Merlofil

Entering US to marry for CR1 questions

44 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

I appreciate any help I can get on this topic. 

I am an Italian citizen doing long distance with my American girlfriend and we would like to live together now. I looked into the K1 and CR1 Visas and the CR1 looks more appealing as I would be able to work as soon as I get into the US. The issue is the marriage part. She cannot come to Europe to get married as she can't take time off and it would take at least two weeks to get married in Italy. I on the other hand have enough time to fly into the US and get married but I am afraid of being rejected at the border (essentially denying my access ever again). 

I was wondering whether if I bring letters from my professors in London, the schools office, return ticket and my lease I would be allowed in to get married and then depart. If flying in to get married although legal is too risky then we will go the K1 route and I'll have to sit around and wait to be able to work. 

My other question is, can I visit her when we have a pending application? Whether K1 or CR1? 

2 minutes ago, Merlofil said:

Hey everyone, 

I appreciate any help I can get on this topic. 

I am an Italian citizen doing long distance with my American girlfriend and we would like to live together now. I looked into the K1 and CR1 Visas and the CR1 looks more appealing as I would be able to work as soon as I get into the US. The issue is the marriage part. She cannot come to Europe to get married as she can't take time off and it would take at least two weeks to get married in Italy. I on the other hand have enough time to fly into the US and get married but I am afraid of being rejected at the border (essentially denying my access ever again). 

I was wondering whether if I bring letters from my professors in London, the schools office, return ticket and my lease I would be allowed in to get married and then depart. If flying in to get married although legal is too risky then we will go the K1 route and I'll have to sit around and wait to be able to work. 

My other question is, can I visit her when we have a pending application? Whether K1 or CR1? 

Yes, you can visit her on a pending petition this topic is routinely asked here on VJ.

Also you two can get married here in the USA with no issues at all. Bring that documentation with you when you come to the USA to get married and present them at the POE. When they ask what's going on then be honest and say "My fiancé and I are going to get married, I will then fly back to the UK to finish my studies. BTW here is some documentations showing that I will come back".

33 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yes, you can visit her on a pending petition this topic is routinely asked here on VJ.

Also you two can get married here in the USA with no issues at all. Bring that documentation with you when you come to the USA to get married and present them at the POE. When they ask what's going on then be honest and say "My fiancé and I are going to get married, I will then fly back to the UK to finish my studies. BTW here is some documentations showing that I will come back".

I have just seen lots of people stating that although its perfectly legal to come and get married and then leave its actually very hard to do in practice as the CBP get very defensive when it comes to people coming to get married. I would just much rather have the CR1 then the K1 but if proving my intent to go back to the UK could lead to me not being admitted I'm not sure its worth the risk. 

8 minutes ago, Merlofil said:

I have just seen lots of people stating that although its perfectly legal to come and get married and then leave its actually very hard to do in practice as the CBP get very defensive when it comes to people coming to get married. I would just much rather have the CR1 then the K1 but if proving my intent to go back to the UK could lead to me not being admitted I'm not sure its worth the risk. 

Going on vacation? Visiting your girlfriend? Seems fine to me.  Dont pack much, keep the time frame inside the USA short. Done.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, Merlofil said:

Because the vast majority of people LIE when they are going through POE. So once they are called out on their lie then the truth comes out and CBP is pissed.

Never lie to CBP. No one likes being lied to but in that case it's illegal. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Because the vast majority of people LIE when they are going through POE. So once they are called out on their lie then the truth comes out and CBP is pissed.

I would absolutely tell the truth and I would have, what I believe is, enough documentation to show that I will need to go back to the UK. You think if I tell the truth and have documentation I'll be fine? As I previously stated its the small risk of being turned away because that would compromise by relationship and potentially work in the future. 

41 minutes ago, JackG said:

Just get married in another jurisdiction that has very short resident requirements like 1-3 days, perhaps in the Caribbean. You can both do a short honeymoon and then the wedding is as valid as if you came to the US got married and left. No worry about being admitted and you can apply for the CR-1.

Unfortunately she will have no time off for us to do that and her family is relatively poor so they couldn't afford to come to the wedding. It's important for her to have them present when we get married. You think showing documentation that I will need to go back, such as letters from the school/professors, return flight and lease and being honest about it all won't be enough?

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Going on vacation? Visiting your girlfriend? Seems fine to me.  Dont pack much, keep the time frame inside the USA short. Done.

I have no intention to lie. I just want to know the risk involved in saying "I am here to marry my girlfriend, I have documentation to show that I will need to go back to London to finish my studies and we will apply for the CR1 visa from there". I want to do things the right way but always making sure that I dont put our relationship and future status at risk

2 minutes ago, Merlofil said:

Unfortunately she will have no time off for us to do that and her family is relatively poor so they couldn't afford to come to the wedding. It's important for her to have them present when we get married. You think showing documentation that I will need to go back, such as letters from the school/professors, return flight and lease and being honest about it all won't be enough?

Not really sure if it would be enough, but it could be. I can't stress more about being honest from the get go. A friend of mine told me from personal experience, if they sense you are not being honest they will refuse entry and then can create many more problems in the future. Good luck!

Hey everyone, 

I made a similar thread yesterday but received conflicting information therefore I wanted to post again in order to get more opinions!

My girlfriend and I (both 23) intend to get married in the US and then apply for the CR1 visa. We need to get married in the US as her family isnt very wealthy and they can't afford to go anywhere for the wedding. My girlfriend also can't go anywhere as she cant take time off work. 

My question is as follows, what are the risks of flying in to get married? My intention is obviously to leave and I would have a lease, letters from professors/school stating I need to fly back to complete my masters, return ticket and bank account/phone contract.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

There is always the risk of being turned away at the border. It is at the CBP officers discretion to believe you whether your intentions are genuine.

Be honest about your intentions that you will be there to get married and return to your home country to wait out the CR1 procedure. Be sure to carry with you proof that you need to return home, your lease, a letter from your employer that he expects you back ect.

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.