Tristan1978

IR1 Interview finally booked!!

20 posts in this topic

So after nearly two years of waiting, I finally booked my interview this morning with the London Embassy for 11th October. :D

I know people say not to book a flight until you have the passport in hand, however I was looking to book a flexible ticket that can be changed up to 30 minutes before departure and is refundable... I was looking to book the flight for Sunday 21st October so 10 calendar days after my interview... Do you think this will be enough time?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good that you got a refundable ticket.   Best of luck at the interview.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

2 minutes ago, Going through said:

Good that you got a refundable ticket.   Best of luck at the interview.

Thank you... I haven't booked the ticket but was wondering if 10 calendar days after my interview would be enough time to get my passport back?

3 minutes ago, Tristan1978 said:

Thank you... I haven't booked the ticket but was wondering if 10 calendar days after my interview would be enough time to get my passport back?

It was for me in December 2016 (also London) - I got mine back 7 days after interview. You might want to check some recent timelines to see how quickly more recent interviewees got theirs back.  

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

2 hours ago, Tristan1978 said:

So after nearly two years of waiting, I finally booked my interview this morning with the London Embassy for 11th October. :D

I know people say not to book a flight until you have the passport in hand, however I was looking to book a flexible ticket that can be changed up to 30 minutes before departure and is refundable... I was looking to book the flight for Sunday 21st October so 10 calendar days after my interview... Do you think this will be enough time?

Refundable tickets cost more, sometimes $700+ more per person. Don’t forget, sometimes refundable means only if you’re sick or emergency situation. Read the refund policy multiple times if you plan on buying refundable tickets.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Jose said:

Refundable tickets cost more, sometimes $700+ more per person. Don’t forget, sometimes refundable means only if you’re sick or emergency situation. Read the refund policy multiple times if you plan on buying refundable tickets.

Thanks Jose, I have booked and the terms are below so it's all good:

Changing Flex or PremiumFlex

• Changes to date, time, destination and name allowed up to 30 minutes before scheduled departure. Changes can only be made to another flight where there is availablity within the same ticket type.
  • Changes are free of charge, price difference must be paid if changing the destination or from a direct to a connecting flight.
  • Destinations can only be changed from domestic to domestic (within same country) or international to international.
  • Certain tickets cannot be changed online  you'll need to call our Contact Centre to make changes.

Cancelling Flex or PremiumFlex

• Fully refundable and can be cancelled online.
  • All flights are charged at the time of booking.

I don't know what to do as I called NVC and they said it's not possible. 

So I said someone I was talking to has just done it and they said that's not possible, you have to wait for the interview to be scheduled. 

Even though you have just done it. 

So I'm confused. 

28 minutes ago, Tristan1978 said:

Thanks Jose, I have booked and the terms are below so it's all good:

Changing Flex or PremiumFlex

• Changes to date, time, destination and name allowed up to 30 minutes before scheduled departure. Changes can only be made to another flight where there is availablity within the same ticket type.
  • Changes are free of charge, price difference must be paid if changing the destination or from a direct to a connecting flight.
  • Destinations can only be changed from domestic to domestic (within same country) or international to international.
  • Certain tickets cannot be changed online  you'll need to call our Contact Centre to make changes.

Cancelling Flex or PremiumFlex

• Fully refundable and can be cancelled online.
  • All flights are charged at the time of booking.

Norwegian? I immigrated here with them too. Good luck with the interview and safe journey here. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, JFH said:

Norwegian? I immigrated here with them too. Good luck with the interview and safe journey here. 

Yeah Norwegian, my wife has flown with them the last three times to the UK... I got the PremiumFlex so I get two 20kg bags, ability to change the flight and extra leg room! 

Hopefully I won't have to change anything.... Fingers crossed. 

23 minutes ago, Tristan1978 said:

Yeah Norwegian, my wife has flown with them the last three times to the UK... I got the PremiumFlex so I get two 20kg bags, ability to change the flight and extra leg room! 

Hopefully I won't have to change anything.... Fingers crossed. 

I have flown with Norwegian many times as they are really good prices. They are pretty good. Obviously not as good as some of the more expensive airlines. But they do the job, they are friendly and efficient. 

I am looking to fly to LA with them also when i go. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Also going with Norwegian! :) 

They typically advise you'll get your passport back after 2 weeks, so it's really up to you.

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

3 minutes ago, LeesaMarie said:

Also going with Norwegian! :) 

They typically advise you'll get your passport back after 2 weeks, so it's really up to you.

I have spoken to a few people on here and they said that the only thing would hold me up is the medical results, but there will be nearly 5 weeks from medical to interview so I will be OK on that... Besides I bought a flexible ticket. 

Norwegian seem like the best option :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Tristan1978 said:

I have spoken to a few people on here and they said that the only thing would hold me up is the medical results, but there will be nearly 5 weeks from medical to interview so I will be OK on that... Besides I bought a flexible ticket. 

Norwegian seem like the best option :D

am tempted to upgrade right now but not too sure!

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Just now, LeesaMarie said:

am tempted to upgrade right now but not too sure!

I got a seat in the front row!... Plus I'm over 6ft so the extra leg room is a must for me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.