Dougb

Need help cfo requirement Philippines

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, Dougb said:

I was reading some other threads with problems with the cfo there. They seem go after the shy or timid ones. Those that are bossy or out spoken have no issues. My wife is very shy! I will see if I can go with her to talk to the cfo lady. 

That won't happen, you won't get in the door.  And if you did that would only set off more alarms if your fiancee is shy or timid, and you are there to "handle things"

My suggestion is you talk with your fiancee to be more confident (not bold, bossy or outspoken), looking the interviewer in the eyes when speaking .. and smile.    Not looking down or feeling stressed.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/cfo-orientation-seminar.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, cyberfx1024 said:

Ok, let me get this correct just so I am making sure on this one. You got married in the Philippines, then divorced here in the USA, then remarried in the Philippines to a different pinay right? How did you get around the NSO saying that your married in the beginning when trying to marry again?

I am going to request that this thread gets sent to the Philippines subforum so someone more knowledgeable than I can help you better.

Used to be that you can get married again in the Philippines but the PSA put the brakes on that so now as I'm told you have to petition the judge to annul the previous marriage and pay a hefty fee for an attorney anywhere from $500.00 to $1000 to have the marriage annulled and then it will be forwarded to PSA and have it officially annulled and that could take anywhere from 6 to 9 months. So most opt to just bring their fiancee over on a K1 visa and avoid the annulment fiasco. My fiancee wanted to get married there but it was too costly and it could take a very long time so it might be something you can do once u are finally married down the road.  How did the PSA miss that because when u register to get married in the province or Baraungay they will do a check for any prior marriages and so technically that is not a legal marriage.  

Edited by RyanMaria 2018
added more info

Timeline
On 4/18/2018 at 4:44 PM, Hank_ said:

Philippine citizenship has nothing to do with it.   You married in the Philippines, when requesting a CENOMAR it showed you to be married.  and then Pasay City let you marry again in the Philippines (??? that blows my mind).  You talked to attorneys in the Philippines and they said "no problem"?

https://lawyerphilippines.org/2017/04/11/recognition-of-foreign-divorce-in-the-philippines-process/

Getting married again anywhere on the planet except the Philippines is not an issue .. you are divorced and the rest of the world recognizes divorce.   

Used to be that you can get married again in the Philippines but the PSA put the brakes on that so now as I'm told you have have your divorce papers authenticated to the closest Philippine consulate there in your state or city and then send it to petition a judge to annul the previous marriage and pay a hefty attorney fee  anywhere from $500.00 to $1000 to have the marriage annulled and then it will be forwarded to PSA and have it officially annulled and that could take anywhere from 6 to 9 months. So most opt to just bring their fiancee over on a K1 visa and avoid the annulment fiasco. My fiancee wanted to get married there but it was too costly and it could take a very long time so it might be something you can do once u are finally married down the road.  I'm just wondering how did the PSA miss that because when u register to get married in the province or Baraungay they will do a check for any prior marriages and so technically that is not a legal marriage and also a cenomar needs to be filled out as a requirement.  Well hope it works for you guys.

Timeline
On 4/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, Dougb said:

How do I get the divorce recognized? 

Rapid Visa and attorneys tell me there's no problem and I don't need a Annulment as I am not or ever was a Philippine Citizen. 

Obviously Rapid Visa doesn't know what they are doing so forget them. Just have the divorce papers authenticated in your state or the nearest Philippine consulate. Then send it to an attorney and pay anywhere from 500 to 1,000 dollars to have a judge annul the previous marriage. After that then the PSA will annul the first marriage and then u can get married again but as I said before that process could take anywhere from 6 to 9 months so most couples just do the fiancee visa and get married that way.   

Timeline
2 hours ago, RyanMaria 2018 said:

Used to be that you can get married again in the Philippines but the PSA put the brakes on that so now as I'm told you have have your divorce papers authenticated to the closest Philippine consulate there in your state or city and then send it to petition a judge to annul the previous marriage and pay a hefty attorney fee  anywhere from $500.00 to $1000 to have the marriage annulled and then it will be forwarded to PSA and have it officially annulled and that could take anywhere from 6 to 9 months. So most opt to just bring their fiancee over on a K1 visa and avoid the annulment fiasco. My fiancee wanted to get married there but it was too costly and it could take a very long time so it might be something you can do once u are finally married down the road.  I'm just wondering how did the PSA miss that because when u register to get married in the province or Baraungay they will do a check for any prior marriages and so technically that is not a legal marriage and also a cenomar needs to be filled out as a requirement.  Well hope it works for you guys.

I am sure you meant this for the OP .. ;)  

Annulment isn't necessary if they complete the Recognition of Divorce.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

8 hours ago, RyanMaria 2018 said:

It is much closer to $5000 to $6000 for an annulment.  That is very serious cash there.  I think it currently runs about 250,000 php without "gifts".

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

$5000 sounds real

I think Rose paid around 300,000 php in 2012.  That included about 50,000 in those "gifts".  I'm not sure what the exchange rate was then.  I have another friend going through it now and she was told 200,000 php and that the government really stopped most of the traditional under the table deals

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

I think Rose paid around 300,000 php in 2012.  That included about 50,000 in those "gifts".  I'm not sure what the exchange rate was then.  I have another friend going through it now and she was told 200,000 php and that the government really stopped most of the traditional under the table deals

Exchange was around P40 in 2012  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Exchange was around P40 in 2012  

So her annulment was around $6200 plus gifts.  That is really serious money there.  I can understand why the average person won't get an annulment.

IMG_5168.jpeg

5 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

So her annulment was around $6200 plus gifts.  That is really serious money there.  I can understand why the average person won't get an annulment.

Because the average person simply can not afford it.

I know of a couple that were married had 3 kids both in the PNP at Camp Crame at the time. He got stationed in Butuan City in Mindanao and now has a new family, she had to go abroad to work to support the family. She has met a Kano man and wants to marry him but has to do the Annulment na.

6 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Because the average person simply can not afford it.

I know of a couple that were married had 3 kids both in the PNP at Camp Crame at the time. He got stationed in Butuan City in Mindanao and now has a new family, she had to go abroad to work to support the family. She has met a Kano man and wants to marry him but has to do the Annulment na.

That seems to be a somewhat common story there.  That makes the K-1 a much longer process and a bit more expensive.  I was lucky because one of Rose's old boyfriends paid for hers in 2011 and 2012.  He was filipino and he found an American woman and moved to the states right after the final payment was made.

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
26 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Yes that is very nasty, and we all know why there is only annulment in the Phils.    I know a fair number of people that have walked away from a marriage years ago and live as a couple with someone else.   

$6200 is almost 2 years wages for the average worker.   

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

34 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

That seems to be a somewhat common story there.  That makes the K-1 a much longer process and a bit more expensive.  I was lucky because one of Rose's old boyfriends paid for hers in 2011 and 2012.  He was filipino and he found an American woman and moved to the states right after the final payment was made.

I had ordered her cenomar again and now it shows up with me as her husband. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.