first.

Also, she says the police need to see my "Tax Certificate". Can anybody tell me what they mean by this? Do they mean a copy of my tax returns (never mind what that has to do with HER criminal background check)? 

Timeline
19 hours ago, x3n said:

Also, she says the police need to see my "Tax Certificate". Can anybody tell me what they mean by this? Do they mean a copy of my tax returns (never mind what that has to do with HER criminal background check)? 

Never heard of this requirement, and if they are looking for my tax returns, they will be SOL.   There is no legal requirement for that.  Probably looking for the "tip" .   Have her print out the requirements page, and take that with all the REQUIRED docs.   If probs, talk to the big boss.

I'm not even 100% sure that they mean my tax return. Maybe they are looking for proof that some fee or other has been paid (if they consider the fee a "tax" and the receipt a "certificate")?  There's nothing like that on the list, so I'm hoping someone else has successfully made it through this hoop and can provide a clue as to what the police are talking about...

Is there a Thai version of the Police Certificate requirements page? I don't think that sending an English list down there is going to accomplish anything - and she already knows to pay 1500 or 1600B for the "express service".

Edited by x3n

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up, the second visit to the Police HQ was successful, so apparently it was a copy of my Tax Return they were looking for (I assume to sell the SSN or some such). 

My fiance' says it went smoothly since she now had all the required docs  (after a trip back to Kahn Kaen for the Single Certificate).

She paid the 1600B bribe and was told she'd get the Police Certificate in 3 weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the update.  Too bad about having to pay a bribe!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The "express fee" doesn't really bother me since I wouldn't have thought twice if there were just an official $55 fee for processing the certificate - and that's far less than all of the other fees associated with this process.

Now the tax form requirement is a little worrisome. If I were there in person I would have pressed the issue, but I'm not going to put my fiance in that position when she is there alone.

Timeline

My GF just went to pay for her certificate Wednesday, apparently they have changed the delivery time from one month to a standard 15 days. This change occurred on Monday the  12th, Nov, 2018. She said anyone before has to wait 30 days. The fee is 100 baht for the certificate and 50 baht for postage.

Edited by John951

Timeline
10 hours ago, John951 said:

My GF just went to pay for her certificate Wednesday, apparently they have changed the delivery time from one month to a standard 15 days. This change occurred on Monday the  12th, Nov, 2018. She said anyone before has to wait 30 days. The fee is 100 baht for the certificate and 50 baht for postage.

That is awesome.   My fiancée had to wait 6 weeks a few months ago.   Let's hope it stays this way.  🙂

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, John951 said:

I can confirm this as well. My fiance went to request her certificate today (12 Dec) and was told it would be ready on 3 Jan. I'm guessing with the upcoming holidays that translates to about 15 days. Definitely quicker than the 6 weeks people were being told before.

Also, can confirm it was 100 baht for the report (fiance lives in Bangkok and will pickup in person, so did not pay the additional 50 baht to have it mailed)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.