Nemeseax

POE officers

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline

Not sure where to put this topic so trying here. 

A few days ago have read somewhere an interview with one CPB officer. Among all things said there one has " caught my eye ".He has said " everybody with non immigrant visa trying to come in our country is automatically suspicious as we think they want to work illegaly or live here.Even people with good works in their home country ".

I know that we re all guilty until we proove we are not; but does that make sense to you - people with good works comming here to live secretly and work underpayed jobs?

Have you ever got such an experience while travelling  ( I must say, never any problems).Have you been at secondary inspection?And what are your opinions about POE and all what is happening there? 

I am US citizen, I get secondary ever time I have came back from Philippines the last 10 trips.  I have been told it was because I travel out of the USA to Philippines on a regular basis. I only go about 2 times per year.  They think I am drug smuggler I was told

They ask the same questions. Where do you work, how are you able to travel so much, do you have cash you didn't report, some times they ask me to empty my pockets, and of course they look thru my luggage.  

When I came back with my fiance my last trip, The CBP officer asked me if I had filed my income taxes, which I thought was a tad strange.  She then told me to go to my local USCIS in Dallas after I was married to adjust status, I said ok.  It's been about 20 years since that was the process.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

A few days ago have read somewhere an interview with one CPB officer. Among all things said there one has " caught my eye ".He has said " everybody with non immigrant visa trying to come in our country is automatically suspicious as we think they want to work illegaly or live here.Even people with good works in their home country ".

I know that we re all guilty until we proove we are not; but does that make sense to you - people with good works comming here to live secretly and work underpayed jobs?

Have you ever got such an experience while travelling  ( I must say, never any problems).Have you been at secondary inspection?And what are your opinions about POE and all what is happening there? 

It does make sense to me that they would hold even those with good jobs with the same level of suspicion as everyone else.  I would hope they continue to do that.

I have been in secondary inspection a few times for various reasons.  POE officers have a hard job and for the most part are fair and reasonable (in my personal experience).  

The worst experience I had at POE secondary was due to my then almost-3-year-old daughter, who at the counter loudly proclaimed repeatedly that I was NOT her mother, and she did NOT know who I was while physically pulling away from me, and then began crying and begging the customs officer to "help her find her daddy".

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

It does make sense to me that they would hold even those with good jobs with the same level of suspicion as everyone else.  I would hope they continue to do that.

I have been in secondary inspection a few times for various reasons.  POE officers have a hard job and for the most part are fair and reasonable (in my personal experience).  

The worst experience I had at POE secondary was due to my then almost-3-year-old daughter, who at the counter loudly proclaimed repeatedly that I was NOT her mother, and she did NOT know who I was while physically pulling away from me, and then began crying and begging the customs officer to "help her find her daddy".

Wow, that sounds embarrassing. That's a story you can use against your daughter for the rest of her life. Poor girl. :P

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
1 hour ago, Russ&Caro said:

Wow, that sounds embarrassing. That's a story you can use against your daughter for the rest of her life. Poor girl. :P

Embarrassment is not the emotion I felt when border officials immediately assumed I just kidnapped a child.  

Worry over "how am I supposed to prove I'm her mother" crossed my mind first.

The feeling of wanting to wring her neck came second.

When they brought her back to me at the end of questioning her breath smelled like BBQ chips, so at least one of us had a more enjoyable time.  

And yes, I've used it against her already since she's 11 now. :) 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
3 hours ago, Going through said:

Wow such embarrasing experience with your daughter! 

I have never been in secondary but I  don't see the sense why would they suspect  ( for instance) some sucessful business man from UK or Germany, Iceland etc.Why would that people leave their families, friends and career in order to wash dishes in some bad restaurant? 

And I don't believe that employers are that crazy about illegal workers. Well that are just my thoughts, maybe I am wrong but I hope that will stop with that.Anyway after few hours they release honest people who just miss another plane and money. Unecessary. 

6 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

I want to speak on the above bold part. What is underpaying jobs here in the US can provide a good source of income in another country. If a person has family that can set them up with room and board while they work under the table (without paying taxes) for a few weeks to save up a few thousand dollars, it could be more than what they would make in a year.

My wife has a college degree from her country and was working as an account manager in an office for Claro, which is one of the biggest Telecommunication companies in the Caribbean and South America. Still, her income was roughly the equivalent to $400 a month (she could reach about $500 with extra work she did). She now has a manual labor job here in the US grossing $2500 monthly. While that is not upper class income by US standards, it is about 6 times more than what she was making in her country.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
17 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

I want to speak on the above bold part. What is underpaying jobs here in the US can provide a good source of income in another country. If a person has family that can set them up with room and board while they work under the table (without paying taxes) for a few weeks to save up a few thousand dollars, it could be more than what they would make in a year.

My wife has a college degree from her country and was working as an account manager in an office for Claro, which is one of the biggest Telecommunication companies in the Caribbean and South America. Still, her income was roughly the equivalent to $400 a month (she could reach about $500 with extra work she did). She now has a manual labor job here in the US grossing $2500 monthly. While that is not upper class income by US standards, it is about 6 times more than what she was making in her country.

I understand that depends on standards in certain country  ( your wife's example shows that).My question was more about people from countries with good or even higher standards then USA. Sorry , have forgotten to specify.

And I got an  impression that they think someone just step on American soil and voila- a lot of illegal job offers appear. As have written, that are just some of my thoughts and I consider myself still as  just one curios beginner in all of that  ( immigration, living here , laws, etc) .So I really hope you will excuse my curiosity. 

42 minutes ago, Nemeseax said:

I understand that depends on standards in certain country  ( your wife's example shows that).My question was more about people from countries with good or even higher standards then USA. Sorry , have forgotten to specify.

And I got an  impression that they think someone just step on American soil and voila- a lot of illegal job offers appear. As have written, that are just some of my thoughts and I consider myself still as  just one curios beginner in all of that  ( immigration, living here , laws, etc) .So I really hope you will excuse my curiosity. 

It is a good topic. Nothing wrong with being curious. It is the best form of education.

For the countries that have good or higher standards than the US, you may find that they not only have a lower refusal rate for visitor visa but also may not even be required to even have a visa. You can view the countries that are listed that have ESTA/VWP and notice some similarities.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

It is a good topic. Nothing wrong with being curious. It is the best form of education.

For the countries that have good or higher standards than the US, you may find that they not only have a lower refusal rate for visitor visa but also may not even be required to even have a visa. You can view the countries that are listed that have ESTA/VWP and notice some similarities.

I know that; I am Scandinavian and our life standards are ( I dare to say) high.Anyway have heard the stories that people from VWP countries sometimes have to go to secondary and have been asked if they were thinking of find some illegal job. So therefore my topic - I am surprised, according how much time take secondary officers to do that detailed questioning and finally they release that people.

So would be nice to share such experiences if you have some. 

Timeline

What I always found to be odd...every time I've been in secondary was AFTER becoming an LPR, not before.  Was only asked about work once before becoming an LPR---after officer questioned how I could put aside 2 months time for a vacation (at the time I was unemployed, so told him so)---but that was not in secondary.  I don''t think he was assuming I was looking to work illegally in the US either, or overstay.

Timeline

That seems to be very strange. Always thought that LPR are on somehow " higher level " according to crossing the border. 

50 minutes ago, Going through said:

What I always found to be odd...every time I've been in secondary was AFTER becoming an LPR, not before.  Was only asked about work once before becoming an LPR---after officer questioned how I could put aside 2 months time for a vacation (at the time I was unemployed, so told him so)---but that was not in secondary.  I don''t think he was assuming I was looking to work illegally in the US either, or overstay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I am US citizen, I get secondary ever time I have came back from Philippines the last 10 trips.  I have been told it was because I travel out of the USA to Philippines on a regular basis. I only go about 2 times per year.  They think I am drug smuggler I was told

They ask the same questions. Where do you work, how are you able to travel so much, do you have cash you didn't report, some times they ask me to empty my pockets, and of course they look thru my luggage.  

When I came back with my fiance my last trip, The CBP officer asked me if I had filed my income taxes, which I thought was a tad strange.  She then told me to go to my local USCIS in Dallas after I was married to adjust status, I said ok.  It's been about 20 years since that was the process.

i had that problem going to my native country also. i enrolled in GE (global entry) and don't get harrassed with this questioning no more

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline

Our old neighbors ( 71 and 75 yrs old) USC-s, have been kept 4 hrs at POE after their 10 days trip to Jamaica , treated very badly, without any respect due to their age. They have been suspected to be drug dealers; smuggling drugs to USA.So much unecessary stress  ( they both have health issues).

I completely understand nature of officers job and I know it is very difficult and responsible one.But; why rude behaviour and disrespect? Any reason for that? They have complained after that horrible experience- but got just one generic  meaningless answer .

Timeline
On 4/25/2018 at 4:53 PM, Nemeseax said:

That seems to be very strange. Always thought that LPR are on somehow " higher level " according to crossing the border. 

I think quite the opposite----they want to make sure LPRs are abiding by the rules and not using a green card as a glorified tourist visa, hence more scrutiny sometimes with a GC depending on how long one was out of the country.