cyclone27

Amazing - MIL Approved

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My MIL interviews for her tourist visa a week from today and your story gives me encouragement. Like yours she is...

Not married, unemployed, very small bank acct, no property, no foreign travel.

Hoping that her pension that she receives and having an adult son remaining in Colombia are marks in her favor.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, cyclone27 said:

MIL had her interview on Friday and she was approved. I must admit I was surprised since I was expecting to the direct opposite.

No property 

No Business 

Recent Widow

No employment 

Small Bank Account

Foreign travel limited to SEA, HK, and Taiwan.

Wife’s family hired an agent in HCMC to do all the leg work. Agent requested I submit paperwork to sponsor.(I134 and supporting  docs) I did this to keep the peace but I know that you can’t sponsor tourist visa. 

Any rate it was a good result but I am totally shocked. Hence the MIL will be over for a month in July. 

What exactly is this process? I've never heard of anyone in 35 yrs coming from VN on a tourist visa until the past few years and then only less than handful.  Whats the cost / risk associated w/ this?  We used a Group out of CA/VN called FCG to help with the initial K1 process.  I dont think my MiL would be alble to manage the paperwork on her own w/o some assistance.

I know its tough she'd like to meet her grandson and she has a granddaughter (locally in VN due soon) and we're also expecting our 2nd (then I. AM. DONE.) but I'm sure she'd love to meet them sooner than I think we can make it back for a visit which would be far more e expensive

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
44 minutes ago, heo luoi said:

What exactly is this process? I've never heard of anyone in 35 yrs coming from VN on a tourist visa until the past few years and then only less than handful.  Whats the cost / risk associated w/ this?  We used a Group out of CA/VN called FCG to help with the initial K1 process.  I dont think my MiL would be alble to manage the paperwork on her own w/o some assistance.

I know its tough she'd like to meet her grandson and she has a granddaughter (locally in VN due soon) and we're also expecting our 2nd (then I. AM. DONE.) but I'm sure she'd love to meet them sooner than I think we can make it back for a visit which would be far more e expensive

This visa denial rate is probably better than you're imagining.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf

For Vietnam it's 22% which is very similar to Colombia's at 21%. I think it's difficult for young adults and easier for older adults closer to retirement. You can help her fill out the application but no letter or documentation authored by you will help her case. She applies on her own. My own mother in law was granted her tourist visa in June. She used a firm in Colombia that helps locals with the application and interview. Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

19 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

This visa denial rate is probably better than you're imagining.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY17.pdf

For Vietnam it's 22% which is very similar to Colombia's at 21%. I think it's difficult for young adults and easier for older adults closer to retirement. You can help her fill out the application but no letter or documentation authored by you will help her case. She applies on her own. My own mother in law was granted her tourist visa in June. She used a firm in Colombia that helps locals with the application and interview. Good luck.

Vietnam is 24% not 22% but obviously yes that means 76% of applications are approved, which translated to a little over 128000 people, hardly no one! 

Issuance stats: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2017AnnualReport/FY17AnnualReport -TableXVIII.pdf

If it’s just the English that is an issue than agree poster heo luoi should be able to help MIL, paperwork is not onerous.

• 8 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Update - MIL approved for second tourist visa for 2.5 months. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

On 9/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, heo luoi said:

My wife's and my relatives have been coming to US with tourist visa for the past decade. 

Cost:

• Visa fee is unavoidable
  • Service fee to hire people doing the paperwork: my relative got his visa this April with $70 (we could do it for him but he insisted)
  • $25-$100 for transportation, logging if travel to consulate is needed

Others:

• Decision is made right after the interview (which only takes 2-3 mins)
  • Visa is normally issued within 2-3 business days after interview
  • Decision seems to be based on DS-160, interview is just for the result.

Edited by nguoivietnam2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.