9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, my wife and I wish to move from our current home in the UK to my wife's hometown of Philadelphia. She has full US citizenship as she lived there her entire life until moving to the UK in 2010. My children (18 and 15 years old) and I were born and raised in the UK and they will be moving with us. We considered hiring a lawyer to help with the visa process but having spoken to a couple of law firms, we were shocked at the exorbitant fees they charge. And that's how we discovered VisaJourney! We've researched the visa process and have a basic understanding of what we need to do and would like some advice and tips on how to get through the visa process as quickly and painlessly as possible. We'd also be grateful for advice on any pitfalls we should avoid! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Srckmc said:

Hi, my wife and I wish to move from our current home in the UK to my wife's hometown of Philadelphia. She has full US citizenship as she lived there her entire life until moving to the UK in 2010. My children (18 and 15 years old) and I were born and raised in the UK and they will be moving with us. We considered hiring a lawyer to help with the visa process but having spoken to a couple of law firms, we were shocked at the exorbitant fees they charge. And that's how we discovered VisaJourney! We've researched the visa process and have a basic understanding of what we need to do and would like some advice and tips on how to get through the visa process as quickly and painlessly as possible. We'd also be grateful for advice on any pitfalls we should avoid! 

Direct Consular Filing in London would be the fastest way.......   http://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

*~*~*moved from "work visas" to "DCF" as this is the most appropriate category for the OP's situation*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

There's a UK user on here, @Sylv, who is currently going through the DCF process at the London embassy. He's been responsive to questions and generally active on the board. If you look through the DCF forum you'll find several posts by him. It couldn't hurt to reach out to him for some guidance since he has the freshest knowledge regarding DCF in the UK.

And as others mentioned, a lawyer shouldn't be needed unless the beneficiaries have previously run afoul of the US (think visa overstays or criminal activity). DCF is he fastest way to immigrate to the US, clocking in at around 3 months. The non DCF route takes 12-14 months.

Edited by Jorge V

DCF Mexico

06/04/2017: Married

06/24/2017: Mailed I-130

06/27/2017: NOA1 (technically a RFE as we were missing beneficiary ID)

07/06/2017: NOA2

07/12/2017: Case assigned by Juarez embassy

07/17/2017: Packet 3 received

08/15/2017: Interview/Approval!

08/22/2017: Visa received via DHL

09/03/2017: POE

09/16/2017: Permanent Resident Card received

Total days from NOA1 to approval: 49

I wrote a DCF Mexico guide! http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php?title=DCF_Mexico

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

London has DCF and it should be fast and painless. Your case sounds like a pretty straight forward case, just fill out paperwork and submit it, no need to spend all that money in lawyer fees. Save it for USCIS fees. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Also it’s worth mentioning that should you encounter any issues filling out paperwork, you come back here and search the forums and ask people. Someone here will always have an answer for whatever question. 

29 minutes ago, Jorge V said:

There's a UK user on here, @Sylv, who is currently going through the DCF process at the London embassy. .

Hi! 

I'm so glad you found this forum Srckmc, It has helped me so much!

The guys are right, DCF is the best and quickest route for you, without a doubt, and forget these lawyer fees, they make mistake just like everyone else, only theirs are expensive!

My wife has been in the UK since 2009, but I have no children. It's basically the same route though.

Check my posts, and then ask what you need on this DCF part of the forums, and if i can help in anyway, I will, just like all the others :D

(I keep my signature updated)

I wish you and you lil family the best journey!!!

:clock:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Applying for IR1 through DCF London.

===============================

12/22/2017 Form i-130 posted!

DELAY: CHRISTMAS

12/28/2017 Notice of Receipt

DELAY: NEW YEAR

03/14/2018 Request For Evidence

03/28/2018 USCIS received Docs

DELAY: EASTER

04/17/2018 Petition I-130 Approved!

DELAY: SPONSOR CHANGE

05/10/2018 DS-260 Completed

07/16/2018 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07/18/2018 Visa is being printed

07/23/2018 all posted and in my hand!

THANK GOD 🙋‍♂️

This is where you'll start for DCF through London: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/

As it says on that page, give London's instructions priority over the general instructions or instructions from other consulates. And if in any doubt, ask here. But then check the answer is related to London DCF. ;-)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you all so much! You've been incredibly helpful and supportive! I had no idea about the DCF option till this week but I'll definitely be using this route. I really appreciate all of you for taking an active interest in me and my family 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.