JMK_IT

AOS packet - Is it necessary to inform USCIS about dual citizenship?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello all, 

I have a question regarding dual citizenship:

I was born in Italy from a Canadian-born mother, and when I was very young she filed for my Canadian citizenship. 

Since then I've always had both the Canadian and the Italian passport. The Canadian one has always been what I used for any travel outside the European Union, including all my past U.S. entries as a Visitor. 

Having always been an Italian resident, I filed for the K-1 Visa as an Italian applicant. 

Now I am submitting my AOS application and I would like to inform USCIS about my dual citizenship, just for transparency purposes. My I-94 travel history shows all the past entries that I did and I used my Canadian passport for all of them (except for the last one, of course, because my K-1 is on my Italian passport). I want to minimize any risk of confusion that may cause delays in the application, so I included a letter explaining my situation and I enclosed a copy of the Commemoration of my Canadian citizenship that I obtained when I was a child, plus a copy of my passport and a copy of all the pages with the past B2 stamps. 

Is this the right way to do it? In the letter I explained that the documents regarding my Canadian citizenship are unrelated to my AOS application and I am enclosing them in a separate folder just for their knowledge. 

I'm just wondering if it's necessary at all for me to make this communication.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice?

Thank you

Edited by ababsurd

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

4 minutes ago, ababsurd said:

Hello all, 

I was born in Italy from a Canadian-born mother, and when I was very young she filed for my Canadian citizenship. 

Since then I've always had both the Canadian and the Italian passport. The Canadian one has always been what I used for any travel outside the European Union, including all my past U.S. entries as a Visitor. 

Having always been an Italian resident, I filed for the K-1 Visa as an Italian applicant. 

Now I am submitting my AOS application and I would like to inform USCIS about my dual citizenship, just for transparency purposes. My I-94 travel history shows all the past entries that I did and I used my Canadian passport for all of them (except for the last one, of course, because my K-1 is on my Italian passport). I want to minimize any risk of confusion that may cause delays in the application, so I included a letter explaining my situation and I enclosed a copy of the Commemoration of my Canadian citizenship that I obtained when I was a child, plus a copy of my passport and a copy of all the pages with the past B2 stamps. 

Is this the right way to do it? In the letter I explained that the documents regarding my Canadian citizenship are unrelated to my AOS application and I am enclosing them in a separate folder just for their knowledge. 

I'm just wondering if it's necessary for me at all to make this communication.

Thank you

The DS 160 required you to declare all nationalities.. Personal Information 2, page 5. 

Did you do this ? If yes, then they already know you have dual nationalities.. if no.... why not ? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Having dual citizenship doesn’t affect anything. And yes you need to declare everything if asked. When you fill out the forms for the visa it asks if you have dual citizenship so you must have already declared it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 7/26/2018 at 9:19 PM, ababsurd said:

Hello all, 

I'm just wondering if it's necessary at all for me to make this communication.

Thank you

On the I129F and now for the I485 where it asked "Country of Citizenship or Nationality" I wrote my two citizenships and in parentheses I put dual citizen. As @Dee elle mentioned it, you should have disclosed that least on the DS-160.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
16 hours ago, ineedadisplayname said:

On the I129F and now for the I485 where it asked "Country of Citizenship or Nationality" I wrote my two citizenships and in parentheses I put dual citizen. As @Dee elle mentioned it, you should have disclosed that least on the DS-160.

Yes, of course I reported my dual citizenship on Form DS-160, along with the passport number. 

I guess that will be enough. I did not report my dual citizenship on Form I-485 because I have only entered the information relevant to the application.

Thank you all for your replies!

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.