Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kachab said:

Hi @New_123

This is what the Department of State say on their website regarding the PCC. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

image.thumb.png.c4be6bad310211be27c0e23cf6969b9c.png

The NVC letter I got in 2019 when they confirmed that I was DQed and put in the queue for the interview said the same thing, but it said that the PCCs were expiring after 1 year instead of 2. I don't take any chance, and still consider them to be valid for 1 year. This is also what my attorney told me. However, I think I remember seeing on the IR1/CR1 VJ thread someone saying they went to their interview with PCCs which were a bit older than 1 year, but less than 2, and did not have issues. 

In my case, I am a Canadian living in the US, but I have also lived a few years in the UK and Netherlands. In mid-2019, I did get PCC's from Canada, UK and NL and sent copies of them to the NVC as requested. Because I haven't gone back at all to the UK and NL since then, I did not get  a new PCC from there, but I did get a new one in March 2021 from Canada (I stupidly thought at the time that my interview would be coming anytime soon....! :)) It took about a month to get the new Canadian PCC from the RCMP, but I think that if you get fingerprinted  in Canada at a company that submits directly to the RCMP, it is quicker than that. In my case, I did it from the US and had to Fedex everything to a Canadian fingerprinting who then sent it to the RCMP. After the RCMP has the info, it takes only a few days to issue the certificate, unless they find something in their records. 

I am not sure if just going back for a short vacation to one of the countries you lived in would trigger the need to get a new PCC. If one takes literally what they say above, if you haven't gone back to LIVE in that country, you don't need a new PCC, but it is probably a grey area which leaves room for interpretation. Your attorney should be able to advise in this case. If you can get PCC's relatively easily, it would be worth getting new ones even if it just to give you some peace of mind! 

Thank you so much, @kachab! This helps a lot :)

i'm worried in cases where PCC can take longer than a month to get, and given the IL seems to arrive about a month in advance, it gives little time to get done. I guess what you did works well (where you got a new PCC in March'21 :)) Like you said, I shall contact the attorney when it comes to it.

Thank you for taking the time and responding here ! Good luck with the interview! :D

3 minutes ago, New_123 said:

Thank you so much, @kachab! This helps a lot :)

i'm worried in cases where PCC can take longer than a month to get, and given the IL seems to arrive about a month in advance, it gives little time to get done. I guess what you did works well (where you got a new PCC in March'21 :)) Like you said, I shall contact the attorney when it comes to it.

Thank you for taking the time and responding here ! Good luck with the interview! :D

Yes,  agree, waiting to get the IL may be tight to get the PCCs on time, especially the non-Canadian ones. Not sure when you are DQ'ed, but I am assuming that starting in the next month or so, the Consulate will be focusing more on resolving the EB backlog and you will get a good sense after of couple of month as to how many months worth of backlog they call for interview every month by following this thread and the consulate website. You would then be better able to guess when your turn will come and plan accordingly to get your PCC's without risking having them expiring again before getting the IL. 

Also, I saw that getting the medical done on time may be tricky...  I called the clinic in Montreal straight away after getting the IL and they initially told me that they did not have any availability before my interview but then when she checked again, she saw that someone had cancelled earlier that morning and I could get Jan 4th. Phew! The fact that they apparently do GC medicals only 2 days a week in Mlt and they are closed for a week due to the Holidays did not help, but they will surely be very booked in the next few months with the consulate booking more interviews to clear the backlogs. Definitely not something to leave at the very last minute.... Unfortunately, this is not something we can get done before getting the IL. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g about this whole process is stressful!! 

8 hours ago, kachab said:

I don't think it matters since they are not even asking for W-2's (or T-4's) in the list of documents you have to bring to the interview for EB. They basically just ask you to bring the originals of the documents you submitted to be put in the queue at the NVC (birth certificate, police clearance certificates, letter from the US employer where you are going to be working after getting the GC, etc). I would think that if not having any W-2's (hence not having worked in the US) was an issue, it would have come up in your greencard application way earlier in the process. In addition, since you are getting the green card via consular processing (outside the US), it is to be expected that one doesn't have any W-2's in that case. If you were getting it through adjustment of status within the US, then not having any W-2 would definitely be fishy! 

My attorney told me that the EB interview is basically just to check that you really are who the application claims you to be and do a last check to see there is nothing fraudulent. They are not there to re-check if you are eligible for the greencard. That was the point of all of the other steps of the process. Not much reason to lose sleep over it if you have all the documents requested and nothing comes up in your medical, the interview is just a formality at this point. At the moment, the hard  and frustrating part is getting the actual interview!! 

Thanks!! That’s bit comforting. 

On 12/22/2021 at 11:10 AM, Blueeyes1989 said:

@era101 @CycleSS Any update on your interview letter?

I also got my interview in January 19th at 7:30 am. Unfortunately, I am outside Canada on VACATION 😂. I will be back to Canada on January 10th. My main issue now is how to get the RCMP police certificate from outside Canada. I lived in USA before, do I need to submit an updated police certificate? Do I need an updated police certificate from my home country given that I only been there for no more than one month after I submitted to documents for IV?

I am trying to reschedule my appointment as a last resort.  Does anyone has some info on how to reschedule?

I hope everyone can hear from MTL very soon. Thanks!

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, era101 said:

I also got my interview in January 19th at 7:30 am. Unfortunately, I am outside Canada on VACATION 😂. I will be back to Canada on January 10th. My main issue now is how to get the RCMP police certificate from outside Canada. I lived in USA before, do I need to submit an updated police certificate? Do I need an updated police certificate from my home country given that I only been there for no more than one month after I submitted to documents for IV?

I am trying to reschedule my appointment as a last resort.  Does anyone has some info on how to reschedule?

I hope everyone can hear from MTL very soon. Thanks!

Did your Canada PCC expired (currently the validity is 2 years)? If yours is within 2 years you should be fine.

I will highly advice against rescheduling. I saw this over and over again in IR1/CR1 thread that it takes them 5 months to reschedule. Check with lawyer if appearing for interview with old PCC is an option. I doubt MTL will deny the case. Mostly likely they will issue RFE in which case you just need to submit the document later.

Get your RCMP done on 11th Jan maybe. If you are lucky it might arrive soon. Mine came within a week.

5 hours ago, viksaw said:

Did your Canada PCC expired (currently the validity is 2 years)? If yours is within 2 years you should be fine.

I will highly advice against rescheduling. I saw this over and over again in IR1/CR1 thread that it takes them 5 months to reschedule. Check with lawyer if appearing for interview with old PCC is an option. I doubt MTL will deny the case. Mostly likely they will issue RFE in which case you just need to submit the document later.

Get your RCMP done on 11th Jan maybe. If you are lucky it might arrive soon. Mine came within a week.

I haven't never done the PCC before. A 5 months delay isn't an issue for me. 

I am looking for RCMP companies that can take ink fingerprints and convert it into digital one, this is an option stated on RCMP website but they didn't give much details about those companies. 

With current circumstances and in case I have to quarantine upon returning to Canada, rescheduling is the best option. At least, I can enjoy my vacation. 

I registered my interview appointment on the website, yet I am still struggling on how to reschedule following the given instruction. Anyone has some info on how to reschedule?

4 hours ago, era101 said:

I am looking for RCMP companies that can take ink fingerprints and convert it into digital one, this is an option stated on RCMP website but they didn't give much details about those companies. 

With current circumstances and in case I have to quarantine upon returning to Canada, rescheduling is the best option. At least, I can enjoy my vacation. 

I registered my interview appointment on the website, yet I am still struggling on how to reschedule following the given instruction. Anyone has some info on how to reschedule?

Careful with rescheduling. There are 2 posters I read about on this site that had to wait several months after their initial interview date to get another appointment at MTL.

Edited by pow123

7 hours ago, era101 said:

Hi @era101. Congrats for your appointment!

I did get my RCMP PCC from outside of Canada back in March through this company https://www.canadianfingerprints.com/. I had to first email them to request the fingerprinting package. They emailed me a few forms to fill out and the fingerprinting sheet that I had to print out and bring to my local police station to get fingerprinted onto.  I then Fedex'ed them everything and they scanned and sent my fingerprints to the RCMP. It took about 3-4 weeks to get the PCC, but there were snow storms at the time and it took a while for Fedex to deliver my documents. Also, it wasn't easy to get an appointment at the police station because of covid (they were not doing walk-ins anymore). After the fingerprinting company had received everything, it was quick to get the PCC. With this in mind and considering the holidays, I would think you may not save much time by doing all that abroad vs waiting until you get back from vacation and make a PCC request from within Canada. 

• 2 weeks later...

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Blueeyes1989 said:

Let's see if we get IL this week. IR/CR are current till Oct 2021. I don't see much inventory there. Also, K1/K2 just got their case transferred from NVC to Embassy on 01/04/22. Hence the only other remaining ILs will be F2B and EB. 

Here’s a brief timeline for K-visa, https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=&op1=3&op2=d&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5,6,8,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,20,21,22,25,26,27,28,108,110,111,208,210,211&op6=All&op66=&op7=Canada&dfile=No&adv=0

IMHO, basically, there’re the cases DQed from Mar. 2021 to Oct. 2021. 

Edited by andy@wpg

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Latest update off of consulates website.  Still saying October 2019 for EB visas….  😞

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

At least it’s still a green circle considering what’s going on in Montreal.  

Edited by dcisw

9 hours ago, dcisw said:

Latest update off of consulates website.  Still saying October 2019 for EB visas….  😞

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

At least it’s still a green circle considering what’s going on in Montreal.  

Has anyone's status on CEAC changed from at NVC to READY TO BE SCHEDULED?  If not then, what is the likelihood that any of us will get ILs for February? 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

Has anyone's status on CEAC changed from at NVC to READY TO BE SCHEDULED?  If not then, what is the likelihood that any of us will get ILs for February? 

Just checked mine and still says AT NVC.  I'm Jan 2020 DQ.  Fingers crossed.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.