O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

223 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I was excited to see some of the successes in this forum but today was denied importation of a 19 Forester with an aftermarket installed TPMS at the Queenston Lewiston bridge crossing.

Officer said that the installed sensor must be OEM parts. I mentioned that Subaru told me that they didn’t believe a Canadian made model could be retrofitted with OEM parts, and he replied that this means the car is not importable. Officer was super friendly and seemed to feel a bit bad for my situation. I had had the TPMS “professionally installed” at a Mr Lube.

The officer also said that DMVs are being more diligent about checking for this as technically unregulated aftermarket parts don’t qualify to be insured on US roads.

I might try to see if Subaru can install this kit, or see if I can get the OEM sensors installed in the tires and get that in writing.

Overall pretty crazy this is an issue; I’d have had second thoughts about buying this car if I’d known it has this issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I appreciate to everyone who contributed to this thread. My car is 2015 Mercedes C-Class w/ TPLS (indirect TPMS), and I was able to import my car today using the approach suggested in this thread; purchase an aftermarket TPMS, get it installed by professional mechanics, and showing the evidence (invoice from the mechanics) to the border officers. The border officer initially said "aftermarket TPMS is not allowed" (but super politely), but for some reason, they eventually approved the import. Thank you so much!

On 7/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, Encoder-Decoder said:

Hi all, I appreciate to everyone who contributed to this thread. My car is 2015 Mercedes C-Class w/ TPLS (indirect TPMS), and I was able to import my car today using the approach suggested in this thread; purchase an aftermarket TPMS, get it installed by professional mechanics, and showing the evidence (invoice from the mechanics) to the border officers. The border officer initially said "aftermarket TPMS is not allowed" (but super politely), but for some reason, they eventually approved the import. Thank you so much!

That's good to hear! Which border did you go through? Can you give more info about the invoice, did it specifically say "aftermarket"? Did you have to reason when they said aftermarket TPMS is not allowed?

Edited by frnzsno

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2023 at 11:14 PM, frnzsno said:

That's good to hear! Which border did you go through? Can you give more info about the invoice, did it specifically say "aftermarket"? Did you have to reason when they said aftermarket TPMS is not allowed?

Yes, the invoice specifically said "aftermarket". I don't have the invoice right now, but the mechanic who worked on the installation did a great job for writing the invoice which was saying something like: "The aftermarket TPMS is properly installed and fully tested by professional mechanics". The border officer initially said "So the TPMS is an aftermarket, which is not accepted" but when I countered "That's right, sir. That said, it is installed by professional mechanics and they confirmed that it was working. Also, I understand that border officers may have their own discretion on this", he asked me to wait for him and had a long discussion with his supervisor, then came back to me with a form.

The reason why the border officer said that aftermarket would not be allowed was because it was explicitly mentioned in the rule (see below).

FYI, I went to one of the borders in ON, but don't want to disclose the exact location as the border officer looked stumped when I countered. I don't want to give him additional pressure by routing more people to him 🙂.

If the manufacturer’s letter states that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS but does not comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 138 Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, the vehicle can only be imported as a conforming motor vehicle under Box 2B if the importer furnishes Customs with an invoice from a franchised dealer or authorized repair facility of the vehicle’s original manufacturer showing that a tire pressure monitoring system identical to, and with the same part number(s) as the system the manufacturer installs on vehicles manufactured for sale in the United States has been installed on the vehicle for which entry is sought.

Edited by Encoder-Decoder

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, Encoder-Decoder said:

The reason why the border officer said that aftermarket would not be allowed was because it was explicitly mentioned in the rule (see below).

The rule is in place because it meets DOT regulations.  Aftermarket TPMS doesn't.  The Federal Infrastructure bill addressed updates to some very outdated DOT rules, so these types of things are very much on the map as work is being done to bring the US more in alignment with some of it's European counterparts with their advanced safety features.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 3 months later...

I am reporting Successful import of 2019 GLC 300, in November, 2023 which did not have TPMS. I received a lot of information from this thread, so I think it is my duty to report back so that others can benefit. 

I bought TPMS from Amazon and got it installed by Townfair tire in Woonsocket Massachussets. He only charged me $80 for wheel alignment.

I filled up the forms and put the receipt of TPMS in a folder and drove to USA Cornwal Border in Ontario. The address of USBP port is as follows:

30M Seaway International Bridge
Rooseveltown, NY 13683
United States

The border agent was super friendly and very knowledgeable. She looked at the documents and said, you know what, they will make you fix the TPMS. I said I have done that. She checked the TPMS receipt and said, you are all set. She instructed me to park the car in designated spot and enter the office. She instructed her junior to do the work and told that all documents were in order. The office did not ask a single question and neither inspected the car.

I recommend this border crossing for importing the car with third party TPMS. Your experience may vary depending on which crossing you go to.

Staff here is very friendly. When we were waiting for our paperwork to be processed another person came for enquiry to import the car and border agent was explaining all details to her patiently. Even giving contact number of OEM to get compliance letter.

I had struggle with Mercedes Benz for getting the compliance letter. They said that as per policy they no longer issue letters stating that car meets all requirements except FMVSS 138. I tried escalating to CEO. There was still no response. I sued Mercedes in small claims court of Brampton. The process is online. This forced Mercedes to respond and opened a communication channel with their para legal, who was responding to my claim. I said that I will drop the claim if they gave letter stating that the car meets all requirements except FMVSS 138 (TPMS). They gave the letter.

Today on 11/30 I have been able to register my car in Massachussets. I hope this report helps someone.

Edited by vk787

On 4/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, mam521 said:

Just a head's up that I've now seen on 2 separate occasions.  Apparently Toyota Canada is no longer issuing compliance letters.  I suspect it has to do with liability since an aftermarket TPMS does not technically meet DOT regulation and the TPMS is a requirement to meet DOT standards.  So, I suppose take that whatever way you want. 

If someone with a Toyota can confirm, that'd be great.  

Mercedes denied me compliance letter with similar reasoning. I sued them in small claims court. All paperwork can be done online, and there is no need of a lawyer or paralegal. It cost around CAD 250. They eventually agreed to give a piece of paper. The argument is as follows: The car manufacturer did not warn the customer that this car cannot be imported in USA. They have other line of cars that can be imported and OEM was very much aware of the situation that customers will inadvertently buy a non-compliant car and try to import it. It is duty of OEM to save customers from peril. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, vk787 said:

Mercedes denied me compliance letter with similar reasoning. I sued them in small claims court. All paperwork can be done online, and there is no need of a lawyer or paralegal. It cost around CAD 250. They eventually agreed to give a piece of paper. The argument is as follows: The car manufacturer did not warn the customer that this car cannot be imported in USA. They have other line of cars that can be imported and OEM was very much aware of the situation that customers will inadvertently buy a non-compliant car and try to import it. It is duty of OEM to save customers from peril. 

All good until CPB actually enforces DOT which requires OEM TPMS.  Not the manufacturer's fault and clearly stated in the DOT regulation.  

Regardless, I'm not importing any vehicles so it's not my circus to run ;) 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

On 7/20/2022 at 11:10 AM, O.C said:

Hello from OP 4 years later 👋

I just wanted to say that I am so happy to see how this post has helped so many people with importing their vehicles with the TPMS Issue. Funny enough, my TPMS sensors literally stopped working like a few months after they were installed.  I was involved in a car accident a year ago so my Subaru that started this all is now totaled and gone 😥 

Hello OP,

Your post helped me import the car. Thanks a lot. Keep being awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, vk787 said:

I had same back and forth with MB customer service regarding Non-Compliance Letter on MB letterhead. I was about to start small claims court process but I first send an email to MB CEO, asking for the change of policy and a letter and two days later I got it emailed to me. 

I imported the 2014 MB successfully last week in Alex Bay, NY. (U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Alexandria Bay Port of Entry). I provided the MB letter, invoice for the aftermarket installation of TPMS sensors and filled Declaration.  I was asked for form CBP 7501 which I had blank. Officer took all papers and start filling up the Entry Summary form right away without asking me anything.  He spoke with the another office and they mentioned some dollar amounts. I was told that I have to pay import duty of $300.

Thank you for the posts and help with the process. 

2 hours ago, Piotr1995 said:

I had same back and forth with MB customer service regarding Non-Compliance Letter on MB letterhead. I was about to start small claims court process but I first send an email to MB CEO, asking for the change of policy and a letter and two days later I got it emailed to me. 

I imported the 2014 MB successfully last week in Alex Bay, NY. (U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Alexandria Bay Port of Entry). I provided the MB letter, invoice for the aftermarket installation of TPMS sensors and filled Declaration.  I was asked for form CBP 7501 which I had blank. Officer took all papers and start filling up the Entry Summary form right away without asking me anything.  He spoke with the another office and they mentioned some dollar amounts. I was told that I have to pay import duty of $300.

Thank you for the posts and help with the process. 

Awesome. I had also written to the CEO, but I did not get any response from his office. Did you do this process in Nov\Dec 2023?

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed as the member has two threads on the same issue, one in this forum and one in another.

please refrain from posting a question multiple times.

charles
vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for this very informative thread. I learned a lot here. 

Late last year, both my gf's hubby and I got job offers in the US. He is at Huston; I am in California. 

We have discussed about how to import our vehicles for months now, and this thread helps a l lot. It is quite bit homework to do to make it really happen (finger crossed).  Long story short, it is eventually the time for us to act. They will drive the vehicle cross border by late March, I plan to do that by mid of April. To thank all the people taking the time and efforts to help us, I will post the whole process for both cases. Please wish us good luck, lol.

The vehicles we have, both are Subaru Forester, his is 2017, mine is 2015. 

Thanks to all and wish you all the best!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.