ellis-island

New Article on Consular Denials

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Denali, don't worry.

This point actually made me angry. I met my husband when he was still married and we fell in love.

It took him 2 years to get divorced, not because his ex was trying to keep him but because of the state law. We got to see each other only 4 or 5 times during this period when he was actually separated.

So it's obvious that he filed I-129F immediately after his divorce.

What is suspicious about it ???????????????????????????????????????

Anyway I had no problems with my visa and we are already married, but it drives me crazy when I read such stupidity.

As for long gaps I also don't understand. My husband visited me every six months... and it absolutely drained him financially..... and his income is not at poverty level.... Since the requirement is that you had to meet in person within the last 2 years, is this also hard to understand that for some people it might be impossible to travel overseas often ? But on the other hand personally I haven't heard of anyone being denied for these reasons.

so, don't worry, I think these are really rare cases.

Good luck to all,

Ana

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Thank you for this suggestion. This topic has been discussed at great length lately and there have been many differing opinions as to the breadth of evidence that should be submitted with the I-129F petition. In light of recent consular activity in Morocco, I have suggested that perhaps is it prudent to give more information than explicitly required by the I-129F submission, especially for those petitioners who have one or more red flags in their case. The "less is more" camp insists that you should not submit any more than is asked for.

I think your article proves them wrong.

I agree. I had some red flags so submitted quite a lengthy supplement sheet. We had no problems at all, but Abdel was questioned about the red flag issues at his interview. Since his answers matched what I wrote, he had no problem getting the visa.

Edited by honeyblonde

Thank you for this suggestion. This topic has been discussed at great length lately and there have been many differing opinions as to the breadth of evidence that should be submitted with the I-129F petition. In light of recent consular activity in Morocco, I have suggested that perhaps is it prudent to give more information than explicitly required by the I-129F submission, especially for those petitioners who have one or more red flags in their case. The "less is more" camp insists that you should not submit any more than is asked for.

I agree. I had some red flags so submitted quite a lengthy supplement sheet. We had no problems at all, but Abdel was questioned about the red flag issues at his interview. Since his answers matched what I wrote, he had no problem getting the visa.

And there is a big difference in sending a supplement sheet to explain ones case, then sending an over abundance of evidence of the relationship and forgoing strength of evidence of having met within the required two years. This has what has been the biggest bone of contention.

Jenn,

For the life of me I cannot see how an over abundance of ongoing relationship evidence will overcome many of the reasons listed. If anything in some cases that evidence could very well give rise to some of those reasons.

I could also be missing it completely right now as I am sleep depravated.

Each case is different.....each case is unique.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

And there is a big difference in sending a supplement sheet to explain ones case, then sending an over abundance of evidence of the relationship and forgoing strength of evidence of having met within the required two years. This has what has been the biggest bone of contention.

Jenn,

For the life of me I cannot see how an over abundance of ongoing relationship evidence will overcome many of the reasons listed. If anything in some cases that evidence could very well give rise to some of those reasons.

Nowhere did I suggest that one submit an overabundance of ongoing relationship evidence.

I think my statement is quite reasonable if you look at the flags again:

1. A very brief courtship followed by a plunge into matrimony;

2. A marriage ceremony arranged only a short time after petitioner arrives in the beneficiary’s country and they meet for the first time;

3. No common language;

4. Petitioner resides with family members of the beneficiary in the US;

5. Petitioner is employed by or has a business relationship with a relative of beneficiary;

6. Petitioner submits phone records that show he uses a residential phone number that is listed in the name of another person.

7. US divorce followed very quickly by an engagement to foreign beneficiary is often a red flag for consular officers.

8. There is little or no documentary evidence of the relationship prior to the actual engagement.

9. Long gaps of time between the petitioner & beneficiary being together in person.

10. Failure to disclose previous marriages;

11. Failure to disclose previous petitions filed on behalf of other beneficiaries.

Jenn,

Nowhere did I suggest that one submit an overabundance of ongoing relationship evidence.

No you did not.......but this is what many members post as to what they are submitting, all mingled in with the evidence of having met....they are two seperate issues........and this is what many of us that you refer to as the 'less is more camp' try to balance.

As DD posted some of those listed are addressed in the questions themselves.

And I say again......IMO submitting certain evidence in support of the relationship could also give rise to many of those listed.

Members should look at the specifics of their case and submit evidence accordingly. Submit a supplement sheet if necessary to explain the case.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Jenn,

No you did not.......but this is what many members post as to what they are submitting, all mingled in with the evidence of having met....they are two seperate issues........and this is what many of us that you refer to as the 'less is more camp' try to balance.

As DD posted some of those listed are addressed in the questions themselves.

And I say again......IMO submitting certain evidence in support of the relationship could also give rise to may of those listed.

You're right. It is extremely important to give a lot of thought to the potential impression of every piece of evidence you submit. I agree with you - if you have a straightforward case, and none of these red flags apply to you, and you're not going through a high-fraud consulate, then your petition should probably not contain any moer than was asked for. BUT if one of the red flags does apply to you, I would definitely follow honeyblonde's lead in recognizing the weakness in your case and addressing that issue before it's too late.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
For those who are interested, "Immigration Daily" has just published an article of mine about consular denials of K-1 visas and an interesting process of more or less "automated" findings of misrepresentation. It is here.

I've written it from a more or less neutral perspective. "Just the facts, M'aam."

It will change the way a lot of lawyers & petitioners file I-130 & I-129F petitions.

I've known some of this stuff for a long time. But there is other information in the article

I've only just learned.

Ellis-island,

I was wondering if you have any information about consular denials of cr1/ir1. it seems that a lot of the possible red flags may be applied to cr1/ir1. are there any additional red flags that we should be aware of?

thank you for help. the article was very informative.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I meet all the requirements for not flying up the red flag. My worries are with the brazilian consulate, they´re very strict there, they tend to deny visas for no apparent reason, and my fiance and I are still being supported financially by our parents, although his dad will be his sponsor and all of that, I am scared they might use that against me to deny me a visa. True that the other two times I got a visa, student visa when I was 16 and a tourist one to visit Luis last year, I got it, but still, makes me nervous even though things seem to be on our side.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Thank you John for this quite interesting article. This is helpful for people who, like me, have tried to understand (without success really) and to wind their way through the immigration services byzantine rules and regulations.... :whistle:

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Timeline

This is very valuable information for those going through tough consulates or those who believe there may be issues with their case.

Thanks!

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee now was engaged to someone before and had file a K1 for her way back in 2001. The petition was approved but she didn't go through with. Is that gonna be a problem w/ my current K1 petition for her?

MY TIMELINE

05-18-2006 went home to the Philippines to visit her

06-02-2006 sent out I-129F

06-24-2006 NOA1

09-13-2006 TOUCHED for the first time :)

09-19-2006 IMBRA RFE mailed by CSC

09-20-2006 TOUCHED

09-23-2006 IMBRA RFE received

09-25-2006 IMBRA RFE mailed overnight to CSC

09-29-2006 IMBRA RFE received by CSC

10-01-2006 TOUCHED

10-16-2006 APPROVED via email!!!!!! (136 days later)

10-20-2006 received NOA2 in the mail

11-01-2006 Manila received

03-02-2007 Medical

03-09-2007 Interview

03-16-2007 Visa in hand

03-23-2007 flight to SFO

05-04-2007 civil wedding

09-07-2007 AOS interview

Filed: Timeline

joone,

Maybe. Maybe not.

May depend on the circumstances of the previous case.

Yodrak

My fiancee now was engaged to someone before and had file a K1 for her way back in 2001. The petition was approved but she didn't go through with. Is that gonna be a problem w/ my current K1 petition for her?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you Ellis, very interesting article that could help my situation. My fiance and I were denied on Friday. No chance given to come back with even more evidence (I sent much with the original petition and much more with him to his interview. I have just sent a letter to the Supervisory Consular Officer asking them to review my case and give us a chance to provide more evidence (I have tons more). Tomorrow I will have someone who is a good frins of my congressman and Senators give them a call to ask for their help (whatever they can do) and I hope taht we will be given atthe very least the opportunity to prove taht we are not misleading anyone, that we are true and that our love is true.

Any other suggestions?

skemper19 - MIAMI

2-13-2006 - Sent K-1 (I-129F) Petition to TSC

2-15-2006 - LOST EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT SO I CAN'T EVEN TRACK IT TO CONFIRM IT WAS RECEIVED

2-16-2006 - FOUND MY EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT!!!! Confirmed I-129F package arrived!! YAY!!!!!!

3-1-2006 - TOUCHED!!!!!! Check cleared the bank, now have case #!!!!

3-2-2006 - TOUCHED AGAIN - RECEIVED NOA1 FROM CSC!!!!!!!!!

4-7-2006 through 4-17-2006 - Visited my baby in Colombia ( Had a GLORIOUS time)

5-2-2006 - TOUCHED by e-mail!!!!! I-129F HAS BEEN APPROVED (5-1-2006)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

5-6-06 - TOUCHED BY SNAIL MAIL - RECEIVED NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!

5-22-06 - Called NVC - RECEIVED PETITION AND SENT TO EMBASSY ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!!

5-25-06 - RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC CONFIRMING RECEIPT AND SENDING OF PETITION TO EMBASSY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6-5-06 - PACKET 3 RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

6-16-05 - PACKET 4 RECEIVED!!!!!!!! Interview scheduled for July 14th!!!!!!!

7-14-06 - VISA DENIED DU TO LACK OF EVIDENCE

8-1-06 - Second interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

9-29-06 - He arrived!!!!

10-19-06 - Married at a small ceremony

11-10-0 - sent AOS package

11-17-06 - RECEIVED NOA1 for AOS and EAD

11-27-06 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPT 4 12-14-06 WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

2-1-07 - RECEIVED E-MAIL THAT EAD WAS APPROVED!!!!!!!

2-3-07 - RECEIVED EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!! Lucked out on that one!!!

Marc:

MANY THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE! I sent it to my fiancee to read. In many ways, I now feel as if we should have submitted more back-up information during the petition, and possibly more detail in our affidavits. Time will tell... but we have more than sufficient evidence ready for the Consular Officer.

Ahmari

Edited by AJH

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.