bcking

Man to Spanish speakers at New York restaurant: 'My next call is to ICE'

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Apparently this was not a one time "I was having a terrible day" situation. https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-lawyers-restaurant-meltdown-wasnt-his-first-rodeo/

Just now, Jacque67 said:

I saw that.

There is also someone getting people to submit complaints to the NY bar arguing he has violated ethical codes.

Sadly I don't think that will work but I don't really know for sure. For Doctors you can get in trouble for behavior outside of your practice but it's mostly stuff like DUIs and such. I'm not sure being a ignorant douche on your private time qualifies for professional discipline, sadly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
23 minutes ago, bcking said:

I saw that.

There is also someone getting people to submit complaints to the NY bar arguing he has violated ethical codes.

Sadly I don't think that will work but I don't really know for sure. For Doctors you can get in trouble for behavior outside of your practice but it's mostly stuff like DUIs and such. I'm not sure being a ignorant douche on your private time qualifies for professional discipline, sadly.

He'll probably survive, though he might see a sudden drop in Hispanic clients. Dude needs anger management classes. Wonder what he'll be doing next Cinco de Mayo?

4 hours ago, Jacque67 said:

He'll probably survive, though he might see a sudden drop in Hispanic clients. Dude needs anger management classes. Wonder what he'll be doing next Cinco de Mayo?

Really, REALLY unlikely he will be disbarred. The big thing the state regulators worry about is dishonesty, deceit, embezzlement, fraud, etc. Anything going towards honesty, especially where a client is involved. Being a douche doesn't mean you're dishonest, it just means you're a bigoted douche. There is an argument that his behavior negatively reflects on his fitness as a lawyer, but meh. I think what's most likely is that he'll get a formal or informal Strongly Worded Letter from the regulator and that's about it. If he were discriminating against Hispanic people as part of his practice of law, on the other hand, would get him in big trouble. 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
16 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Really, REALLY unlikely he will be disbarred. The big thing the state regulators worry about is dishonesty, deceit, embezzlement, fraud, etc. Anything going towards honesty, especially where a client is involved. Being a douche doesn't mean you're dishonest, it just means you're a bigoted douche. There is an argument that his behavior negatively reflects on his fitness as a lawyer, but meh. I think what's most likely is that he'll get a formal or informal Strongly Worded Letter from the regulator and that's about it. If he were discriminating against Hispanic people as part of his practice of law, on the other hand, would get him in big trouble. 

How come there are any Lawyers?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Totes.

quite the catch in his breitbart t-shirt and MAGA cap, doncha thunk?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tasneemnashrulla/new-york-lawyer-aaron-schlossberg

Timeline
1 minute ago, elmcitymaven said:

Because without them, there wouldn't be lawyer jokes.

Does not seem a very good trade.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, elmcitymaven said:

Because without them, there wouldn't be lawyer jokes.

99% of all lawyers give the rest a bad name.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

19 hours ago, bcking said:

With some exceptions I do generally agree with that. I think people end up finding communities of people of similar descent and while that eases the transition, it also serves to keep them 'separate' from the rest of our culture. It would be like if I moved to Southern France specifically to a neighborhood of American expats. I'd feel generally more comfortable since the people are "like me", but I would also be keeping myself somewhat isolated from the rest of the culture.

My exceptions would be the elderly. Now some here may say "Why should they even come to the USA in the first place? They don't contribute and are a waste of resources" but I strongly believe in family unity. I think it makes those who are contributing more productive and even if there isn't an economic argument for it I believe it is the morally right thing to support. If parents/grandparents are brought here and are of retirement age while I wouldn't discourage them from learning the language and assimilating, I could understand that it would be much more difficult for them.

But the 45 year old woman who moved here 20 years ago but still doesn't speak any English? That just seems strange to me.

The case here was none of that though. This was entirely the ignorance of one overly privileged white "American".

My sister regularly deals with patients that have lived here a long time (came younger, now elderly) and still speak limited or no English. They do have understanding of some English, but will not speak it. In Baltimore it's very common as the place was always pretty diverse. Usually the office has to coordinate and provide translators in some cases, but sometimes they show up with no one that can speak English to help them. And we'll of course always remember an employee that lasted about a year, that did speak English. Her problem was her grasp of understanding it. That can be difficult for some people, and it was difficult for her as well.

My German ancestors did not tend to speak English for a long time after they came here. They still managed to maintain successful businesses and relationships (and I find that still happens with a lot of immigrants today). My grandfather's grandmother and mother spoke German and broken English almost exclusively. For many I think it has a lot to do with pride in not wanting to fail, or not wanting to sound like an idiot or insulting another person's language. To become extremely fluent to the point where there is a lot of skill involved would take a person years to accomplish. Most of our ancestors didn't sit down and take classes to learn.. they just sort of picked things up. But for some of those that came with very different dialogues or not very similar languages, I can imagine it would be even harder to pick up without heavy learning.

My husband has a very thick non-typical English accent that most Americans have never heard before, and they become quite confused. The longer he stays here his accent has flattened a bit, and he's forced himself to become less 'broguey' because when someone doesn't understand English, what else can you do?

Some people just seem to expect that the only immigrant that can contribute should speak clear fluent English 24-7 as soon as they step over the border. That's simply impossible. It wasn't true for our ancestors and shouldn't be for them now.

People like this guy are trash. But there's more like him. I don't like that he's receiving attention because of it. Ultimately it's probably what his ego wants... and he deserves nothing but to be forgotten.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

7 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

My husband has a very thick non-typical English accent that most Americans have never heard before, and they become quite confused. The longer he stays here his accent has flattened a bit, and he's forced himself to become less 'broguey' because when someone doesn't understand English, what else can you do?

Some people just seem to expect that the only immigrant that can contribute should speak clear fluent English 24-7 as soon as they step over the border. That's simply impossible. It wasn't true for our ancestors and shouldn't be for them now.

My wife has a very understandable English accent...not like a strong Yorkshire accent or anything. She grew up in Wiltshire and went to Grammar school so it's a mix of Southwest and RP. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

And yet...she has run into several situations where she is speaking English just like everyone else but people don't understand her. She got stuck at a starbucks drive through the other day trying to order a croissant. That's not even an English word, but I'm sure you know how people in the UK tend to pronounce words based on the origin of the word (especially French words seem to keep their French pronunciation more often in the UK). The woman could not understand her. They ended up getting 2 other people on the phone system to try to understand her. She tried it her way, and then she even tried to "Americanize" it (Called it a "Cru-saunt") and they couldn't get it. She ended up saying it was the flaky pastry that sometimes has chocolate in it, but without chocolate. 

--------------

Absolutely I agree. It can be challenging. You come over and you want to focus on succeeding. If there are ways to do that in your native language, of course you are going to take it. After a certain point though, I think it is reasonable to expect the language to develop. If I lived in France for 10 years I would expect to be fairly conversational. My sister has lived in Germany for 2 years and while she is by no means fluent she speaks it predominantly when she goes out.

Edited by bcking

Timeline

Bain au Chocolat without the Chocolat.

I have had to correct a number of Muricans, one was actually travelling with a French friend and she came by and I asked her to say it, lesson learned.

You have to keep on trying, they will never learn otherwise.