53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

What if your home country strips you of your rights like to own land, vote and work if you become a US Citizen.

You can stay with your Green Card ... but there are risks .. that's all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
11 minutes ago, barashka said:

You're totally right about that. If you end up becoming a U.S. citizen, then you don't have to worry about all that paperwork and money being spent. What is the form to renew your residency status, anyways (just curious)?

Like others said, it's not just money but many other things like if you want to travel abroad with your GC, when you return to US you have to know that only an US citizen has guaranteed entry. As Green Card holder you can have your entry denied. It can happen.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted#Renewing

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

A senior citizen who has a heart attack while being in a normal accident.  It is still manslaughter.  I say this because this does happen. It is unfortunate.

I'd like to be the lawyer on that one.  I would have a field day

if the person causes bodily harm to another as a result of operating a motor vehicle:

(1) in a grossly negligent manner;

(2) in a negligent manner while under the influence of:

(i) alcohol;

(ii) a controlled substance; or

(iii) any combination of those elements;

(3) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more;

(4) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more, as measured within two hours of the time of driving;

(5) in a negligent manner while knowingly under the influence of a hazardous substance;

(6) in a negligent manner while any amount of a controlled substance listed in Schedule I or II, or its metabolite, other than marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinols, is present in the person's body;

(7) where the driver who causes the accident leaves the scene of the accident 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

What if your home country strips you of your rights like to own land, vote and work if you become a US Citizen.

Interesting. Thanks God my home country accept dual citizenship so those things you mention are not a possibility there. I can still vote in the ARG elections, work and own a land as long as I show them the green dough they will take it with gusto. :D  I can not speak for other countries.

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

I'd like to be the lawyer on that one.  I would have a field day

if the person causes bodily harm to another as a result of operating a motor vehicle:

(1) in a grossly negligent manner;

(2) in a negligent manner while under the influence of:

(i) alcohol;

(ii) a controlled substance; or

(iii) any combination of those elements;

(3) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more;

(4) while having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more, as measured within two hours of the time of driving;

(5) in a negligent manner while knowingly under the influence of a hazardous substance;

(6) in a negligent manner while any amount of a controlled substance listed in Schedule I or II, or its metabolite, other than marijuana or tetrahydrocannabinols, is present in the person's body;

(7) where the driver who causes the accident leaves the scene of the accident 

Having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 is extremely possible and be in a simple rear end accident ... The point is that it has happened.  It is unfortunate. 

Timeline
Just now, Jupifer said:

Having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 is extremely possible and be in a simple rear end accident ... The point is that it has happened.  It is unfortunate. 

My point is and always has been negligence.  Having a 0.08 BAC shows negligence.  Having a heart attack does not

YMMV

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

Like others said, it's not just money but many other things like if you want to travel abroad with your GC, when you return to US you have to know that only an US citizen has guaranteed entry. As Green Card holder you can have your entry denied. It can happen.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted#Renewing

The point is as a Green Card holder there is "higher risk" of things happening such that you are deported or denied entry.  My Russian wife is absolutely going to be a dual citizen even though President P has signed a decree that all dual citizens have to register as dual citizens with RF Dept of Migration.  Obviously a list meant to cause difficulties. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

My point is and always has been negligence.  Having a 0.08 BAC shows negligence.  Having a heart attack does not

Having a heart attack by another passenger causes the manslaughter in a seemingly normal accident after having two beers.  

Edited by Jupifer

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

Having a heart attack by another passenger causes the manslaughter in a seemingly normal accident after having two beers.  

Now you are adding facts not previously in evidence.  It is not the heart attack (as originally posted) but the alcohol consumption which presumably puts them under the influence

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Now you are adding facts not previously in evidence.  It is not the heart attack (as originally posted) but the alcohol consumption which presumably puts them under the influence

Without writing a dissertation, my point was the manslaughter can happen in a normal accident.  Manslaughter can get you some jail time and probably deported if a GC holder.  The point is that there is higher risk as a GC holder.  It looks like you with have the last word by continuing to respond.

Jupiter,

To answer your initial question, yes, a person can be a lifelong permanent resident. There are pros and cons to everything though.

This post reminded me a story I read a few years ago. It was of an immigrant that was a permanent resident for over 30 years. Never naturalized, just kept renewing his 10 year green card. Well, I guess old age and being used to living in the US so long must have caught up with him because he forgot to renew his green card the last time it was to expire. He spent years living in the US with an expired green card without remembering. Eventually, he was preparing to travel and a family member noticed that his GC was expired by several years. They had to scramble to get everything straightened out and nothing happened to him in the end but it is just an example of how constantly maintaining the status could eventually become a hassle.

Just food for thought.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

49 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

You can stay with your Green Card ... but there are risks .. that's all

My nephew married a girl from Philippines.

When she got her US Citizenship she lost her Filipino Citizenship

She lost a lot of rights in Philippines.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunnyland said:

Interesting. Thanks God my home country accept dual citizenship so those things you mention are not a possibility there. I can still vote in the ARG elections, work and own a land as long as I show them the green dough they will take it with gusto. :D  I can not speak for other countries.

Philippines as well! Yay!

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

My nephew married a girl from Philippines.

When she got her US Citizenship she lost her Filipino Citizenship

She lost a lot of rights in Philippines.

Shame on her for not going and registering to get it back

YMMV

9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Shame on her for not going and registering to get it back

Is there a way to be a citizen in both without any problems?

Edited by barashka

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.