Lorna&Alex

POE in dublin airport

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey :)

So I was approved at my interview last week and I finally just booked my flight out to the US for June 13th woohoo :) it is a one-way flight so that's pretty scary!! 
I was looking at one-way flights for June and they were all just sooo expensive!! I finally found a flight with Aer Lingus for a decent price but the layover is in Dublin, and the US have their immigration clearance at the Dublin airport....which means I'm gonna have to do POE at Dublin... :/ I've done the US immigration clearance before in Dublin and it was absolutely fine but that was just on an Esta.  I have a 4 hour layover so I'm not worried about time but I am nervous about doing POE with my K1 when I'm not even in the US yet... Does anyone have any experiences with POE at Dublin airport?? Please let me know

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Really preclearance makes life so much easier.  You may be pulled into secondary for questioning so don't be alarmed.  But often with K1 they will just take your immigration package, sign a form and off ya go. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
45 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Really preclearance makes life so much easier.  You may be pulled into secondary for questioning so don't be alarmed.  But often with K1 they will just take your immigration package, sign a form and off ya go. 

thanks for the positive advice :) Do you know if i'll have to collect my bags in dublin so they can screen them and then check the bags back in again for the dublin-philly flight?

If you haven't booked yet, did you try Iceland Air?
I've booked pretty "short term" as well, and my one way flight with them was not even 1/3 as if I'd have taken one of the other airlines.

The only one comparable price wise was TAP back then. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, TearsOfBabylon said:

If you haven't booked yet, did you try Iceland Air?
I've booked pretty "short term" as well, and my one way flight with them was not even 1/3 as if I'd have taken one of the other airlines.

The only one comparable price wise was TAP back then. 

I have booked my flight.
My fiance flew icelandair for the first time last week and they were okay-ish. No free meals on the plane which sucks lol. Also, for my flight in June the icelandair flight was working out about £90 cheaper than the Aer Lingus flight but I'm taking 3 suitcases with me and it costs £66 per suitcase for icelandair and only £32 per suitcase for Aer Lingus. So if you want extra bags and food on the plane with icelandair it all adds up eventually

7 minutes ago, Lorna&Alex said:

I have booked my flight.
My fiance flew icelandair for the first time last week and they were okay-ish. No free meals on the plane which sucks lol. Also, for my flight in June the icelandair flight was working out about £90 cheaper than the Aer Lingus flight but I'm taking 3 suitcases with me and it costs £66 per suitcase for icelandair and only £32 per suitcase for Aer Lingus. So if you want extra bags and food on the plane with icelandair it all adds up eventually

Ahhhh ok!
I had a free meal on board. Came in a box looking like an IKEA box lol 
I actually had 1 suitcase free, but then we put me in Premium Eco with 2 suitcase and 2 carry on!
I like Delta more, but for 1200 Euro from Germany to Virginia, booked max 4 weeks prior AND oneway it was okay! Normal Eco would have been 750. All others would have charged like 2800 lol 

Timeline

Most people find return flights are cheaper, just make sure to cancel the return portion when you get to the us or it can cause issues with the us thinking you returned home 

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

2 hours ago, Lorna&Alex said:

thanks for the positive advice :) Do you know if i'll have to collect my bags in dublin so they can screen them and then check the bags back in again for the dublin-philly flight?

I'm unsure how Dublin works, but often you do have to recheck when you go through security again.  I would contact the airline and check the layout of the airport. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

A lot of people use Dublin pre-clearance. The only potential issue I could see, would be if something wasn't logged correctly with the I-94. Getting it corrected usually involves going back to your POE inspection site. Don't know how that would be done if the POE was Dublin.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
5 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

A lot of people use Dublin pre-clearance. The only potential issue I could see, would be if something wasn't logged correctly with the I-94. Getting it corrected usually involves going back to your POE inspection site. Don't know how that would be done if the POE was Dublin.

I'm not sure if I follow. Why would it need to be corrected? 

Just now, Lorna&Alex said:

I'm not sure if I follow. Why would it need to be corrected? 

Your I-94 needs to show the correct date of entry. Very important to have for your AOS, but especially important to have when trying to obtain an SSN before marriage. There are times when the officer may log the date incorrectly or not at all, and it's up to you to go back to the inspection site and prompt them to fix it. It doesn't happen to everyone of course, but it's one potential weird hypothetical hiccup.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
3 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Your I-94 needs to show the correct date of entry. Very important to have for your AOS, but especially important to have when trying to obtain an SSN before marriage. There are times when the officer may log the date incorrectly or not at all, and it's up to you to go back to the inspection site and prompt them to fix it. It doesn't happen to everyone of course, but it's one potential weird hypothetical hiccup.

Ah okay, I see. fortunately, I already have an SSN so it won't be an issue for that but I understand now how it could be an issue for filing AOS. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me :/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.