sunshinelove

Tip for AOS filers with joint bank account

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi! Just a tip I felt I should put out there. I've had my wife on my bank account for months now so we used a bank statement as proof of our relationship and the lady interviewing us asked to see our debit cards. My card is very used and my wife's is like brand new and she commented on the fact that all the transactions were with my card and not her's. I explained that my wife couldn't drive and that we were always together so that's why we primarily use my card and she nodded and there was no problem with it but it still scared me for half a second. We got approved (yay!) but just a word of advice for new couples like us who are pulling everything together to prove a real relationship. Make sure you both use the account if you're both on it. I don't know how much of a big deal it is, but it certainly can't hurt :D

unitedstates.gift4518.gifbelgium-flag.gif

Met Online March 3, 2016

Became a couple April 2, 2016

First trip to Belgium: June 28 - August 11, 2016

Second trip to Belgium: December 15, 2016 - March 11, 2017

K1

Sent in I-129F September 14, 2016

Visa received in hand April 6, 2017

I-129F to K1 in hand: 204 days (6 months 23 days)

Arrived into the US May 10, 2017

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Sent AOS packet January 19, 2018

Greencard received in mail June 14, 2018

AOS to Greencard in hand: 146 days (4 months 26 days)  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Good advice!  Besides having both names on the account, they want to see both people using them.  And not see them name added a month before the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Interesting note, thanks for the info. Never thought they would look at that, but on the bank statements they really can't tell what card was used, but just to be safe I'll make sure I swipe her card back and forth thru my credit card reader with it unplugged to put some " Wear and Tear" on it before the interview if we ever get to that stage the way things are creeping along.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

how did you add your wife to your account. my husband tried to put me in his account but my passport has my maiden name and my ssn have my husbands last name. we didnt get approved. i cannot change my name in my passport yet because i havent filed my report of marriage in the civil registry of my country. 

Timeline
15 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Interesting note, thanks for the info. Never thought they would look at that, but on the bank statements they really can't tell what card was used, but just to be safe I'll make sure I swipe her card back and forth thru my credit card reader with it unplugged to put some " Wear and Tear" on it before the interview if we ever get to that stage the way things are creeping along.

I'm sure wear and tear will help but on the statement I received from my bank it did have the last 4 numbers of my card associated with each transaction so maybe it varies with banks. :huh:

Met Online March 3, 2016

K1

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Timeline
6 hours ago, Diorella said:

how did you add your wife to your account. my husband tried to put me in his account but my passport has my maiden name and my ssn have my husbands last name. we didnt get approved. i cannot change my name in my passport yet because i havent filed my report of marriage in the civil registry of my country. 

My wife kept her maiden name so we didn't have any problems with different names, but for us it was very easy. All they needed to add her on was her passport and SSN but I know it varies from bank to bank. I believe you are in California based on your info so you might have to wait until you get work authorization (assuming you haven't) and then you can get a CA ID. You shouldn't have any problems if your CA ID and SS card have the same last name. A Greencard would allow you to get an ID too but I know for sure your work authorization card will work too if AOS is still ongoing. If you can't work though you probably won't be able to get an ID and your options are limited. If none of these are options, you might have to switch banks for a little while. I know Wells Fargo is very easy to join. Hope this helps :) 

Met Online March 3, 2016

K1

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

thank you very much for your reply. i dont have a EAD (work permit) card yet. so i cant get any ID. so i am just waiting and waiting. hopefully they will approved soon.

Timeline

Hopefully it comes soon so you won't have to worry. Just remember, interviewers are generally understanding in regards to new couples having financial proof of a relationship. That kind of proof comes with time and that's just how it is so don't be too stressed out. :)

Met Online March 3, 2016

K1

Married June 2, 2017!!

AOS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country:
Timeline
On 6/9/2018 at 7:21 PM, sunshinelove said:

My wife kept her maiden name so we didn't have any problems with different names, but for us it was very easy. All they needed to add her on was her passport and SSN but I know it varies from bank to bank. I believe you are in California based on your info so you might have to wait until you get work authorization (assuming you haven't) and then you can get a CA ID. You shouldn't have any problems if your CA ID and SS card have the same last name. A Greencard would allow you to get an ID too but I know for sure your work authorization card will work too if AOS is still ongoing. If you can't work though you probably won't be able to get an ID and your options are limited. If none of these are options, you might have to switch banks for a little while. I know Wells Fargo is very easy to join. Hope this helps :) 

You are right, in CA. They require two forms of ID'S in our case they were EAD and Ca. State ID. Both were with my husband last name after marriage.Also they required the SS with last name of my husband as well, all IDS have to match.  Prior to having the CA ID, we went to Chase and WF with only my  passport (my maiden name) and EAD and they refused to add me unless I had two IDS with last name. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.