DD1

N- 400 Marriage based (3 Years)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife is filing N400 marriage based (3 years). Conditions already removed.

- Does anyone has the checklist for this.

- Do we still need to provide substantial evidence (like 751) for the continuous marriage?

- If we file online then do we need ELIS number. We dont know our ELIS number. We do have the account to check the case status but it does not have ELIS number.

- Which one is better Online filing or Paper

Here's the official checklist. https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/attachments.pdf 

I'm under the school of thought that holds that you provide as little documents and possible. You provide only what's asked and what's relevant to you. Nothing more. When you provide more than necessary, you set precedence for others to have to do the same. While it might have been easy for you to provide some arcane bit of document, it might not be so easy for everyone else to obtain the same thing. So keep that in mind. Legend says someone once provided DVD of their sexual activity with their spouse as some sort of evidence. I'm glad that didn't became a norm. 

You should provide everything from the checklist above and only relevant things. Keep your packs concise and precise and accurate. I also believe you should always file online if you have the chance. When you file through paper, someone has to retype your answers into a system. That takes up time and adds another place where error can happen. Even if they use an optical character reading scanner, errors can take place. 

I provide these information as entertainment purpose only. I'm not any sort of a legal/immigration official. Use your brain. Don't listen to one source of info or follow one poster's recommendation. And if you are not confident, you can always hire an immigration lawyer and pay thousands of dollars. 

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with @IndigoSkies, my wife only provided the bare minimum required by the N400 instructions and had no issues.

One note, the checklist above is  bit dated, the instructions for the latest N400 form contains the latest set of required evidence (pages 10-11).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 7/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, DD1 said:

- Do we still need to provide substantial evidence (like 751) for the continuous marriage?

- If we file online then do we need ELIS number. We dont know our ELIS number. We do have the account to check the case status but it does not have ELIS number.

Far better if you file online. If you do not know your ELIS number there is a section  where you can say you do not know it.

As you answer each question, you will skip certain sections of they do not apply to you or new questions will appear if additional information is required.

It takes a lot of the guesswork out. Also, you are not required to submit it right away. You just need to keep it active until you are ready to send it. You can sign out of it any time and when you sign back in, either revisit your responses or add more documents as they become available. Otherwise, if you go past 30 days without signing back into the application, you have to start over.

After you have completed your application/answered all the questions you will have a collapsible checklist with different categories that will tell you what kind of supporting documents you need to submit under each and what file formats are ok to send and the maximum file size.

Once you are ready to submit, after you have indicated everything is correct and complete, you will be taken to a payment page and you can pay online there.

You will find there is far less scrutiny when applying based on 5 year rule vs. 3 year rule.

Edited by marriedtomrg
Added info

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Timeline
11 hours ago, marriedtomrg said:

Far better if you file online. If you do not know your ELIS number there is a section  where you can say you do not know it.

As you answer each question, you will skip certain sections of they do not apply to you or new questions will appear if additional information is required.

It takes a lot of the guesswork out. Also, you are not required to submit it right away. You just need to keep it active until you are ready to send it. You can sign out of it any time and when you sign back in, either revisit your responses or add more documents as they become available. Otherwise, if you go past 30 days without signing back into the application, you have to start over.

After you have completed your application/answered all the questions you will have a collapsible checklist with different categories that will tell you what kind of supporting documents you need to submit under each and what file formats are ok to send and the maximum file size.

Once you are ready to submit, after you have indicated everything is correct and complete, you will be taken to a payment page and you can pay online there.

You will find there is far less scrutiny when applying based on 5 year rule vs. 3 year rule.

- Can we scan and upload Naturalization Certificate of Spouse in online system. Asking this because, I heard that we can not make copy of it.

-  How do we sign the N400 form? Or We dont need to sign?

- Do they allow to print after we submit? To keep copy with us and know what we had filled? 

- We have the account to check the USCIS case status. I dont see option for N400 filing in that. Do we need to create separate USCIS account for filing N400?

2 hours ago, DD1 said:

- Can we scan and upload Naturalization Certificate of Spouse in online system. Asking this because, I heard that we can not make copy of it.

Yes you may scan it.

2 hours ago, DD1 said:

-  How do we sign the N400 form? Or We dont need to sign?

They will ask the applicant to enter their full name and the date when you are ready to submit. This is considered an electronic signature.

2 hours ago, DD1 said:

- Do they allow to print after we submit? To keep copy with us and know what we had filled? 

Yes, you can download a snapshot of your application after you submit. It will be in PDF format.

2 hours ago, DD1 said:

- We have the account to check the USCIS case status. I dont see option for N400 filing in that. Do we need to create separate USCIS account for filing N400?

The application you fill out for the N400 form is your account. That is what you will use to sign into and check the status of your account.  In the settings you can sign up for email and/or text notifications.

Applications for N400 are created in this site: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Scroll down till you see Create Account.

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

On 7/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, DD1 said:

For me applying online is very convenient and faster. I applied under 3 year rule. Your wife needs to make an account to file online. When she fill up the application on line she can see what requirements need to attached like Green Card, marriage contract, US Citizen spouse's birth certificate, 3 years tax transcript from IRS, if your wife has children needs to attached their birth certificate too, joint account bank statement and so on. She doesn't need to finish it in one sitting, the system will save it and can continue it again. She can review it, edit it, and will save her application for one month. After that she needs to submit it if not she will start all over again. She can pay the fee also online using credit card. It does not require ELIS no.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:00 PM, EireneFaith said:

For me applying online is very convenient and faster. I applied under 3 year rule. Your wife needs to make an account to file online. When she fill up the application on line she can see what requirements need to attached like Green Card, marriage contract, US Citizen spouse's birth certificate, 3 years tax transcript from IRS, if your wife has children needs to attached their birth certificate too, joint account bank statement and so on. She doesn't need to finish it in one sitting, the system will save it and can continue it again. She can review it, edit it, and will save her application for one month. After that she needs to submit it if not she will start all over again. She can pay the fee also online using credit card. It does not require ELIS no.

The online filing site will not delete your application after one month, as long as you are entering information and saving it.  Each time you enter and save the information, the system extends the one month time period.  I worked on my wife's application over several months without having to start over. 

Edited by Mountain Climber

The application needs to be submitted after 1 month otherwise it will be deleted. That is what you can see in the application. There is also the date when you started and the date that it will save your application for a month.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, EireneFaith said:

Aren't the front and back of the Green Card, marriage certificate, and copy of USC spouse' passport the only required items? Do all those (bolded above) need to be submitted online at n400 submission? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, WeGuyGal said:

Aren't the front and back of the Green Card, marriage certificate, and copy of USC spouse' passport the only required items? Do all those (bolded above) need to be submitted online at n400 submission? 

As you go on the application you will see which documents needed to be attached. There are also supporting documents that you can be submitted in reference to the applicant being married to USC. Your US passport can be attached in lieu of birth certificate to prove that the applicant is married to US Citizen. Your wife is applying under 3 year rule so she needs to submit documents that supports that 3 year rule. I applied online last June 29, 2018 and my interview/civic test  schedule is on September 6 2018.

16 minutes ago, EireneFaith said:

As you go on the application you will see which documents needed to be attached. There are also supporting documents that you can be submitted in reference to the applicant being married to USC. The spouse US passport can be attached in lieu of birth certificate to prove that the applicant is married to US Citizen. If  applying under 3 year rule so she needs to submit documents that supports that 3 year rule. I applied online last June 29, 2018 and my interview/civic test  schedule is on September 6 2018.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.