bcking

Man to Spanish speakers at New York restaurant: 'My next call is to ICE'

48 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, bcking said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/us/new-york-man-restaurant-ice-threat/index.html

If Trump is looking for another lawyer for his team, here is a good candidate for him. :jest:

This has something to do with Trump why ? I thought you told me you don't mind joking around but you like statements to be factual ?

7 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

This has something to do with Trump why ? I thought you told me you don't mind joking around but you like statements to be factual ?

It was a joke dude. You've pointed out that we make them here quite a bit. I'm trying to join the club. Trump has been short on legal staff lately. He recently hired one New York Lawyer (Giuliani) that has similar views to him, and I'm just suggesting another one if he is in the market for more legal counsel. 

If you really want to nitpick I did start it with "if", so I didn't claim it was a fact that he was looking. This guy being a "good candidate" is clearly my own opinion, and therefore isn't subject to "fact checking". The Trump team obviously reserves the right to decide for themselves whether or not he fits their criteria. I'm not claiming anyone else called him a good candidate. It's just my own opinion. There were no facts being claimed in my statement.

Edited by bcking

4 minutes ago, bcking said:

It was a joke dude. You've pointed out that we make them here quite a bit. I'm trying to join the club. Trump has been short on legal staff lately. He recently hired one New York Lawyer (Giuliani) that has similar views to him, and I'm just suggesting another one if he is in the market for more legal counsel. 

If you really want to nitpick I did start it with "if", so I didn't claim it was a fact that he was looking. This guy being a "good candidate" is clearly my own opinion, and therefore isn't subject to "fact checking". The Trump team obviously reserves the right to decide for themselves whether or not he fits their criteria. I'm not claiming anyone else called him a good candidate. It's just my own opinion. There were no facts being claimed in my statement.

Welcome to the joke club brother :jest:

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Welcome to the joke club brother :jest:

I'm trying!

On the topic of the actual article -

The thing that gets me the most is he wasn't even complaining about wait staff speaking to HIM in Spanish when he was ordering. He overheard a couple communicating with the staff in Spanish when they were ordering and somehow that offended him. I don't get that. If I were in midtown Manhattan I would absolutely expect employees to be able to communicate with me in English (sadly I don't speak additional languages yet...trying to learn), but I don't see what the problem is when they communicate with other people in a different language? Clearly everyone involved also spoke English so he was somehow angry that they spoke multiple languages.

Oh I guess a close second is the fact that because they were speaking Spanish he figured it was reasonable to assume that they were immigrants, and illegal ones at that. He also assumed they were all on welfare without knowing anything about the people ordering lunch, and at least knowing that the employee was actively working at that time...

Edited by bcking

7 minutes ago, bcking said:

I'm trying!

On the topic of the actual article -

The thing that gets me the most is he wasn't even complaining about wait staff speaking to HIM in Spanish when he was ordering. He overheard a couple communicating with the staff in Spanish when they were ordering and somehow that offended him. I don't get that. If I were in midtown Manhattan I would absolutely expect employees to be able to communicate with me in English (sadly I don't speak additional languages yet...trying to learn), but I don't see what the problem is when they communicate with other people in a different language? Clearly everyone involved also spoke English so he was somehow angry that they spoke multiple languages.

Oh I guess a close second is the fact that because they were speaking Spanish he figured it was reasonable to assume that they were immigrants, and illegal ones at that. He also assumed they were all on welfare without knowing anything about the people ordering lunch, and at least knowing that the employee was actively working at that time...

I agree he was out of line. At parties, with friends, on the phone etc, my wife usually speaks another language. I just tune it out. We were in North Ga. Several rednecks in front of us had a shirts that read speak English or leave or something like that.  Her whole group was speaking Tagalog very loud. Got a kick out of that 

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I agree he was out of line. At parties, with friends, on the phone etc, my wife usually speaks another language. I just tune it out. We were in North Ga. Several rednecks in front of us had a shirts that read speak English or leave or something like that.  Her whole group was speaking Tagalog very loud. Got a kick out of that 

It happens at work a lot. In NYC there were all sorts of languages, here in Houston it is mostly Spanish. 95% of the time when I enter the conservation they switch to English. I'm honestly jealous of them for the most part that they are able to do that. I find it very impressive.

As I said I probably would have been a bit annoyed if I was ordering food myself and they were speaking Spanish...but if it's clear that the person working and the person ordering are both native Spanish speakers I don't see a problem with them speaking in that language. Doesn't mean they are immigrants, or illegal ones at that (heck they could have been visiting from another country).

I'd love to see him visit somewhere like France and have someone yell at him when he orders in English to a waiter who happens to speak English. "This is France, you must speak French!". He didn't even know if they were just visiting.

3 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I don't have a problem with people speaking another language. My wife also speaks Tagalog with her friends. What I do have a problem with is people coming here who don't make an effort to learn English and instead expect others to accomidate their lack of English skills.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Sad and disgusting waste of a human being that has a history of being verbally abusive to lots of people.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

33 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I don't have a problem with people speaking another language. My wife also speaks Tagalog with her friends. What I do have a problem with is people coming here who don't make an effort to learn English and instead expect others to accomidate their lack of English skills.

With some exceptions I do generally agree with that. I think people end up finding communities of people of similar descent and while that eases the transition, it also serves to keep them 'separate' from the rest of our culture. It would be like if I moved to Southern France specifically to a neighborhood of American expats. I'd feel generally more comfortable since the people are "like me", but I would also be keeping myself somewhat isolated from the rest of the culture.

My exceptions would be the elderly. Now some here may say "Why should they even come to the USA in the first place? They don't contribute and are a waste of resources" but I strongly believe in family unity. I think it makes those who are contributing more productive and even if there isn't an economic argument for it I believe it is the morally right thing to support. If parents/grandparents are brought here and are of retirement age while I wouldn't discourage them from learning the language and assimilating, I could understand that it would be much more difficult for them.

But the 45 year old woman who moved here 20 years ago but still doesn't speak any English? That just seems strange to me.

The case here was none of that though. This was entirely the ignorance of one overly privileged white "American".

Edited by bcking

Always amuses me when Americans are abroad and complain that people refuse to speak English to them, yet come back here and complain when people don't speak English

Edited by Randyandyuni

4 hours ago, bcking said:

It happens at work a lot. In NYC there were all sorts of languages, here in Houston it is mostly Spanish. 95% of the time when I enter the conservation they switch to English. I'm honestly jealous of them for the most part that they are able to do that. I find it very impressive.

As I said I probably would have been a bit annoyed if I was ordering food myself and they were speaking Spanish...but if it's clear that the person working and the person ordering are both native Spanish speakers I don't see a problem with them speaking in that language. Doesn't mean they are immigrants, or illegal ones at that (heck they could have been visiting from another country).

I'd love to see him visit somewhere like France and have someone yell at him when he orders in English to a waiter who happens to speak English. "This is France, you must speak French!". He didn't even know if they were just visiting.

Oh for sure, when my wife encounters a Filipino clerk etc, that sure dont speak English. 

I am with you. I am glad the people in the Philippines are so welcome to English.