JMK_IT

I only have one MMR shot - do I need to do the medical again?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello, 

I was reviewing my AOS packet and while giving a second read to the I-693 instructions something caught my attention.

I did my medical in March 2018 and I received a completed Form DS-3025 to include in the application. 

My vaccinations record show that I only have one MMR shot, which I received one year after my birth. 
I never received other MMR shots. 
On the day of the medical back in Italy, the Panel Physician determined that I did not need a second one.

However, the blanket waiver section on DS-3025 was left blank. 

I read experiences from other applicants getting an RFE for missing vaccinations  - would that be my case as well? 

I also have with me the results of immunoglobulin blood tests for measles, mumps, and rubella that I took in Italy during my yearly checkup. They show that my immunity levels are high, but I now understand that any test or result from foreign countries will not be valid. 

What are my next steps? Do I really have to contact a civil surgeon and have the medical exam again? 
Is it possible to visit a civil surgeon only to have a second shot and avoid to do the same medical ($$$) test I did 3 months ago? 

Thanks

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Timeline
47 minutes ago, LizM said:

Did he or she say you need to take it while in the US? Or the reason as to why you did not need it?

I don't understand why they would mark the whole thing complete when the MMR section is clearly not... And it is one of the very few actual requirements, too.

No, he didn't say anything. He just looked at my Italian vaccination records and said that I had everything I needed. 
Isn't the Overseas medical examination supposed to certify that an Applicant meets all the requirements?

I had no clue the required MMR shots were 2 and not just 1. Or at least, it seems to be what everyone agrees on. I haven't found any official statement about it, and the info on https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html doesn't clarify it either.

Thankfully I just realized it so I have time to make adjustments now.
I was double checking my DS3025 and noticed I have only one MMR shot listed but no blanket waiver.
I have a blanket waiver for every other vaccination I'm not required to have. 

I am uncertain on what to do next, because according to the Panel Physician I am good, but am I good for USCIS?

People do get the RFE for the missing MMR shot. 

So confusing.

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

I found this on CDCs website. Maybe you can get in touch with a civil surgeon over here and ask before you schedule anything? Or ask your clinic back in Italy. Possibly the one shot is accepted because you have shown immunity through blood testing but I would think that needed to be noted somewhere in your DS-3025 if that was the case.

Who Does Not Need MMR Vaccine?

You do not need measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine if you meet any of these criteria for evidence of immunity:

• You have written documentation of adequate vaccination:
    • at least one dose of a measles-, mumps-, and rubella-containing vaccine administered on or after the first birthday for preschool-age children and adults not at high risk for exposure and transmission
    • two doses of measles- and mumps-containing vaccine for school-age children and adults at high risk for exposure and transmission, including college students, healthcare personnel, and international travelers
  • You had blood tests that show you are immune to measles, mumps, and rubella.
  • You have laboratory confirmation of past measles, mumps, or rubella infection.
  • You were born before 1957.*

h

Timeline
31 minutes ago, LizM said:

I found this on CDCs website. Maybe you can get in touch with a civil surgeon over here and ask before you schedule anything? Or ask your clinic back in Italy. Possibly the one shot is accepted because you have shown immunity through blood testing but I would think that needed to be noted somewhere in your DS-3025 if that was the case.

Who Does Not Need MMR Vaccine?

You do not need measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine if you meet any of these criteria for evidence of immunity:

• You have written documentation of adequate vaccination:
    • at least one dose of a measles-, mumps-, and rubella-containing vaccine administered on or after the first birthday for preschool-age children and adults not at high risk for exposure and transmission
    • two doses of measles- and mumps-containing vaccine for school-age children and adults at high risk for exposure and transmission, including college students, healthcare personnel, and international travelers
  • You had blood tests that show you are immune to measles, mumps, and rubella.
  • You have laboratory confirmation of past measles, mumps, or rubella infection.
  • You were born before 1957.*

Thank you for your help, it means a lot. 

Unfortunately the blood test results that I have are not accepted because they were performed in Eu and not in the U.S. 
I would have to do them again, but at this point I might as well just get the extra shot and have a Civil Surgeon file part of the form for me. 

The instructions of Form I-693 specify that:

3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

A. K-1 fiancé(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fiancé(e); or

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen; and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:

(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination; and (a) The panel physician did not find a class A medical condition during your overseas examination; or (b) The panel physician did find a class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility, and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver.

(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9. of Form I-693.

I called more than 10 Civil Surgeons listed on the USCIS website and none of them is willing to give me a shot without giving me the full medical again. Fees range from 200 to 350 and I'm not willing to have any of that. I really just need the shot and a doctor who can report it as specified on (C)(2)

Now I've just spoken to a Civil Surgeon who asked me to mail him my form DS-3025. He will let me know if he can just give me the shot and file Form I-693 for me. 

Fingers crossed. 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Timeline

Also, the CDC website states that

17 minutes ago, ababsurd said:

17 minutes ago, ababsurd said:

at least one dose of a measles-, mumps-, and rubella-containing vaccine administered on or after the first birthday for preschool-age children and adults not at high risk for exposure and transmission

Technically this means that I am covered, but if so, why do I read about so many people getting RFE(s) for the second missing MMR shot? 
And why is my Blanket Waiver absent? It's extremely conflicting information.

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

56 minutes ago, ababsurd said:

Also, the CDC website states that

Technically this means that I am covered, but if so, why do I read about so many people getting RFE(s) for the second missing MMR shot? 
And why is my Blanket Waiver absent? It's extremely conflicting information.

Yes I thought so too, but read the point after that - two shots for international travelers. I think we count as that :) But you fulfilled one of the other point, blood tested. Did your civil surgeon in Italy receive that information, about the blood tests?

Fingers crossed that you hear back soon!

h

Timeline

Okay, here are the final updates:

In the end I just decided that it would be much safer to get the MMR missing vaccination.

All the other alternative solutions that I have are too time-consuming.

I looked up the USCIS authorized Civil Surgeons list on https://my.uscis.gov/findadoctor 

I called more than 20 contacts and spent the rest of the day on the phone. 
I couldn't find a single doctor willing to give me the vaccination and file only part 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9 of Form I-693
They would all insist that I need to do the full medical again. This means paying for a full visit and getting tested for tuberculosis, syphilis, gonorrhea AGAIN.

Prices go up to $350. Hell, no. 
I had my full medical examination done in Italy the day before my interview in March and I paid a lot for it.
The results have already been sent to USCIS by the border officer who inspected me at the POE, to whom I gave the sealed envelope with the results.
There's nothing more I need to prove besides that one missing vaccination. 

For some reason, I didn't get a blanket waiver for my missing shot. I should have gotten a C (contraindicated) blanket waiver, because I had just had the Varicella vaccination done two weeks before the medical examination by the public Italian healthcare system (it was free, that's why), and I was instructed not to get any additional vaccines for at least 30 days. Also, my blood test results showed that I have enough immunity for MMR.  

If you end up in the same situation, remember to know your rights. The I-693 instructions couldn't be any clearer:

3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas?
[...]
(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the Part 9. Vaccination Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1., 2., 3., 4., 6., and 9. of Form I-693.

So, if you have missing vaccinations like I do, and you do not have a blanket waiver on your DS-3025 for that category, remember to have a Civil Surgeon file those parts of I-693 on your behalf.  Do not believe civil surgeons who insist you need to do the full examination again and pay a full fee again
After endless attempts, I finally found a center authorized by USCIS who was willing to listen to my claims.
I made them look up the instructions and they finally agreed with me.

Nonetheless, most doctors will still dictate that they are not authorized to only complete part 4/6/9 (part 1/2/3 need to be filed by the applicant) only to scrounge the full price out of your pocket. Thieves. :ph34r:

I was instructed be to get the MMR vaccination at a Wallgreens and go there with the receipt and the forms, of which they will file the parts I need.

I was told that the required MMR shots are indeed two. 
Not having a blanker waiver would result in a RFE in most cases. 

This is a really easy step to miss in the application. Getting a medical examination done before the interview gave me the illusion that I was fully covered for my next steps of the application. 

Thank you @LizM for your support! 

TLDR: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE REQUIRED VACCINATIONS LISTED ON YOUR DS-3025 OR A BLANKET WAIVER FOR THEM.

EVEN IF YOU HAD THE MEDICAL EXAMINATION DONE, IT MAY HAPPEN THAT YOUR VACCINATION RECORD IS INCOMPLETE OR THAT THE PANEL PHYSICIAN FAILED TO FILE A BLANKET WAIVER.
FIND A CIVIL SURGEON ON THE USCIS WEBSITE, GET THE MISSING VACCINATIONS, AND MAKE THEM FILE PART 4/6/9 OF FORM I-693.

IF YOU ARE A K1 APPLICANT AND ALREADY HAD YOUR MEDICAL, DO NOT BELIEVE CS WHO TELL YOU YOU NEED TO DO IT AGAIN.

MAKE THEM READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. 

Edited by ababsurd

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 7/11/2018 at 2:41 PM, ababsurd said:

Thank you for your help, it means a lot. 

Unfortunately the blood test results that I have are not accepted because they were performed in Eu and not in the U.S. 
I would have to do them again, but at this point I might as well just get the extra shot and have a Civil Surgeon file part of the form for me. 

The instructions of Form I-693 specify that:

I called more than 10 Civil Surgeons listed on the USCIS website and none of them is willing to give me a shot without giving me the full medical again. Fees range from 200 to 350 and I'm not willing to have any of that. I really just need the shot and a doctor who can report it as specified on (C)(2)

Now I've just spoken to a Civil Surgeon who asked me to mail him my form DS-3025. He will let me know if he can just give me the shot and file Form I-693 for me. 

Fingers crossed. 

That is cheap compared to STL... $350 tops? They asked around $500-$600 here in Saint Louis for a full medical and they also didn't want to do just only the shot(s). After calling around 7 offices, finally found somebody who knew what the process is. I needed to travel a bit further but at least I know I am in good hands....

I had no MMR shot at all, I got one on the day when they completed my I-693. It is marked complete with one MMR shot.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

That is cheap

Cheap? Even less than that would be a ridiculous price. Most probably assume all immigrants are naive and try to sell you the "you have to do the full medical again" BS. 

5 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I had no MMR shot at all, I got one on the day when they completed my I-693. It is marked complete with one MMR shot.

That's good. Good luck!

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Just now, ababsurd said:

Cheap? Even less than that would be a ridiculous price. Most probably assume all immigrants are naive and try to sell you the "you have to do the full medical again" BS. 

That's good. Good luck!

Thank you!

Good luck to you too!

Updated the text. I was not clear about it. Wanted to say  compared to STL, somehow it stayed only I my mind instead of writing it down..  Here they asked between $500-$600 without any vaccination, just the plain medical I did overseas, which was around $200.

It crossed my mind to report those offices to USCIS or something, they are approved by USCIS, you call them and they don't know mostly anything about it. I think I was super lucky to find an office where even the receptionist knew all the process. When I arrived the form was already printed out, I said I bought mine completed :) She laugh, says usually people just show up unprepared, took my completed form and the vaccination worksheet I had and completed there. Go the missing shot, doctor signed it, and that's all.

Timeline
Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

Thank you!

Good luck to you too!

Updated the text. I was not clear about it. Wanted to say  compared to STL, somehow it stayed only I my mind instead of writing it down..  Here they asked between $500-$600 without any vaccination, just the plain medical I did overseas, which was around $200.

It crossed my mind to report those offices to USCIS or something, they are approved by USCIS, you call them and they don't know mostly anything about it. I think I was super lucky to find an office where even the receptionist knew all the process. When I arrived the form was already printed out, I said I bought mine completed :) She laugh, says usually people just show up unprepared, took my completed form and the vaccination worksheet I had and completed there. Go the missing shot, doctor signed it, and that's all.

That's great, good for you! Yes, reporting the problem would be a good idea.

I live in Miami.

I was able to get in touch with a civil surgeon and I had to insist to make him believe me. 

He instructed me to go to Wallgreens to get the MMR shot, go to him and he will file part 4-6-9 of Form I693 for $150.

The MMR at Wallgreens is $100.

I could use my husband's health plan (I'm co-dependent) and get it for $0 somewhere else, but the problem with healthplans is that they're able to schedule appointments only for 4-5 weeks later. I need to get this done quickly because my I94 expired a few days ago and I really want to send the AOS packet out ASAP.

So in the end I'm still going to pay a lot of money, $250, which is even more than the medical I did back in Italy.

Unreal. 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

My fiance had only one MMR shot before his visa interview. He however completed the second MMR shot before coming over to the States. The second shot was not written on his DS3025 but a Code B was written on the document for the MMR shot.

My concern is that the USCIS guys and the CBP guys don't have record of his second MMR vaccination. I'm told that the DS3025 is the only medical document recognised by USCIS and we only have his vaccination card (gotten from the clinic) as the evidence that he completed his MMR vaccination before coming over.

So is he supposed to go see a Surgeon General to fill Form i-693 or is the Code B on the DS3025 form okay?

Looking forward to your kind assistance. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.