afrocraft

Recent worrisome immigration enforcement actions

39 posts in this topic

OK, there's routine enforcement targeted at undocumented citizens, visa overstayers, violent criminals, etc., and then there's this.

Resident in the US for 50 years, legal and all, and seemingly grounded in his community. Then picked up by ICE without warrant for removal apparently because of a 17-year-old misdemeanor in his record.  

Yes, he probably should've filed for citizenship aeons ago, but this just feels wrong.

https://splinternews.com/legal-resident-arrested-by-ice-as-family-watches-from-h-1826807456 

Edited by afrocraft

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Domestic Violence is taken very seriously, perhaps why he never naturalized?

We are in the era of Me Too and Times Up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't we hear these stories everyday.  Now we have the entire separating children stories flying around.  It's all the current administrations fault, and the person is always an angelic victim.  ICE may be doing more lately which they should have been doing all along.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, afrocraft said:

OK, there's routine enforcement targeted at undocumented citizens, visa overstayers, violent criminals, etc., and then there's this.

Resident in the US for 50 years, legal and all, and seemingly grounded in his community. Then picked up by ICE without warrant for removal apparently because of a 17-year-old misdemeanor in his record.  

Yes, he probably should've filed for citizenship aeons ago, but this just feels wrong.

https://splinternews.com/legal-resident-arrested-by-ice-as-family-watches-from-h-1826807456 

You confused me... what is means "undocumented citizens"?

and about the link ... I wouldn't trust much to this, just because  I seen too much manipulative "news" that showing only one side of a situation, or misinform us, or don't showing all aspects. What his family don't know nothing it's dosen't  means he did't nothing wrong lately. 

It's like "Time" with crying little girl and President on the cover. This girl never was separated with mother and even more,  mother actually kidnaped the girl from her husband. So be careful with what you see and what you beliving, especially when information given you in very emotional and even hysterical way.

event.png

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jerry and Elena said:

You confused me... what is means "undocumented citizens"?

and about the link ... I wouldn't trust much to this, just because  I seen too much manipulative "news" that showing only one side of a situation, or misinform us, or don't showing all aspects. What his family don't know nothing it's dosen't  means he did't nothing wrong lately. 

It's like "Time" with crying little girl and President on the cover. This girl never was separated with mother and even more,  mother actually kidnaped the girl from her husband. So be careful with what you see and what you beliving, especially when information given you in very emotional and even hysterical way.

Somebody without a birth certificate or passport?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Somebody without a birth certificate or passport?

I mean citizen of which country? If here was about illegal immigrants , they are illegals and not citizens

event.png

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jerry and Elena said:

I mean citizen of which country? If here was about illegal immigrants , they are illegals and not citizens

Certainly an odd combination, one I do not think I have seen before so I was admittedly guessing what could be meant.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
9 minutes ago, afrocraft said:

Miami woman threatened with denaturalization for a decade-old case, and DHS devoting $200 million to dig up citizenship fraud. Fair or not?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/immigration/article214173489.html

The main thrust of this push is to track down people who gamed the deportation system: those who were ordered deported but later gained citizenship or legal residency under a different identity. Gaming the immigration system is nothing new, including in South Florida, where marriage fraud schemes have flourished over the years. Immigration officials have long made catching those frauds a priority and regularly denaturalized people convicted in such instances.

Borgono did not lie about her identity. But the government's case against her is built on the same underlying argument: that she did not disclose a previous crime on her citizenship application.

19 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The main thrust of this push is to track down people who gamed the deportation system: those who were ordered deported but later gained citizenship or legal residency under a different identity. Gaming the immigration system is nothing new, including in South Florida, where marriage fraud schemes have flourished over the years. Immigration officials have long made catching those frauds a priority and regularly denaturalized people convicted in such instances.

Borgono did not lie about her identity. But the government's case against her is built on the same underlying argument: that she did not disclose a previous crime on her citizenship application.

Be careful there. If you read on, you'll see that she wasn't even convicted of any crime at the time of application. The government appeared to base it's case on this question, which I guarantee you the vast majority of applicants answer incorrectly:

"Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested?" (emphasis original).

Even the Supreme Court's Chief Justice seemed incredulous:

"Last summer, the Supreme Court heard a court case about how broadly the government could use answers to that question to revoke citizenship. The U.S. attorney argued that it could for any crime, even something as small as driving five miles over the speed limit, an example provided by Chief Justice John Roberts as a crime he had committed but never had been arrested for."

Timeline

She naturalised whist she was being prosecuted for a $24 million fraud, easy to understand how it slipped her mind.

I think she'd argue that she did nothing wrong -- she was a secretary who produced documents as instructed by her boss, cooperated with the Feds to get him, didn't profit from it, and got a plea deal.

More generally, the government is arguing that it can use any crime you may have committed, even if you weren't arrested or convicted for it. I'm pretty sure a motivated immigration officer can show that most applicants have committed some crime -- reckless driving, tax fraud -- enough to de-naturalize.

Timeline
Just now, afrocraft said:

I think she'd argue that she did nothing wrong -- she was a secretary who produced documents as instructed by her boss, cooperated with the Feds to get him, didn't profit from it, and got a plea deal.

More generally, the government is arguing that it can use any crime you may have committed, even if you weren't arrested or convicted for it. I'm pretty sure a motivated immigration officer can show that most applicants have committed some crime -- reckless driving, tax fraud -- enough to de-naturalize.

The Courts thought otherwise and she did a plea deal....

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The Courts thought otherwise and she did a plea deal....

You might be unfamiliar with how the justice system works. Many innocent people plead to reduce the cost and stress of an investigation. But don't ignore the general point: that the government now wants you to confess to any crime you may have ever committed -- or else.

Timeline

On May 17, 2012, Borgono took a plea deal and was sentenced to one year of house arrest, four years of probation and $5,000 of restitution.

Does not sound minor? We are not talking about a speeding ticket.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.