1,652 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, QueensNY said:

Yes I know the feeling. I mailed 2 days before you. Didn’t receive anything and up to this day my money order has not been cashed. But guess what I called USCIS today at 4:30 pm and a very nice lady give me my receipt number. So you can call them once it’s over 10days. 

Good luck

thanks for the heads up! we had tried calling on Wednesday the 20th and only got told to email the lockbox people and wait 30 days, but knowing that we might try again on Monday *fingers crossed*

2 hours ago, Camie said:

Hey everyone! Seems like the processing times are taking longer now. :(

My husband and I were finally able to save up enough money to apply for the AOS. I'm a little worried because I'm now out of status due to waiting so long to apply but we really didn't have a choice because we couldn't find a co-sponsor, so we saved up instead. Hopefully that wont be an issue :|

I hope everyone gets their notices soon!

Welcome :)

If you applied for AOS just now, you will have your NOA1 and thus go from out of status to authorized stay in no time. Also, I do not believe it's policy to initiate removal proceedings for someone who married within the timeframe of the I-94, so don't worry about that at all. 

Edited by LizM

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, LizM said:

As per the last VJ stats, IR1/CR1 is 400+days. I'm a September filer and I most likely would not have even had my interview at this point, had we married and filed the I-130 petition instead.

As for the total petition filed --> green card in hand processing time... A spousal visa may be quicker. But I can honestly say, for my husband and me, that the K1 was by all means the correct choice. I know all the arguments pro spousal visa, and I agree with them, but coming to live with my now husband in May instead of sometime later this winter meant the world to us. And that was definitely the priority, vs. getting the green card asap. I am not in a hurry to naturalize, I am not in a hurry to remove any conditions, or even get the conditional green card in the first place. It would be nice to work, so waiting for EAD is a bit of a drag, and I will surely be climbing the walls in a few weeks if not sooner. But STILL - we are together :) That's what matters, in my opinion.

I second this. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

1 hour ago, LizM said:

As per the last VJ stats, IR1/CR1 is 400+days. I'm a September filer and I most likely would not have even had my interview at this point, had we married and filed the I-130 petition instead.

As for the total petition filed --> green card in hand processing time... A spousal visa may be quicker. But I can honestly say, for my husband and me, that the K1 was by all means the correct choice. I know all the arguments pro spousal visa, and I agree with them, but coming to live with my now husband in May instead of sometime later this winter meant the world to us. And that was definitely the priority, vs. getting the green card asap. I am not in a hurry to naturalize, I am not in a hurry to remove any conditions, or even get the conditional green card in the first place. It would be nice to work, so waiting for EAD is a bit of a drag, and I will surely be climbing the walls in a few weeks if not sooner. But STILL - we are together :) That's what matters, in my opinion.

I think you are right in a way. But it seems that spouse visa just takes a big longer, and can save about 1000$ and time in general. I did want to be with my husband as soon as I can. But now I can’t work staying home every day is a bit boring and can’t drive. And he has to work to support us which is not fair for him. He didn’t complain but I don’t like that only him is supporting our family. If we did apply for spouse visa, I could still work and wait for the visa and once I entered the USA, I will have a normal life quicker than now instead of waiting timelessly 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I just recieved an update via the USCIS app for my AOS. unfortunatly it said "Request for initial evidence was mailed" I have no idea what it could be. 

but also this is pretty fast since I send in my application on june 1st. does this mean they are already working on my case. hopefully I will recieve the letter in my mailbox soon, so that I can find out what is wrong with my application.

9 minutes ago, Tomalley said:

I think you are right in a way. But it seems that spouse visa just takes a big longer, and can save about 1000$ and time in general. I did want to be with my husband as soon as I can. But now I can’t work staying home every day is a bit boring and can’t drive. And he has to work to support us which is not fair for him. He didn’t complain but I don’t like that only him is supporting our family. If we did apply for spouse visa, I could still work and wait for the visa and once I entered the USA, I will have a normal life quicker than now instead of waiting timelessly 

Oh, $1.000, plus ~5 months loss of salary... The last one is definitely the most expensive for most, I would think :)

You are not prohibited from looking for a job, however. You just aren't allowed to start working without EAD. An offer may be hard to get, but I have seen plenty people on here succeed. With it, you have the possibility to expedite your EAD.

h

10 minutes ago, Roy Janssen said:

I just recieved an update via the USCIS app for my AOS. unfortunatly it said "Request for initial evidence was mailed" I have no idea what it could be. 

but also this is pretty fast since I send in my application on june 1st. does this mean they are already working on my case. hopefully I will recieve the letter in my mailbox soon, so that I can find out what is wrong with my application.

Could be anything, that has to do with the initial requirements - what type of birth certificate do you have in the Netherlands? Did you submit it in Dutch with an English translation?

Yes, it's good that you're getting the RFIE rather quickly. It'll reset your timeline, unfortunately, but you won't lose many days.

h

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LizM said:

Could be anything, that has to do with the initial requirements - what type of birth certificate do you have in the Netherlands? Did you submit it in Dutch with an English translation?

Yes, it's good that you're getting the RFIE rather quickly. It'll reset your timeline, unfortunately, but you won't lose many days.

hmm, we will see what it is. Yes i submitted a dutch birth certificate with an english translation. so that wouldn't be the problem.

16 minutes ago, LizM said:

Oh, $1.000, plus ~5 months loss of salary... The last one is definitely the most expensive for most, I would think :)

You are not prohibited from looking for a job, however. You just aren't allowed to start working without EAD. An offer may be hard to get, but I have seen plenty people on here succeed. With it, you have the possibility to expedite your EAD.

Of course , there are ways to make up for it. But in general, spouse visa makes things easier in a way. And I did read people can’t expedite EAD even with an offer. 

Timeline

also I just looked up some other case numbers that filed right before me and they all have a "request for initial evidence" just the one for adjustment of status. very strange.

RFE is much better than a denial, stay positive!

K1 Filed – 05/07/17

K1 NOA1 – N0A2 – 02/06/2018 (211 days)

K1 Interview – 04/11/18 – Approved

Visa in Hand – 05/03/18

POE – LAX – 05/16/2018

Married – 06/11/2018

AOS Filed – 06/18/2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.