avoci

getting a us driver's license

8 posts in this topic

If my husband had a valid lisence in Albania, will he need to start at "square one" in order to get his valid Florida (US) lisence????

Any info. would be greatly appreciated =)

PS - We are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo HAPPY =)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Check with your local DMV at http://www.dmv.org and see what they say. Here in Alabama you have to get a permit and start all over again.

Edited by MaryandMian

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In Washington state, I had to do the written exam and the driving exam over again. I had my Canadian driver's licence for 30 years!!!!! I was quite surprised when I heard that I would need to do both tests over again.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If my husband had a valid lisence in Albania, will he need to start at "square one" in order to get his valid Florida (US) lisence????

I live here in Florida. I hold a valid native country Driver's License. And when I came in with a K3 Visa , I had to wait for a EAD (Employment Authorization Card and A SocialSecurity card to be able to be allowed for a Written (Rules and Laws in the computer) and Practical (Actual driving).

Below are useful Links

http://oasis.hsmv.state.fl.us/

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/dlnew.html

I hope this helped.

Most likely, yes.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
In Washington state, I had to do the written exam and the driving exam over again. I had my Canadian driver's licence for 30 years!!!!! I was quite surprised when I heard that I would need to do both tests over again.

They obviously think that people from other countries don't drive as well as Americans do :blink:

The good thing is, driving tests here are really easy. You just have to drive in a 25 mph area for 10 minutes and stop at all the stop signs. And you have to overdo everything - I failed my first attempt on a test just because there was an old lady just about to start crossing the road, and I didn't stop and wait for her to cross :lol:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I had to do theory and road test for Wisconsin..

The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to look over your shoulder when turning

In the Police I had three residential advanced driving courses and in Wisconsin I 'bearly passed' to quote the examiner...thats because i didnt look over my shoulder...

I passed my test in March 1964 and I have driven fast cars and motorbikes on several continents since then with no crashes.

The 16 year old girl who was tested at the same time passed with flying colours !!!!

In the police we could be failed for indicating when there was nothing behind ....

'who are you indicating at - dont you know who is on the road ?'

So as long as you look over your shoulder and download the road signs booklet file from the florida dmv it will be a piece of cake...

The examiner said she had never seen such wonderful 'parallel' parking - I used to park in Paris a lot so I am well practised - I think that got me the pass. My American wife can't parallel park for toffee- no practise you see...

ps they try and take your national licence as it is 'out of state' tell em its the property of your government and you cant give it up - I told em it belonged to the Queen - they dont want any more trouble with the Brits so he said I could keep it...

alan

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I came with a B1/B2 (Tourist/Business) Visa and with my I-94 (not expired) and passport I get the Florida License in Jan 2007, for the time that is stamped in your I-94 (In my case for 6 months) but at least is very good to have a US Driver license because you can start with your driver record and other things for insurance and is better you use as ID than the passport (I don't want to take the risk to lose my passport).

Edited by gustahot

05/25/10 - N-400 package delivered in Phoenix, AZ

06/04/10 - Check cashed

06/10/10 - NOA received

06/16/10 - Case available online

06/17/10 - Case online showing RFE (Biometrics notice) sent on 06/16/10

06/21/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

07/08/10 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/10 - Walk in Biometrics

08/06/10 - Email / Text for for new case status: "Test and Interview"

08/09/10 - Interview Appointment letter received for 09/13/10

09/13/10 - Interview Approved!

09/13/10 - Same Day Ceremony! I am a US Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.