JMDI

Removing "DHS Authorization" on SS card with I-797 extension letter

16 posts in this topic

I recently submitted an I-751 (Removal of Conditions) application to the CSC. I received my I-797 NOA1 which extends my  conditional GC by one year.

Does anyone know if I can take that extension letter (I-797) to the local Social Security Administration office and ask for the notation "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization" to be removed from my social security card? I was not even aware I could have done that earlier while I had my 2-yr green card until I read the forums here...  Thanks in advance for your input/experience!

55 minutes ago, JMDI said:

I recently submitted an I-751 (Removal of Conditions) application to the CSC. I received my I-797 NOA1 which extends my  conditional GC by one year.

Does anyone know if I can take that extension letter (I-797) to the local Social Security Administration office and ask for the notation "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization" to be removed from my social security card? I was not even aware I could have done that earlier while I had my 2-yr green card until I read the forums here...  Thanks in advance for your input/experience!

Does your actual green card still valid? If yes, then you can without the extension letter, if your green card is already expired then you will have a hard time to do it since SSA don't know what I-797 means.

VERMONT SERVICE CENTER - I-751 ROC

05/11/17: Date of I-751
05/12/17: VSC received our package

05/12/17: NOA Date
05/14/17: NOA Arrived in the mail & check cashed

06/22/17: Biometrics Appointment at ASC Manhattan

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

06/13/18: Card Being Produced - NO RFE/NO INTERVIEW

06/16/18: Approval Letter arrived in the mail with 06/13/18 approval date

06/18/18: Card was picked up by USPS

06/20/18: Received 10 years Green Card from the mail - END OF I-751 JOURNEY!

E-FILING (IOE) N-400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

06/21/18: Submitted Online
06/22/18: Received NOA Online

06/23/18: Online account updated to Biometrics scheduled on 07/12/18

06/25/18: NOA letter arrived in the mail

06/28/18: Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/12/18: Biometrics appointment at ASC Manhattan

02/28/19: In Line for Interview

03/01/19: Interview Date is on 04/08/19

04/08/19: Interview Day: Approved on the spot

04/09/19: We Scheduled your Oath Ceremony 

04/12/19: Oath Letter arrived in the mail

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

DS-11 - APPLICATION FOR US PASSPORT BOOK AND CARD

05/02/19: Submitted application thru USPS - Expedited
05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

05/11/19: Passport book received thru USPS Priority Mail

05/13/19: Passport card received

05/14/19: Naturalization Certificate back - END OF PASSPORT APPLICATION!

26 minutes ago, Lemon23 said:

Does your actual green card still valid? If yes, then you can without the extension letter, if your green card is already expired then you will have a hard time to do it since SSA don't know what I-797 means.

Thanks for the reply!

No, the GC has expired... I guess I will try my luck at the local SSA office. 

Edited by JMDI

32 minutes ago, JMDI said:

Thanks for the reply!

No, the GC has expired... I guess I will try my luck at the local SSA office. 

You can try, just make sure to bring all the letters you received from USCIS and have them read. Good luck.

Edited by Lemon23

04/09/18: Online changed to case transferred to local office but no actual letter

05/02/19: Oath Ceremony - OFFICIALLY U.S. CITIZEN AND END OF IMMIGRATION JOURNEY!

05/06/19: Received email, passport application is now traceable online thru Travel.State.gov website (https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search)

05/08/19: Received email, passport has been printed and it's on final processing
05/09/19: Received email, passport application has been finished processing with USPS tracking number and expected delivery is on 05/14/2019

05/10/19: Receive email from USPS informed Delivery - Expected Passport delivery is on 05/11/2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
43 minutes ago, JMDI said:

Thank you! Will do!

Take a printout of this page with you. https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025#c1

If they resist, show them the instructions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Update us after you go please! My husband is currently battling with his HR who want to terminate him because his green card expires tomorrow. We neglected to get his ssn changed and are regretting it now. 

27 minutes ago, Wooderz said:

Update us after you go please! My husband is currently battling with his HR who want to terminate him because his green card expires tomorrow. We neglected to get his ssn changed and are regretting it now. 

Will do - BTW, I think your husband should show this to HR if he has his I-797 NOA

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/71-lawful-permanent-residents-lpr

LPRs and conditional residents may be issued temporary I-551 documents. These documents are acceptable for Form I-9 as follows:

• The combination of an expired Permanent Resident Card and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, that indicates that the card is valid for an additional year, is an acceptable List C evidence of employment authorization for one year as indicated on Form I-797. At the end of the one-year period, you must reverify.

3 hours ago, Wooderz said:

Posted the update. I hope your husband is able to sort it out with HR. At the very least, he should be able to schedule an infopass appointment with a local USCIS field office and get a temporary I-551 stamp on his passport in case he still awaiting the I-797 NOA1

15 hours ago, JMDI said:

So, just got back from the local Social Security Administration field office.

• Did not need an appointment - walk-ins are fine
  • The lady at the counter, as expected, was completely ignorant of the I-797 and insisted that she could not do anything as my GC had expired
  • I politely corrected her and tried to show her a printout of the official Program Operations Manual System (POMS) document, which clearly states an expired I-551 (GC) and an associated I-797 extension letter as acceptable proof of permanent resident status and that such applicants should be issued UNRESTRICTED SS cards
  • She refused to look at the document, claiming that "they have much more info..." and said that she would need to see an I-551 stamp on the passport
  • I insisted that the I-797 is the standard document provided by USCIS
  • Finally, she called a supervisor, who took a cursory look at the printed document I provided and told her to process it
  • As far as I know, I should be getting an unrestricted SS card in the mail within 2 weeks

Bottom line, if you are in a similar position, take the printout and insist on speaking to a supervisor!

Thanks for your help, charmander!

This is expected as some of the employees are ignorant with documents from USCIS or I could say lack of training. Good thing you were able to deal with the supervisor who are more willing to read the docs than the staff because of laziness to read. You should get your unrestricted SSA card in less than 2 weeks.

Edited by Lemon23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
17 hours ago, JMDI said:

Thanks for your help, charmander!

I'm glad it worked out. SSA personnel could be just as ignorant as DMV people for USCIS paperwork.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My experience: Went to local SSN office with expired GC and Extension letter. The lady serving me first pointed out my green card was expired and could do nothing, i explained the purpose of the I-797 letter and she just looked at me and said homeland does not recognize any paperwork from uscis, they can only accept green cards. 

And now after reading this I wish i had the "printout of the official Program Operations Manual System (POMS) document, " it would have been a lot more helpful. But again this lady was ready to shut down any further talk once she saw the green card was expired. 

PS congrats on successful update to your SSN card!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.